Turn on thread page Beta

Your view on the mobile phone ban whilst driving watch

ReputationRep:
    I would have to say that personally I agree with the ban on people talking on their mobiles whilst driving.

I am however slightly concerned that various people are pushing for the legislation to be taken further and for a ban on hands free kits.

I dont see how a ban on hands free kits would achieve anything. Whatever next - ban the driver from chatting to anyone else in car? Ban Radios etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    I would have to say that personally I agree with the ban on people talking on their mobiles whilst driving.

I am however slightly concerned that various people are pushing for the legislation to be taken further and for a ban on hands free kits.

I dont see how a ban on hands free kits would achieve anything. Whatever next - ban the driver from chatting to anyone else in car? Ban Radios etc...
    Exactly, but then other people (not me) argue that conversations in the car don't take your mind away from the road, and you can stop and start whenever, while it is harder to do that in a phone conversation.
    I just think that drivers should be sensible in the way they behave.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno. I agree with the mobile ban, i get so mad when i see people with um in the car. Im not sure about the hands free kit ban though. Talkin to someone else does put you off ur driving and it is dangerous so its a tricky matter!

ReputationRep:
    At least talking to someone in the car, they can see the road so know when a tricky bit is coming up, like a roundabout or something, and so will stop talking, whereas a person on the phone can't see that. I'm dead against talking on the phone, whether it's hands free or not. In Jersey they've had a ban on all mobile phones whilst driving for years.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I agree completely with the ban, although I've been known to use a mobile when driving...and in certain circumstances might find myself breaking the law.

I do a *lot* of motorway driving (well I think 70 miles a day is a lot, 45+ of it on motorways), in an automatic car with a steering knob (and optional hand controls) which essentially makes it completely safe to drive one handed. On the motorway I don't feel answering my mobile effects my driving at all (in fact I find speaking to people physically present far more distracting). I would never phone out on my mobile (there's a big difference between picking up a phone and pressing any button at random to answer and scrolling through lists to phone someone - one requires taking you eyes (or concentration) off the road for far too long in my opinion - the other is no more distracting than turning the volume down on the radio.

I'll probably get a hands free kit and a cradle (my contract has just passed the 12 month stage again so I'm due for a new phone and I can probably get the accessories bundled in), but it's likely to be after christmas when I've got some money available...in the meantime I'm going to make an effort to phone before I drive off to try to prevent getting calls en route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I agree completely with the ban, although I've been known to use a mobile when driving...and in certain circumstances might find myself breaking the law.

I do a *lot* of motorway driving (well I think 70 miles a day is a lot, 45+ of it on motorways), in an automatic car with a steering knob (and optional hand controls) which essentially makes it completely safe to drive one handed. On the motorway I don't feel answering my mobile effects my driving at all (in fact I find speaking to people physically present far more distracting). I would never phone out on my mobile (there's a big difference between picking up a phone and pressing any button at random to answer and scrolling through lists to phone someone - one requires taking you eyes (or concentration) off the road for far too long in my opinion - the other is no more distracting than turning the volume down on the radio.

I'll probably get a hands free kit and a cradle (my contract has just passed the 12 month stage again so I'm due for a new phone and I can probably get the accessories bundled in), but it's likely to be after christmas when I've got some money available...in the meantime I'm going to make an effort to phone before I drive off to try to prevent getting calls en route.

I cant believe you would do that. People who use mobiles whilst driving are complete and utter *****. U might think it doesnt effect ur driving but it does. Especially when u hav one hand on the wheel. U mite say u hav all that crap in ur car but it still dont help that much. Especially on the motorway. SO many accidents are caused, especiallly fatal ones, because twits like you use ur mobile phone. Hands free kits cost around a fiver. Buy one now, i dont care what you say, but it CAN save a life. I hope you get fined for using ur mobile, u deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the ban, a man was on his mobile yesterday afternoon and wasn't able to stop in time when he came out of a side road without looking and if it wasn't for my mam's quick reactions and slow speed, he would of crashed into us! :eek:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lil_bristolian)
    I cant believe you would do that. People who use mobiles whilst driving are complete and utter *****. U might think it doesnt effect ur driving but it does. Especially when u hav one hand on the wheel. U mite say u hav all that crap in ur car but it still dont help that much.
    Thank you for your well thought out response.

The "crap" in my car are adaptions for drivers with disabilities? Are you implying that one armed people shouldn't be allowed to drive with adaptions - or are you saying that someone with one arm is safer driving with adaptions than someone with two arms using the same adaptions to drive one handed?

Especially on the motorway. SO many accidents are caused, especiallly fatal ones, because twits like you use ur mobile phone. Hands free kits cost around a fiver. Buy one now, i dont care what you say, but it CAN save a life. I hope you get fined for using ur mobile, u deserve it.
    Do you drive on motorways - do you even drive? Cruising at 70 without changing lane takes far less concentration than driving in town or in traffic, stopping and starting and turning corners...in those circumstances I wouldn't dream of using a mobile, and I agree that the people who do are putting others at risk unecessarily.

As for hands free kits for a fiver I think you're misunderstanding the legislation - a plug in earphone/mic handsfree kit is still banned - unless the phone is held in a cradle...and the cheapest of these cost around £20 + the time/charge for fitting it (and I would have to obtain permission from Motability to fit a cradle to their car which takes between 5 and 28 days (I've already applied but they're obviously quite busy processing these requests)). Under the lease agreement I'm not allowed to fit any adaptions myself and it all has to be done through an approved fitter...which jacks the price right up.

I may well get fined...the same as many people who get fined everyday for speeding (which I don't do).

ReputationRep:
    Yup good move
    Only used a mobile once while driving and christ i could barely drive! changing gear is a nightmare :-/

Hands free kits....well if they're banned you could to an extent liken them to talking to your mate in the passenger seat.

Thumbs up from me though

ReputationRep:
    if the hands free kit is banned then my mum won't be able to do her job. she needs to talk on the moblie during jorneys cos she is a moblie warden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deanimate)
    Yup good move
    Only used a mobile once while driving and christ i could barely drive! changing gear is a nightmare :-/

Hands free kits....well if they're banned you could to an extent liken them to talking to your mate in the passenger seat.

Thumbs up from me though

The Quote backs up what i was saying, and the other quote where someone was nearly knocked over. No matter if you have disabilities or not, driving whilst talking on a mobile fone is dangerous. You are not concentrating on the road as much because you are talking, you also have to keep your fone on your ear, and even when you are answering, you have to look down at ur fone for that split second. if that split second, a young child might walk out in front of your car, and by the time you look up, it may be too late to stop. Or maybe, you are coming up to some traffic lights and you dont see them go red. Talking to someone, concentrating on holding your fone and trying to drive, does not work. Its not safe, and its gonna b against the law. Think before you drive holding a phone. Its stupid, irresponsible and dangerous, for yourself, pedestrians and other road users.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The Quote backs up what i was saying, and the other quote where someone was nearly knocked over. No matter if you have disabilities or not, driving whilst talking on a mobile fone is dangerous. You are not concentrating on the road as much because you are talking, you also have to keep your fone on your ear, and even when you are answering, you have to look down at ur fone for that split second. if that split second, a young child might walk out in front of your car, and by the time you look up, it may be too late to stop. Or maybe, you are coming up to some traffic lights and you dont see them go red. Talking to someone, concentrating on holding your fone and trying to drive, does not work. Its not safe, and its gonna b against the law. Think before you drive holding a phone. Its stupid, irresponsible and dangerous, for yourself, pedestrians and other road users.
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Do you drive on motorways - do you even drive? Cruising at 70 without changing lane takes far less concentration than driving in town or in traffic, stopping and starting and turning corners...in those circumstances I wouldn't dream of using a mobile, and I agree that the people who do are putting others at risk unecessarily.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Listen, even using them on a bloody motorway is dangerous. You should know that if you even move the steerin wheel when ur going 70mph+, you can turn fast. It is still dangerous. Or, what if someone moved into your lane and you didnt notice and you were going 70mph, the guy in front, 65mph. You go into the back of him. What could happen? That person might swerve into more traffic? Or maybe the car behind you might go into the back of you? Think before you post stupid messages.

WHEREVER YOU ARE, USING A MOBILE FONE WHILST DRIVING IS DANGEROUS-YOU LOSE SOME CONCENTRATION ON THE ROAD.

STOP BEING SUCH A TURD ABOUT IT. DONT USE UR MOBILE

ReputationRep:

Ummm yes i did say i think its a good move that they're banned .... you did read what i said right?

And hands free is imo a lot more acceptable than a mobile but still has issues that could certainly create problems.

Unfortunately its one of those situations where some people with hands free would be perfectly safe and others would take the smeg and end up having an accident.

Ooookkkkk
    :P

Not that this affects me as im not driving....come to think of it even when i had my --Renault 5 1.1 "Rust Machine"-- i dont think i was driving???
    Moreso "fighting for my life"

ReputationRep:
    Listen, even using them on a bloody motorway is dangerous. You should know that if you even move the steerin wheel when ur going 70mph+, you can turn fast. It is still dangerous. Or, what if someone moved into your lane and you didnt notice and you were going 70mph, the guy in front, 65mph. You go into the back of him. What could happen? That person might swerve into more traffic? Or maybe the car behind you might go into the back of you? Think before you post stupid messages.

WHEREVER YOU ARE, USING A MOBILE FONE WHILST DRIVING IS DANGEROUS-YOU LOSE SOME CONCENTRATION ON THE ROAD.

But they cant ban mobile use totally, without the argument that it is no less dangerous than turning on the radio, or having a conversation with someone in the car; using satellite navigation etc.

Your right. It is dangerous. But there are so many other equally as dangerous things that are simply impossible to ban, so they cannot, i don't think, ban all mobile use.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Think before you post stupid messages.
    Read what you're responding to.

I agree with the ban

I have in the past used my phone in circumstances where it hasn't effected my concentration (ie driving on the motorway at a steady speed in a car which is adapted for one handed driving).

I'm taking measures to prevent me needing to use it now that the ban has come into force but in an emergancy I would risk a fine. Until I have the funds/time to fit a proper hands free and cradle.

Please stop SHOUTING and please stop name calling - it adds nothing to your arguement.

ReputationRep:

what if it is your job. my mums job is to check if old people aren't dead. and she gets called out on the road. so she has to talk on her moblie cos it could mean saving a life.

ReputationRep:
    Im not name-calling! U r a turd! lol

ReputationRep:
    Im not name-calling! U r a turd! lol
    Woh there, i think ill exit this thread.
    Maturity level getting a little too high for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deanimate)
    Woh there, i think ill exit this thread.
    Maturity level getting a little too high for me.

lol! Damn right! Hehehe!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.