This discussion is closed.
Dichotomy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by belis)
It's just a film coat used to disguise the nasty taste. Enjoy. :p:
Yeah, I've taken the capsule off one and the powder inside was rather bitter. :yes:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
practice?
Surely_unsure
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by belis)
It's just a film coat used to disguise the nasty taste. Enjoy. :p:
OK thank you. I'm so frustrated because I start work (at a blummin' call centre!) on Thursday and I'm not sure I'll be ok on time. In fact I'm pretty sure I won't be. I've been living on glucose solution today because I can't take food and fruit juices make me gag (with a swollen tonsil and uvula, it's just not fun).

My doctor advised me to gargle aspirin, but it hasn't been much help to be honest. I've also sucked on my first Dequacaine lozenge and it provides a little relief.

Aside from the pain I just hate feeling so powerless. That's what is annoying me the most. Swallowing is something we all take for granted until problems strike.
orionmoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by anandv05)
Finally somebody else who can't swallow tablets, i cant swallow tablets either!! But I dont know the answer to your question
I also can't swallow tablets. I normally just put up with headaches and anything i've been given antibiotics for.. i've just left them for a few days after attempting to swallow and the problems gone away it's self lol
BradyM
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Up til 2 weeks ago, when I got prescribed the same thing, I couldn't swallow pills either. But I had to learn because they were in slow release capsules. So if you have capsules I don't think it's a great idea to crush them, if not capsules then there shouldn't be a problem. I don't know if this will help but i just put water in my mouth first so the pill floats and you can't feel it. It helped me.
cconstant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dances_with_lamposts)
If the op was allergic te penicillin, they would also be allergic to amoxicillin.
:facepalm: I knew that 'n'all
Chloedpp
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Ive tried ringing my pharmacy to try and get liquid dose but they wont give it to me as i have a gag reflex makes me gag and then i cant swallow putting me off my food what do i do i believe the liquid would heal me better
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Chloedpp)
Ive tried ringing my pharmacy to try and get liquid dose but they wont give it to me as i have a gag reflex makes me gag and then i cant swallow putting me off my food what do i do i believe the liquid would heal me better
For future reference, it's best to make a new thread rather than replying to old ones cos that tends to confuse people and you should end up with better responses in your own thread.

As far as the antibiotics go, if you want a liquid dose of anything is best to ask the GP to specify when they write the script. If your pharmacy isn't going to give you one now you could call your doctor to ask for them to ask the pharmacy for a liquid, ask the pharmacy if you can crush the tablets or try taking the tablets with a thick drink.
I used to be terrible at swallowing tablets- couldn't even take a tiny little antihistamine- but then I had to take regular stuff so I learned ways to make it easier. What I suggest trying is putting some milkshake in your mouth (masks the tablet and the taste) before the tablet then popping the tablet in, swishing it around so you can't tell where the tablet is and taking a big gulp. If you can crush it then you can put it in with some yoghurt or similar, try to swallow it all in one (so you don't get the bitter taste in your teeth) and wash it down quickly with a flavoured drink.
Antibiotics can also make you feel a bit sick, so take them with food of you can. It'll stop it upsetting you tummy so much cos it's diluted with all the food.

Hope that helps
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
morgannnpx
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I can’t swallow them either! I’ve just chewed a capsule antibiotic!
Seamore
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes you can crush it put it in a little applesauce.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed