The Student Room Group

People who've done law work experience?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Troubled_Student
Yeah i've heard when you watch a trail and you see the the barrister doing his job, it's like snoozee. :smile:

I still find it tedious and that's despite knowing what the hell they're talking about :p:! Then you have to listen to the judge summing up absolutely everything which takes hours and hours, if not days. It's just not a happy experience... :p:
For the last two days [Tuesday and Wednesday] i've done practically the same, other than additional jobs such as running stuff like letters and files to the magistrates and Crown Court, and buying shopping for the woman who like tells me what to do. she made me get toilet roll today, i had to walk the entire way through town at like a busy time, with a pack of 12 toilet rolls :smile: I think i may be going to a case tomorrow or Friday, and i think i'll ask the woman tomorrow if i actually do anything else than;

Fold and place letters into Envelopes, before putting them in post box after someone franks them. [Yes i'm not allowed to use Franking Machine :smile:]
Run letters and files everywhere :smile:
Write out extremely dull numbers regarding cases before putting them in a box
Get work experience in a courthouse!!

I'm doing it and it's GREAT. You get to sit there and listen to the trials and cases and every time there's a break or the mag.'s retire, you can speak to many different solicitors/barristers etc. I'm having a great week :smile:
irish_4_life
Get work experience in a courthouse!!

I'm doing it and it's GREAT. You get to sit there and listen to the trials and cases and every time there's a break or the mag.'s retire, you can speak to many different solicitors/barristers etc. I'm having a great week :smile:

:frown: If only...
Troubled_Student
:frown: If only...

Dudeee, what's that about? Am I a lucky one enjoying the work exp or do you mean if only you could get work exp there?
irish_4_life
Dudeee, what's that about? Am I a lucky one enjoying the work exp or do you mean if only you could get work exp there?

Both!
:frown:
Troubled_Student
Both!
:frown:

How many have you conacted? Seriously... I contacted about 10 courts and I get two busses and a 15 minute walk....

Email EVERYONE, and you will get work experience. No doubt.
Reply 47
Troubled_Student
Basically i'm doing work at a law firm now, a weeks work experience, today for eight hours i was in a room on my own sitting there putting letters into envelopes, for eight hours with basically no-one speaking to me other than "Here's another letter mate"

Please tell me it will get better?

A lot of firms do this, as it's basically free labour, but at least you'll be able to say on your CV that you've done work experience at a law firm!

On my last work experience placement I went to court a few times and met clients for appointments, but sometimes I too was sat putting mail in envelopes and at other times I was typing up notes on the computer with legal secretaries which was, in all honesty, VERY boring. But don't let it put you off, because if you want to be a solicitor, you won't be stuffing envelopes :smile: A lot of firms just don't have much work for you to do, but understand how important it can be to say you've had work experience!
Reply 48
How long did everyone do work experience for?
Vixen123
A lot of firms do this, as it's basically free labour, but at least you'll be able to say on your CV that you've done work experience at a law firm!

On my last work experience placement I went to court a few times and met clients for appointments, but sometimes I too was sat putting mail in envelopes and at other times I was typing up notes on the computer with legal secretaries which was, in all honesty, VERY boring. But don't let it put you off, because if you want to be a solicitor, you won't be stuffing envelopes :smile: A lot of firms just don't have much work for you to do, but understand how important it can be to say you've had work experience!

True, like i said the fact this is going on my UCAS is the only reason i'm still there, today same as Monday really, more letters, then a few more, then a few more. Then i closed over 20 old cases leaving no more to be done, leading my own total tally for total cases closed to just about a 100 :smile: extremely dull.

Then the boss called me in "Thank you for your hard work doing the letters and closing the cases, you can go home early now Thank you, and see you tomorrow" Who knows maybe he'll reward me by letting me go court! fapfapfap!
Hibz123
How long did everyone do work experience for?

Sorry for double post, 1 week and i'm glad i haven't applied for longer :smile:
Reply 51
Troubled_Student
True, like i said the fact this is going on my UCAS is the only reason i'm still there, today same as Monday really, more letters, then a few more, then a few more. Then i closed over 20 old cases leaving no more to be done, leading my own total tally for total cases closed to just about a 100 :smile: extremely dull.

Then the boss called me in "Thank you for your hard work doing the letters and closing the cases, you can go home early now Thank you, and see you tomorrow" Who knows maybe he'll reward me by letting me go court! fapfapfap!

Sounds really dull for you :frown: Maybe you could politely ask the boss if you could go to court? It might be worth a shot? I went to court three times on my last experience but twice I didn't get allowed in by the other parties (they were sensitive abuse cases) but I politely asked the boss if I could try and third time lucky I was allowed to sit in on a court case which lasted all day. So you might get lucky and he might let you! :biggrin:
Well today, last day, got to sit in a meeting with a solicitor and a guy who's being done for Driving offences was rather fun compared to what else i've been doing :smile: Next time [October break] i might try and get work experience in a barristers chambers, do you think that would be better?
Reply 53
How long in advance did you get your placement?
Hibz123
How long in advance did you get your placement?

I tell you this before Hibz :smile: I sent letter on the Monday, got replied to on the Wednesday.
Reply 55
Troubled_Student
I tell you this before Hibz :smile: I sent letter on the Monday, got replied to on the Wednesday.

Oh. Thanks:smile:
Reply 56
Yes, i have done law work experience. I was just sitting on a chair for most of the time i was there, was really boring. I was made to do things that i didn't understand, or things that i wasn't allowed to be doing.

It didn't help as the women who owned the company was so annoying, she kept tutting every minute and when you are trying to work, it gets irritating after a few mins.

The best thing i think i got to do was use the franking machine loool, i also looked forward to going home and going out to lunch :smile:
tashypoox
Yes, i have done law work experience. I was just sitting on a chair for most of the time i was there, was really boring. I was made to do things that i didn't understand, or things that i wasn't allowed to be doing.

It didn't help as the women who owned the company was so annoying, she kept tutting every minute and when you are trying to work, it gets irritating after a few mins.

The best thing i think i got to do was use the franking machine loool, i also looked forward to going home and going out to lunch :smile:

I wasn't allowed to use the franking machine :frown:I had to fold all the letters, place them in the envelopes then leave them in a huge pile for someone to frank them for me, before i put them in the postbox :frown:

I had an hour long lunch it was the highlight of my day.
Reply 58
It helps yes, but working for a week in a local magistrates or a crown court will be fine. my brothers a lawyer and i got to do a week at Clifford Chance law firm in London, loved it! commercial law is a lot more exciting than you think :smile:
I think it depends I have done two law placements as I am doing a 4 year course at Brunel.

The first was at a criminal firm although we got to travel to crown court and prison, most of it was colating defence chronologies.

The second was at a city firm. The work was varied and kept me busy, although it was unpaid. I did stuff like writing letters to clients, other solicitors, estate agencies. I drafted a decree nisi, proof read various employment contracts and more.
I was involved with alot, because it was a small firm dealing with civil cases.

However, I must say you only get good experience if you spend more than a month at a firm.

Quick Reply

Latest