Android OS Watch

This discussion is closed.
IcEmAn911
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dnnr)
My HTC Hero is arriving tomorrow morning. So excited, it looks gorgeous. I've never had a phone like it, though. I'm intimidated, I sort of feel like it should be carrying me around in it's pocket.
I have the HTC Hero as well and to be honest even though I love it to bits, I cannot wait to get rid of it so that I can get a newer Android like the Desire with amazing specs and the opportunity to do more on it e.g. Adobe Flash.

If you're after the Hero, haven't you considered the Hero's successor??? HTC's Legend?
IcEmAn911
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Presidential)
The hero is a good phone, good choice.
Correction: The HTC Hero used* to be a good phone. It's outdated now compared to the HTC Desire, Evo, Legend, Incredible, Samsung Galaxy S, SE Experia, and all the other amazing Android handsets which have or are coming out.

The HTC Hero is old with a crappy 528mhz processor instead of the 1Ghz Snapdragon which is standard in most Android phones.
sleekchic
Badges: 2
Report 8 years ago
I've been told my Desire should be arriving tomorrow so I'm currently browsing accessories to go with it. :teeth:
dnnr
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by IcEmAn911)
I have the HTC Hero as well and to be honest even though I love it to bits, I cannot wait to get rid of it so that I can get a newer Android like the Desire with amazing specs and the opportunity to do more on it e.g. Adobe Flash.

If you're after the Hero, haven't you considered the Hero's successor??? HTC's Legend?
I've already got it, it was offered to me over the phone on a brilliant contract and the phone sounded great. So I got it. I still think it'll be brilliant, I can live without Flash.
xPipkinx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i've just bought the sony ericsson xperia x10 mini pro, and this is an android phone so i've learnt. what are the benefits of it being an android phone? as i've been using it and i don't know the differences between it and my last phone which wasn't an android phone :o: , sorry if this message is in the wrong place and seems rather stupid but i just stumbled across this thread so thought i'd ask
thanks for any replies
Presidential
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Correction: The HTC Hero used* to be a good phone. It's outdated now compared to the HTC Desire, Evo, Legend, Incredible, Samsung Galaxy S, SE Experia, and all the other amazing Android handsets which have or are coming out.

The HTC Hero is old with a crappy 528mhz processor instead of the 1Ghz Snapdragon which is standard in most Android phones.
Its still a good reliable phone.
IcEmAn911
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Presidential)
Its still a good reliable phone.
No doubt about that. But I'm just saying that these days, there are phones out there which are much better than the HTC Hero.
IcEmAn911
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dnnr)
I've already got it, it was offered to me over the phone on a brilliant contract and the phone sounded great. So I got it. I still think it'll be brilliant, I can live without Flash.
In that case, no worries then It's an excellent Android phone if you can live without Flash and future support past Android 2.1.
Presidential
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No doubt about that. But I'm just saying that these days, there are phones out there which are much better than the HTC Hero.
very true.
wizard710
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm in the US on holiday and sprint are really pushing the Evo 4G. seen a few people using them and they are very nice
IcEmAn911
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by wizard710)
I'm in the US on holiday and sprint are really pushing the Evo 4G. seen a few people using them and they are very nice
Hopefully the HTC Ace will look similar to the Sprint EVO :woo:
yoyo462001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Looks like Sprint is feeling the pressure of the Droid so Froyo is going to be pushed out very very soon, it's become top priority to Sprint now :rofl:.

Hopefully the HTC Ace will look similar to the Sprint EVO :woo:
I hope they use the Sony SuperLCD screens since it's extremely unlikely it will be Amoled. I've the comparison and the Super LCD isn't that much noticeable from the Amoled screen but offers better viewing in sunlight.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by xPipkinx)
i've just bought the sony ericsson xperia x10 mini pro, and this is an android phone so i've learnt. what are the benefits of it being an android phone? as i've been using it and i don't know the differences between it and my last phone which wasn't an android phone :o: , sorry if this message is in the wrong place and seems rather stupid but i just stumbled across this thread so thought i'd ask
thanks for any replies
Very simply - you can download apps from the market place.
IcEmAn911
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by yoyo462001)
Looks like Sprint is feeling the pressure of the Droid so Froyo is going to be pushed out very very soon, it's become top priority to Sprint now :rofl:.

I hope they use the Sony SuperLCD screens since it's extremely unlikely it will be Amoled. I've the comparison and the Super LCD isn't that much noticeable from the Amoled screen but offers better viewing in sunlight.
Well you can blame Samsung on the lack of amoled screens since they can't produce enough to meet demand, but could this be a tactic to increase awareness for the rest of their Galaxy S devices???? mmmmm o.O
Lil' Flo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just got my Desire today (the black one :drool: )
First things first: what are the essential apps?
Secondly, I can't seem to find Google talk on the phone.

Also, the phone is Orange branded. How do I go about flushing out the Orange firmware? Although it's unlocked, I was under the impression that the Orange stuff may be an obstacle when it comes to updating like to Froyo...

So excited. Have been looking forward to owning an Android device for a while now but I had no idea I'd be getting it so.soon.

Writing from my Desire
sleekchic
Report 8 years ago
Argh, waited all day for my Desire to arrive only for me to be told that there were 'delivery problems' and it would be delivered tomorrow. I really hope Tmobile has enough in stock.
markuk99
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Orange disable google talk from your phone. Basically they sell the phone as an android phone (which comes as standard with google talk) except they remove it from the phone and prevent you from using it. Basically misselling a product.

I would take it back within your 14 days and get the phone from any other phone operator.

Gtalk is great btw.. its always on, built into the system, and is just like receiving and sending free text messages. When my mate sends me a gtalk message it pops up on the notification bar just like a normal sms.

If you really want to keep orange.. you will have to reflash your phone and invalidate the warranty, just to use the features you were sold.
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
^whats the point if you're on contract? I have unlimited texts anyway (although I usually average around 50 a month). I use a lot of google services but Gtalk isn't one of them.
Lil' Flo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by markuk99)
Orange disable google talk from your phone. Basically they sell the phone as an android phone (which comes as standard with google talk) except they remove it from the phone and prevent you from using it. Basically misselling a product.

I would take it back within your 14 days and get the phone from any other phone operator.

Gtalk is great btw.. its always on, built into the system, and is just like receiving and sending free text messages. When my mate sends me a gtalk message it pops up on the notification bar just like a normal sms.

If you really want to keep orange.. you will have to reflash your phone and invalidate the warranty, just to use the features you were sold.
returning it is not really an option. i'm not on an Orange SIM and i'm not even in the UK atm. the phone was bought for me and so I won't know exactly when it was purchased. I wouldn't want to return it anyway.
I'm guessing the person that got it for me unlocked the phone and chucked the SIM shortly after purchase and then brought it over to me. A roundabout method but still, an awesome end result
How would I reflash the phone and how exactly does that work? Btw, is the warranty you are referring to provided by HTC or Orange?

when I get back in 2 weeks time, I'll probably switch to a 3 SIM

EDIT: I've managed to get GTalk back on the phone. Now to find Skype...
No.666
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wait for Froyo is slowing killing me though I know it can't be more than 38hrs away.

In other news my Desire keeps reseting itself and it's driving me insane.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (132)
18.38%
No (436)
60.72%
Not really bothered about them (150)
20.89%

Watched Threads