Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Wait.. what..
    You install a custom recovery ROM, then flash the rooted ROM through that. You don't have root access until you boot in to the custom ROM for the first time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    You install a custom recovery ROM, then flash the rooted ROM through that. You don't have root access until you boot in to the custom ROM for the first time.
    I'm pretty sure the recovery image needs root access to flash the custom ROM in the first place. A custom ROM only gives you root within Android itself..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I'm pretty sure the recovery image needs root access to flash the custom ROM in the first place. A custom ROM only gives you root within Android itself..
    You can invoke a SU request within a Custom Recovery image, much as you can with ADB, though for keeping it simple for first time users, I feel that telling them you need root to flash a custom ROM (where flashing a custom ROM seems to be the only way to obtain root) is confusing.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Has anyone installed a custom eclair 2.1 ROM for their HTC Hero- which includes the live wallpapers?? Can anyone please tell me which 2.1 ROM is best to install?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.K.B)
    Hey guys. Has anyone installed a custom eclair 2.1 ROM for their HTC Hero- which includes the live wallpapers?? Can anyone please tell me which 2.1 ROM is best to install?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715728

Probably that one for Live Wallpapers tbh. Though our phones just ain't powerful enough to do most of them justice.

ReputationRep:
    HTC Ace is meant to be coming soon to UK.
    4.3" screen, h/w keyboard and dual core processor.

Pinch of salt, but day one if true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    You can invoke a SU request within a Custom Recovery image, much as you can with ADB, though for keeping it simple for first time users, I feel that telling them you need root to flash a custom ROM (where flashing a custom ROM seems to be the only way to obtain root) is confusing.
    With the utmost respect, can you please provide a further source for this, and those who haven't bricked their phone either?!

Not that I need to do this because I'm rooted anyway through the old Goldcard mechanism (Desire).

PS. Whoever said Villain wasn't quick on 2.1 - seriously! I tried so many ROM's and Villain was by far and away the quickest (on the Hero at the time).

ReputationRep:
    Too much iPhone on this forum :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    ^too many i*******s on this forum, at least there is the sanctuary offered in this thread!

ReputationRep:
    BRB, going from Cronos 1.7.1 to 2.0.2.. Wish me luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    BRB, going from Cronos 1.7.1 to 2.0.2.. Wish me luck.
    Have fun

ReputationRep:
    2.0.2 is so much nicer and it seems stable, so far.
    Not sure about the gloss but I'll live.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting app developer from Google - http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/12/a...veloper-video/ - seems simple enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    Interesting app developer from Google - http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/12/a...veloper-video/ - seems simple enough.
    Looks similar to that simplistic programming model used in low level programming teaching..
    I think I'll play about with it but nothing remarkable will ever be made with it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Looks similar to that simplistic programming model used in low level programming teaching..
    I think I'll play about with it but nothing remarkable will ever be made with it..
    By the video on Engadget (a picture of a kitten that meows when you click it), I don't think Google's aim is to create complex applications through it. It looks like it's just to give more people entry level access to application development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    By the video on Engadget (a picture of a kitten that meows when you click it), I don't think Google's aim is to create complex applications through it. It looks like it's just to give more people entry level access to application development.
    Plus in the survey (you need to complete before registering for an invite) it seems geared towards low level programming teaching.

Oh how I would have loved if Android was available for us and we started with this and moved onto Java in high school :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Plus in the survey (you need to complete before registering for an invite) it seems geared towards low level programming teaching.

Oh how I would have loved if Android was available for us and we started with this and moved onto Java in high school :moon:
    I'm looking forward to using it. I have scant knowledge of java and trying to start my android app was hopeless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    I'm looking forward to using it. I have scant knowledge of java and trying to start my android app was hopeless.
    TBF you could make a mean fart app with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    TBF you could make a mean fart app with it.
    but so will everyone else so the market is going to rocket with crapware

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    but so will everyone else so the market is going to rocket with crapware
    It would be a nice idea to have an "Inventor" section in the Market and only the best (if any) make it into the real world and can be charged for

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.