The Student Room Group

RAF P2 presentation

I had my P2 Presentation yesterday and thought I'd write a few notes on what happened for anyone who has theirs soon.

The presentation itself was approx. 2.5 hours delivered by the commanding officer.
TIP: Arrive minimum of 15 minutes(20 to be safe) before the allotted time, one girl turned up at 12.30 (time of ours) and was told he was late, not a good start, and it will have been noted on the fire safety sheet.

The presentation itself covers history of the RAF, equipment and aircraft, expectations of you as an officer or NCO, considerations e.g have you thought about the fact you will be directly or indirectly involved in killing people? living away from home (sounds minor but homesickness is a common occurence in the forces), OASC, IOT, current affairs etc- all this stuff you should be expecting to hear, and you should have a good knowledge of all of these things before you go to the presentation- This will help you A LOT. It will give you confidence because you can answer the questions aimed at the group.

I found that with everyone so keen to make even the smallest impression, answering the questions before anyone else was hard- you must be quick, it was almost like being on a game show-knowing the answer is not enough, you have to say it first. And people will talk over you if you begin to hesitate so be loud and confident.

Although it is an opportunity to make an impression, you're not being assessed and I got the feeling that the Flight Lieutenant didn't ask enough to any individual to go away remembering anyone specifically by the time of their interview, he was more impressed with us as a group because we could answer all the questions, and quickly.

The presentation will cement what you already (should) know, and more importantly, this presentation is a brilliant indicator to show what you DON'T know so you can tailor your research.

We were asked if any of us were ready for interview by the Corporal that showed us to the room and settled us in. 4 or 5 out of 15 put their hands up and the Corporal asked one of them to name some RAF bases. They did that, and after mentioning Ascension Island and Brize Norton the Corporal asked what aircraft were there and his answer quickly dried up.
Considering this is bread and butter stuff, they were not ready for interview and now realise that. This is definitely a positive outcome for them though, now they know they need to do more research and in more detail.
The Corporal was not trying to embarass anyone, just making a point about how good you need to be.

They also mentioned that statistically, 1 out of 17 of us would get a job! Not to put us off, but to give us a reality check and emphasise how competitive and tough the application process is.

I'm now going to go away and get my research done, practice my answers with a friend- because how you communicate your answers is very important- they want to see how well you communicate orally, so practice, practice, practice.

I'm going for Intelligence Officer and Air Traffic Control Officer.

Any questions on the P2 give me a shout

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Biscuitface

The presentation will cement what you already (should) know

Good update, Biscuitface, but I'd take issue with this part - the P2 is largely about providing potential applicants with more detail on the RAF so that they can decide whether or not they wish to pursue it as a career. It's not really necessary to know a great deal - it will certainly make your time there more comfortable if you know a few answers, but it's very much at the "finding out information" stage of the process, rather than the assessment stage.
Reply 2
Sorry Theo, I meant that you should know a few basics about the process, well that is what they told me before I booked the presentation (they weren't going to book me in until I'd told them some of the things I'd researched- maybe my AFCO i slightly strict) I didn't mean you should know it all already, but as you say it definitely helps if you know some. I agree that is a good place/time to find out the info you will need.
Sorry if it came across that you need to know lots of info before going in.
Reply 3
How long ago did you apply? I was under the impression that IntO was closed has it reopened?
Reply 4
I applied yesterday after the presentation. I asked the Flight Lieutenant about this branch being closed and he said it's a slightly strange one in that it is down as being closed nearly all the time. However if at OASC you score very well in something that Intel are looking for, chances are they will pick you up from there, even if the branch is down as closed.

It was said that you won't be interviewed while your chosen branch is closed, so I am going for ATC as my other choice. Another Corporal at the AFCO said that September is the sort of time that they will know more about which branches will be back open for recruitment and which will be pushing recruitment.
Just out of interest did they tell you what branches are open?
Reply 6
Int is a - comparatively - small Branch. Consequently, it doesn't have many slots but it has lots of applicants. Someone at OASC mentioned that they had heard that Int has more applicants per slot than Pilot, but I'm not sure I'd believe that [the upcoming IOT has 160 people, about 60 pilots and about 8 IntOs - read into that what you will].

On facebook there's a group called "RAF Intelligence Recruiting", the guys from the Recruiting team post very regularly on it so if you're looking for up to date info on the branch being closed and when it'll reopen, they're your best bet.
Reply 7
Yep Ruhr,

they gave us a sheet in our info packs with which branches are open, which are closed and which are priority at the moment
Reply 8
Original post by Biscuitface
I had my P2 Presentation yesterday and thought I'd write a few notes on what happened for anyone who has theirs soon.

The presentation itself was approx. 2.5 hours delivered by the commanding officer.
TIP: Arrive minimum of 15 minutes(20 to be safe) before the allotted time, one girl turned up at 12.30 (time of ours) and was told he was late, not a good start, and it will have been noted on the fire safety sheet.

The presentation itself covers history of the RAF, equipment and aircraft, expectations of you as an officer or NCO, considerations e.g have you thought about the fact you will be directly or indirectly involved in killing people? living away from home (sounds minor but homesickness is a common occurence in the forces), OASC, IOT, current affairs etc- all this stuff you should be expecting to hear, and you should have a good knowledge of all of these things before you go to the presentation- This will help you A LOT. It will give you confidence because you can answer the questions aimed at the group.

I found that with everyone so keen to make even the smallest impression, answering the questions before anyone else was hard- you must be quick, it was almost like being on a game show-knowing the answer is not enough, you have to say it first. And people will talk over you if you begin to hesitate so be loud and confident.

Although it is an opportunity to make an impression, you're not being assessed and I got the feeling that the Flight Lieutenant didn't ask enough to any individual to go away remembering anyone specifically by the time of their interview, he was more impressed with us as a group because we could answer all the questions, and quickly.

The presentation will cement what you already (should) know, and more importantly, this presentation is a brilliant indicator to show what you DON'T know so you can tailor your research.

We were asked if any of us were ready for interview by the Corporal that showed us to the room and settled us in. 4 or 5 out of 15 put their hands up and the Corporal asked one of them to name some RAF bases. They did that, and after mentioning Ascension Island and Brize Norton the Corporal asked what aircraft were there and his answer quickly dried up.
Considering this is bread and butter stuff, they were not ready for interview and now realise that. This is definitely a positive outcome for them though, now they know they need to do more research and in more detail.
The Corporal was not trying to embarass anyone, just making a point about how good you need to be.

They also mentioned that statistically, 1 out of 17 of us would get a job! Not to put us off, but to give us a reality check and emphasise how competitive and tough the application process is.

I'm now going to go away and get my research done, practice my answers with a friend- because how you communicate your answers is very important- they want to see how well you communicate orally, so practice, practice, practice.

I'm going for Intelligence Officer and Air Traffic Control Officer.

Any questions on the P2 give me a shout

Hi,

I realise that you posted this some time ago, however I am struggling to find more recent threads on the P2 Presentation.

I have had only a few days to prepare for the presentation and was under the impression that this is to prepare us for interview. I do not have a huge amount of knowledge on aircraft recognition etc. If I was unable to answer any question during the presentation would this be noted and affect my interview?

Thanks
Original post by CharlJayne
Hi,

I realise that you posted this some time ago, however I am struggling to find more recent threads on the P2 Presentation.

I have had only a few days to prepare for the presentation and was under the impression that this is to prepare us for interview. I do not have a huge amount of knowledge on aircraft recognition etc. If I was unable to answer any question during the presentation would this be noted and affect my interview?

Thanks

Charl, please don't worry and please read my other post. They might ask you what aircraft is on the screen but it's not a problem if you don't know ASLONG as you know it by the time you come to sit your filter interview.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 10
Original post by Biscuitface
Sorry Theo, I meant that you should know a few basics about the process, well that is what they told me before I booked the presentation (they weren't going to book me in until I'd told them some of the things I'd researched- maybe my AFCO i slightly strict) I didn't mean you should know it all already, but as you say it definitely helps if you know some. I agree that is a good place/time to find out the info you will need.
Sorry if it came across that you need to know lots of info before going in.

Hi Biscuitface,
I have also applied for this role but have not heard anything (previous to this) about the P2 Presentation, is this something you are invited to once you have applied or is it a pre-application presentation??
Reply 11
Original post by arrolb4
Hi Biscuitface,
I have also applied for this role but have not heard anything (previous to this) about the P2 Presentation, is this something you are invited to once you have applied or is it a pre-application presentation??

Have you actually called the CIL and registered?

Have you had an email asking you to complete the online application?

Have you had the confirmation email saying your application has been received and you will be contacted in the next 7 days?

If so, your AFCO will get in touch and invite you to attend the next presentation they have available.
Reply 12
Original post by mrprosser

Have you had the confirmation email saying your application has been received and you will be contacted in the next 7 days?

If so, your AFCO will get in touch and invite you to attend the next presentation they have available.

I am registered and have submitted my application, I haven't had a confirmation email yet though, is this something I should have gotten if I applied Thursday??
Reply 13

I was under the impression (after calling AFCO) that it would take 3-4 weeks to process the application
Reply 14
Original post by arrolb4
I was under the impression (after calling AFCO) that it would take 3-4 weeks to process the application

OK, so calm down.

You have completed the application, it needs to be checked over, and handed off to your local AFCO. That can take a few weeks, applications aren't processed in the order they arrive, but by service need, if the start date for drivers is sooner that ATC the drivers get priority.

You won't be forgotten or left out.

Visit the AFCO for advice, or leaflets, have a chat.

When the RAF is ready to process you further they will be in touch, and will invite you to a P2 presentation. Ifoyu are over 18 they aren't even compulsory. And don't forget, if you change mobile number or email address the call the CIL with the new details.
Reply 15
OK, so calm down.

You have completed the application, it needs to be checked over, and handed off to your local AFCO. That can take a few weeks, applications aren't processed in the order they arrive, but by service need, if the start date for drivers is sooner that ATC the drivers get priority.

You won't be forgotten or left out.

Visit the AFCO for advice, or leaflets, have a chat.

When the RAF is ready to process you further they will be in touch, and will invite you to a P2 presentation. Ifoyu are over 18 they aren't even compulsory. And don't forget, if you change mobile number or email address the call the CIL with the new details.
]

Thanks, I do need to calm down!! Getting quite nervous about probably nothing (yet!) thanks for the help though :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by arrolb4
Thanks, I do need to calm down!! Getting quite nervous about probably nothing (yet!) thanks for the help though :smile:

Just remember that 20, 30, 40 + years ago, people still applied and still got into the RAF. They did so without the ability to google everything and ask about every single element in infinite detail from people who've done it previously, but rather took the briefing info and dealt with it.

If they could do it, why can't you?

(It's a rhetorical question, don't worry about answering. Just remember that if you do end up in the RAF, there will be times when things happen, or you get tol things and you'll just have to cope with it and go with it. You won't have time or opportunity to work out every single minute detail.)
I know this was a long time ago so I'm not expecting a reply and if I do not a very detailed answer. I'm applying for Air Traffic Control and was was wondering what sort of questions are asked? All so how much of the basic stuff are you expected to know in general?
Thank you.
Original post by Simon Frame
I know this was a long time ago so I'm not expecting a reply and if I do not a very detailed answer. I'm applying for Air Traffic Control and was was wondering what sort of questions are asked? All so how much of the basic stuff are you expected to know in general?
Thank you.

You're not. The P2 is about finding out what you need to know. It's not a test.
I know the P2 gives you a lot of details, like information and history in the RAF. Are you right for it and what you are expected to know. However I am trying to plan ahead so I can ask questions when I'm at the P2 which I may have not even thought about if I didn't ask on here.

Latest