Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We need more quality apps in android. They are too many crap apps such as random live wallpapers which means you cant find decent ones. We need more categories in the market and a better search system i.e most downloaded etc. Only thing I think iPhone OS is better than android

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zain1612)
    We need more quality apps in android. They are too many crap apps such as random live wallpapers which means you cant find decent ones. We need more categories in the market and a better search system i.e most downloaded etc. Only thing I think iPhone OS is better than android
    There are quite a few things that are wrong with the market, not only tonnes of crapware but also blatant copyright infringement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    There are quite a few things that are wrong with the market, not only tonnes of crapware but also blatant copyright infringement
    For wallpaper: Ownskin is the one to get. I'm doing live Mario in the background at the moment; sad I know, but cool all for but a second.

Regarding copyright infringement: My good friend is an app developer and he has a team of about 8 people creating apps for him. His argument against Andriod is exactly this problem not to mention the fact you can get a lof of his apps for free because of the open source platform. It's not conducive to his business with Andriod, which when you think about it is worrying.

But he's still developing knowing that Android is simply exponential over the next few years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)
    For wallpaper: Ownskin is the one to get. I'm doing live Mario in the background at the moment; sad I know, but cool all for but a second.

Regarding copyright infringement: My good friend is an app developer and he has a team of about 8 people creating apps for him. His argument against Andriod is exactly this problem not to mention the fact you can get a lof of his apps for free because of the open source platform. It's not conducive to his business with Andriod, which when you think about it is worrying.

But he's still developing knowing that Android is simply exponential over the next few years.
    And google will eventually have to do something to keep the devs happy

I think google don't want to repeat the farce that is the app store approval but that could easily be remedied by having a large group of application testers (So apps are tested quickly) who have a clear set of rules as to what to allow in and what to ban and then communicate this effectively with developers should their app not get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)
    With the utmost respect, can you please provide a further source for this
    Regarding what? Running SU commands in a custom recovery image? Or my point of keeping it simple for first time rooters? (Sorry - I've been away at Silverstone the last few days, hence late reply).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zain1612)
    The market could definitely be refined a lot.

A proper tagged search system would be nice, and yes - more quality apps. I also think the interface is a bit crap compared to some of the other apps. The market should be a showcase for Android, not it's one failing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    The market could definitely be refined a lot.

A proper tagged search system would be nice, and yes - more quality apps. I also think the interface is a bit crap compared to some of the other apps. The market should be a showcase for Android, not it's one failing.
    I get annoyed when I search something slightly mis-spelt and it doesn't find it

ReputationRep:
    I get annoyed when I search something slightly mis-spelt and it doesn't find it
    Especially when you know Google have a rather well implemented spell checker in their search engine... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Especially when you know Google have a rather well implemented spell checker in their search engine... :rolleyes:
    The 2.2 market has the search correction.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oh yeah has anyone seen the big push by carphone warehouse behind Android, I was like :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben25)
    The 2.2 market has the search correction.

Oh well. I'll just have to wait for some clever folks at XDA to make my Hero run 2.2 then.

ReputationRep:

Oh well. I'll just have to wait for some clever folks at XDA to make my Hero run 2.2 then.
    Cyanogen 6 looks good but doesn't support hero, hopefully will soon though

ReputationRep:
    Cyanogen 6 looks good but doesn't support hero, hopefully will soon though
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=714923

I'm very sure it will.

ReputationRep:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=714923

I'm very sure it will.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoL2UE_tiaY

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoL2UE_tiaY
    Do want Mario LWP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Oh yeah has anyone seen the big push by carphone warehouse behind Android, I was like :love:
    Same with 3 from what I can see

ReputationRep:
    Do want Mario LWP!
    Seeing as HTC have taken it out the official build I wonder how the hero will cope

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as HTC have taken it out the official build I wonder how the hero will cope
    It handles some of them fine, others not so good.

ReputationRep:
    Regarding what? Running SU commands in a custom recovery image? Or my point of keeping it simple for first time rooters? (Sorry - I've been away at Silverstone the last few days, hence late reply).
    Me too: Practice; Quali and the Race! I went care of my work. We had Club Silverstone tickets, so were sat in the stand at Becketts which now shows the other side of the track since they changed it. We also got to see Becketts/Maggots/Hangar straight, so a pretty good view. I got burnt to high heaven as well (not in the stand as were under cover - but in the club house).

Re Andriod: I can't say I've heard of your method before with rooting. I've never heard of anyone else doing it this way, hence why I wanted to see someone else trying this method.

ReputationRep:
    Can any of you reccomend any android app? I mean I like peep, but I think I want to use something different now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.