Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disconfigured)
    From the HTC site;
    "Update – HTC Hero Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) update
    In our commitment to providing you with the best user experience, we are pushing out a new firmware update to your HTC Hero with the ROM version 2.73.405.5. Your phone will receive a notification of this update when it is made available. Simply press OK to accept the update via a data connection such as Wi-Fi or GPRS/3G. After installing the update, you can confirm a successful update by confirming the Build number (From the Home Screen go to MENU> Settings> About Phone> Build number). The new Build number after the update will be 2.73.405.93; 2.73.405.94 (Nordic) & 2.73.405.95 (Greece/ Ireland). Update Information: Firmware over-the-air (FOTA) client update & YouTube player Update. Note:Please back up your data first before upgrading your phone. We recommend using a free Wi-Fi hotspot or an unlimited data plan to apply this update. If not, standard data connection charges may apply. For any questions, please contact us via http://www.htc.com/www/CA_Hotline.aspx"

Yayyy.
    Also, I have 1GB a month.. is this gonna be fine to do it through 3G? My wifi always cuts out
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/06...-are-up-first/ Also check this out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/06...-are-up-first/ Also check this out
    LOL. What a joke. Why would they do this?

I'm so glad I rooted and went to 2.1 ages ago. :yep: Looking forward to v1.7.1 of Cronos Droid - will include a Divx player and JIT with Sense UI. Will be sexy as fook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)

I'm so glad I rooted and went to 2.1 ages ago. :yep: Looking forward to v1.7.1 of Cronos Droid - will include a Divx player and JIT with Sense UI. Will be sexy as fook.
    I thought using JIT with Sense was like dividing by zero?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I thought using JIT with Sense was like dividing by zero?
    Not any more

ReputationRep:

The argument you have used here has become invalidated by revised procedure at HTC.

The Hero has each language released as it's own SKU. Therefore, when releasing worldwide simultaneously, you must wait for each SKU to be validated and tested. Makes sense.

Since the Hero, each phone has had one SKU for the whole planet, changing only the language pack of the phone where needed. This means the update process can be done a lot quicker.

IRT to bringing Sense UI to 2.1... it's not actually that difficult. The predominant issue is going to be running it with JIT enabled.
    You answered it yourself a few pages ago

Cronos looks to be picking up I'm tempted to jump from Villain to Cronos. I've heard Flash 10.1 is performing quite well with VillainFroyo (Yet to be released).

ReputationRep:
    Not any more
    I'm tired of waiting.

Gonna Titanium/NAND/EXT update and flash 1.7.1 when the link gets posted.

F5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    You answered it yourself a few pages ago
    Nah, I mean why send out a 100mb+ download, only to flash someone's Hero with another version of 1.5. It makes no Sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I'm tired of waiting.

Gonna Titanium/NAND/EXT update and flash 1.7.1 when the link gets posted.

F5
    Question: When you get told to wipe dalvik-cache, does it include having to wipe EXT as well?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I mean why send out a 100mb+ download, only to flash someone's Hero with another version of 1.5. It makes no Sense.
    To make sure it's the official HTC version of 1.5? Instead of a modded version of it...

ReputationRep:
    Question: When you get told to wipe dalvik-cache, does it include having to wipe EXT as well?
    Erm, yeah. EXT holds all app data which essentially becomes useless if you flash a new ROM. Also if you don't clear EXT before installing a backup then the EXT back up is not installed and 99% of apps are broken.

ReputationRep:
    To make sure it's the official HTC version of 1.5? Instead of a modded version of it...
    Wouldn't matter though. The updater does a whole flash. It happily works on phones with modified recovery modes too. Also, would a modded version even get OTA updates from wherever they come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Erm, yeah. EXT holds all app data which essentially becomes useless if you flash a new ROM. Also if you don't clear EXT before installing a backup then the EXT back up is not installed and 99% of apps are broken.
    Thanks. I always see references to wiping Dalvik Cache but without wiping the EXT part, so I never know when to clear EXT when using APP2SD.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I always see references to Dalvik Cache but without the EXT part, so I never know when to clear EXT when using APP2SD.
    As long as you back it up you can freely clear it without worrying too much.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't matter though. The updater does a whole flash. It happily works on phones with modified recovery modes too. Also, would a modded version even get OTA updates from wherever they come from?
    It must be tied into their protocol somehow then. Well, I can say that on some versions of Villainrom, the OTA function is linked to the Villain OTA app.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it taking so long for this ROM to be downloadable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Why is it taking so long for this ROM to be downloadable?
    Cronos 1.7.1? As Feeyo found some large errors and needed to correct them before release....

Official, coz HTC are **** devs :p:

ReputationRep:
    Cronos 1.7.1? As Feeyo found some large errors and needed to correct them before release....

Official, coz HTC are **** devs :p:
    Lol.

Any idea when it might come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Lol.

Any idea when it might come?
    Cronos? Tonight, maybe tomorrow, early next week at the latest I'd imagine. Depends how busy Feeyo is and if his wife will let him!

ReputationRep:
    Cronos? Tonight, maybe tomorrow, early next week at the latest I'd imagine. Depends how busy Feeyo is and if his wife will let him!
    It's up.

Brb, flashing.

ReputationRep:
    what is this cronos everyone is talking about? Is it a custom rom?

Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.