The Student Room Group

People who've done law work experience?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
could you pm me the name please! im eagerly trying to find a good firm specially in connection with the old bailey! please, thanks.
Reply 61
Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi

could you pm me the name please! im eagerly trying to find a good firm specially in connection with the old bailey! please, thanks.
Reply 62
i was able to get work experience with the barristers and sit in on cases
Reply 63
I've managed to secure work experience for 3 days next week which is quite exciting. I'm at a law firm in Manchester. It's too late to put it on my Personal Statement but hopefully I can bring it up in interviews.
Original post by Jockie
I've managed to secure work experience for 3 days next week which is quite exciting. I'm at a law firm in Manchester. It's too late to put it on my Personal Statement but hopefully I can bring it up in interviews.

I know you posted this a few months back, but would you mind telling me which firm this was at? I'm looking for Manchester firms and no one seems to be replying to my emails!
Was it any good in the end? :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by dr.phalange
I know you posted this a few months back, but would you mind telling me which firm this was at? I'm looking for Manchester firms and no one seems to be replying to my emails!
Was it any good in the end? :smile:

It was really through having a contact - it was a friend of a friend of a family member and they were able to secure it for me. It was mainly admin work but just being in the office was great and I got a feel for what they were doing. Then on the last day I was able to go to court and shadow a duty solicitor. It's a very beneficial thing to do.
Original post by Jockie
It was really through having a contact - it was a friend of a friend of a family member and they were able to secure it for me. It was mainly admin work but just being in the office was great and I got a feel for what they were doing. Then on the last day I was able to go to court and shadow a duty solicitor. It's a very beneficial thing to do.

So what firm was it? :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by dr.phalange
So what firm was it? :smile:

Stokoe Partnership. I'm not sure whether they would do it normally - it was more because we had a mutual friend. But I'd definitely keep writing to firms and try and get some experience.
I did a week's work experience at Clifford Chance, and I think it was really down to what you make of the opportunity. The more proactive and efficient you are, the more work they're going to give you, since you're essentially helping them out for free. I got to work with the Banking practice groups and it was actually really interesting- so it's not all that boring and gloomy :tongue:

PS: I'm in year 12
What is it about some organizations treating placement students as the lacky? I did a week works experience and my hightlight was making cups of tea :angry: I got really annoyed and refused to go the last two days :p:o
Reply 70
Well...
does it really so important to get a experience through the applying?
Reply 71
Original post by sumerest
Well...
does it really so important to get a experience through the applying?

I know it may sounds a little stupid...
But it's really hard to get the opportunity to get related work experience of law
so I just wonder that if there is any specific opinions about getting a experience?
thx a lot!!!!
Original post by sumerest
I know it may sounds a little stupid...
But it's really hard to get the opportunity to get related work experience of law
so I just wonder that if there is any specific opinions about getting a experience?
thx a lot!!!!

Contact high street firms :smile:
Original post by memszie
i was able to get work experience with the barristers and sit in on cases

how?
I did a week of work experience after I had graduated from uni. The first day all I did was look through letters sent from charities and make a list of all the charities. I also attended a home visit with one of the private client practitioners. did not learn anything in terms of law, but it helped to understand roughly what they do day to day.

Towards the end I got to do a bit more, I was shown some of their case management systems and I did little bits and pieces.

I think once they get to know you better and see what you can do and that you are doing well, they will give you more things; just don't expect anything which requires responsibility. They could ask you to draft letters and then check them maybe.

In the end, something might come out of it, such as promise to take you back for more once you have advanced in your studies and even a job or a TC. Keeping in touch with them is the key. Go to their Christmas parties and bbqs if invited and mingle.
Reply 75
Original post by sparkles.
how?

Original post by sydneyfox
I did a week of work experience after I had graduated from uni. The first day all I did was look through letters sent from charities and make a list of all the charities. I also attended a home visit with one of the private client practitioners. did not learn anything in terms of law, but it helped to understand roughly what they do day to day.

Towards the end I got to do a bit more, I was shown some of their case management systems and I did little bits and pieces.

I think once they get to know you better and see what you can do and that you are doing well, they will give you more things; just don't expect anything which requires responsibility. They could ask you to draft letters and then check them maybe.

In the end, something might come out of it, such as promise to take you back for more once you have advanced in your studies and even a job or a TC. Keeping in touch with them is the key. Go to their Christmas parties and bbqs if invited and mingle.

Please don't resurrect four year old threads. :angry:
when i did my work experience at a law firm last year after my GCSE's it was actually really good. The first day was pretty boring but they had different stuff for me to do every day. I went to the Old Bailey, got to work in the library, helped in the office of a legal executive and i was even given some mock little research tasks to do. I guess I was lucky that i had a family friend who was a solicitor in the firm. If you still wanna get some interesting work experience i could pm you thr name of the firm i did mine at.

Please can you send me the name of the firm
when i did my work experience at a law firm last year after my GCSE's it was actually really good. The first day was pretty boring but they had different stuff for me to do every day. I went to the Old Bailey, got to work in the library, helped in the office of a legal executive and i was even given some mock little research tasks to do. I guess I was lucky that i had a family friend who was a solicitor in the firm. If you still wanna get some interesting work experience i could pm you thr name of the firm i did mine at.

Hey, would you mind telling me what the place was? I’m trying rly hard to get experience and I’ve been turned down a lot. Hope you can help
I’ve almost completed my law work experience and it has been amazing. They kept me on my feet all day-organising post,filing file cards,taking letters/important documents to senior partners,photocopying,faxing and building files. Building the files was interesting and a bit challenging because each of the solicitors like their files made in a particular way.

I’ve also had two days out in court which I loved and seeing the proceedings and how it is played out is interesting although very long.

I was lucky to join a firm that has such nice, hardworking people that enjoy what they do and understand that they once were in the position that you are now and I’m quite sad to be leaving.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending