Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Push the date forward and the phone automagically checks for a new update

This update is taking forever

ReputationRep:
    ok....... my phone kinda switched off by itself, did the loading bar, switched back on and now its stuck on htc :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    ok....... my phone kinda switched off by itself, did the loading bar, switched back on and now its stuck on htc :s
    Just leave it, should sort itself out

At least that's what I'm hoping mine will do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Just leave it, should sort itself out

At least that's what I'm hoping mine will do
    lol its sorted itself out now but now it's downloading something else wtf? i've downloaded 3 files now, thought there were 2 updates?

ReputationRep:
    yay 2.1 finally, and i'm liking this

ReputationRep:
    yay 2.1 finally, and i'm liking this
    full 2.1?

ReputationRep:
    full 2.1?
    what do you mean by full?

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean by full?
    rather than just part 1?

ReputationRep:
    rather than just part 1?
    yea the full 2.1 - i got all 3 updates in one go. Set the date to 2011 instead

ReputationRep:
    yea the full 2.1 - i got all 3 updates in one go. Set the date to 2011 instead
    Haha wow. I think I will try that or do you have an unbranded phone

ReputationRep:
    Haha wow. I think I will try that or do you have an unbranded phone
    i bought it from carphone warehouse under a vodafone contract so i dunno if that makes my phone branded or not lol - it has no branding as such on it though so in that sense no it isn't but whether or not it's sim locked i have no idea

ReputationRep:
    lol i only just realised i forgot to reset my date on my phone and for some strange reason my phone reset itself to 1980

ReputationRep:
    ^does this work on the Magic too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    ^does this work on the Magic too?
    No it is the hero 2.1 update

Bah, reset my phone and tried the update again and it has just hanged at the same place last time. Doesn't seem to be updating at all

ReputationRep:
    How the **** to I get out of fast boot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disconfigured)
    I'm not happy
    Why bother waiting for the official update? Just geta hacked version - there's plenty out there. Actually if you do do this, just get Froyo instead.
    (Original post by Ducklighter)
    If I unlock the phone will that mean it's unbranded or still on 3?
    Unlocking the phone just means you can utilise any service provider. To get rid of the branding will require rooting or flashing depending on the phone you've got.

My Desire I've had to root and flash to get rid of the Orange apps that were cemented to my ROM. But now I can do apps2sd and am using Froyo when it's only out on the Nexus One.

Desire won't be getting the official update until September. By September I'll be sure to have a hacked version of Gingerbread on it!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    How the **** to I get out of fast boot
    Sometimes taking the battery and sim out and placing it back in again. I've heard this happen to others and they've done the same thing and it's worked.

PS. One last thing. Let's all laugh at Apple iPhone 4 users - especially from Desire Android users. I've been intrigued by the iPhone 4, but no way in gods hell is it a better phone. Not least because when people complain about updates on Android, Apple will take 2 years to provide one! And I'm sorry, but HTC's sense UI whacks the iPhone 4. After a good play with one, I'm so relieved to not be changing. HAPPY RECEPTION HUNTING IPHONE FOLKS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)
    Sometimes taking the battery and sim out and placing it back in again. I've heard this happen to others and they've done the same thing and it's worked.

PS. One last thing. Let's all laugh at Apple iPhone 4 users - especially from Desire Android users. I've been intrigued by the iPhone 4, but no way in gods hell is it a better phone. Not least because when people complain about updates on Android, Apple will take 2 years to provide one! And I'm sorry, but HTC's sense UI whacks the iPhone 4. After a good play with one, I'm so relieved to not be changing. HAPPY RECEPTION HUNTING IPHONE FOLKS!
    I would have to argue against you, the past 24 hours has taught me that updating an android phone is far from simple compared to the iphone

ReputationRep:
    I would have to argue against you, the past 24 hours has taught me that updating an android phone is far from simple compared to the iphone
    An official update by Andriod is extremely simple. But if you're implementing a hacked version, well, it's going to be a few buttons harder with a bit of nouse and technical understanding. But that's the beauty of Andriod users - we like the complexity and technical side whilst iPhone users like MyFace and Spacebook. Different minds entirely

ReputationRep:
    sounds like yours has some kind of fault. Mine updated no problem in about 15 mins...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.