Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hate maths. Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    I hate maths. Discuss.
    Hmm... a very original, and extensive discussion topic there .
    Well i do sometimes too, but without maths we couldn't work out how much money we have, and important things like that.

ReputationRep:
    I hate maths
    Maths hates you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Hmm... a very original, and extensive discussion topic there .
    Well i do sometimes too, but without maths we couldn't work out how much money we have, and important things like that.
    I know! I'm so original! And I accept that we need maths in everyday life etc etc, I'm just failing to see the point of linear regression and why its all so hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_git)
    Maths hates you
    I'm really beginning to think thats true!

ReputationRep:
    I know! I'm so original! And I accept that we need maths in everyday life etc etc, I'm just failing to see the point of linear regression and why its all so hard!
    Without linear regression we couldn't.....
    Do linear regression!?!? :confused:
    Yeah, i don't get that stuff either. But its fairly easy to do though.
    But come off it. When did maths ever claim to be useful?

ReputationRep:
    Without linear regression we couldn't.....
    Do linear regression!?!? :confused:
    Yeah, i don't get that stuff either. But its fairly easy to do though.
    But come off it. When did maths ever claim to be useful?
    When some wrinkly old mathematician with a dodgy comb-over decided to tell everyone it was really important to everyday life and noone else understood enough of what they were saying to argue with them!

ReputationRep:
    When some wrinkly old mathematician with a dodgy comb-over decided to tell everyone it was really important to everyday life and noone else understood enough of what they were saying to argue with them!
    Well i did argue with my maths teacher about it, and he wasn't able to proof the usefulness of most maths in the end.
    That is why its good to learn maths, so you can understand WHY it is useless, not just that you think it is.

ReputationRep:
    I hate maths. Discuss.
    No wonder you go by the name ditzy blonde.

If you picked maths, you are an idiot because you willingly subjected yourself to this hatred, so you must hate yourself.

You hate maths, but whatever has it done to you?
    Has it taxed you for anything you do? Has it verbally abused you?
    Has it chased you with a crowbar?

I think not, without maths thouse things on your hand called fingers wouldn't exist, because they evolved from the thought of counting - ie maths.
    (the actor portraying gayboy09 does not endorse this view of fingers, for he is a skilled heterosexual scientist)

If you didn't pick maths, then you shall tolerate it, your lack of tolerance will lead you in to deep religious cults that starve you for a week and then lightly slap you and toy with you. Don't forget the sex festivals.

ReputationRep:
    I actually like maths! My highest grade at GCSE was at.......*drum roll* ...MATHS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwirion)
    I actually like maths! My highest grade at GCSE was at.......*drum roll* ...MATHS!
    So was mine (A*), but i still think its stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwirion)
    I used to really enjoy maths, hence the choice of degree scheme, but university has gradually destoyed my love of the subject, until I became the bitter and twisted maths hater I am today.

ReputationRep:
    I used to really enjoy maths, hence the choice of degree scheme, but university has gradually destoyed my love of the subject, until I became the bitter and twisted maths hater I am today.
    It took you that long?
    In my first year at college, i realised i hated maths.
    Thankfully, i'm still good at it, so i'm doing it for the respect uni's give to it.

ReputationRep:
    It took you that long?
    In my first year at college, i realised i hated maths.
    Thankfully, i'm still good at it, so i'm doing it for the respect uni's give to it.
    It was all my GCSE/A-level teachers fault, he was young and Irish and he was a fantastic teacher and made the subject really enjoyable, unfortunately university lecturers just aren't as good.

ReputationRep:
    It was all my GCSE/A-level teachers fault, he was young and Irish and he was a fantastic teacher and made the subject really enjoyable, unfortunately university lecturers just aren't as good.
    Yeah. I had this really great teacher for 4 Years at secondary school.
    He did games and stuff, and really tried to stretch me, which was cool.
    But here, they are so boring.

ReputationRep:
    maths was quite cool for me. i still hated the subject, but our teacher made it fun (seriously) to learn it cos we were in lowerest set.

ReputationRep:
    I hate maths. Discuss.
    I Love MATHS...
    http://www.oelgroup.com/god/god.htm

ReputationRep:
    ahh, so someone else too understands the rubbishness of maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamianHolt)
    ahh, so someone else too understands the rubbishness of maths!
    I think 99% of the population probably do!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to stand up for that which cannot stand up for itself then. A hell of a lot of science heavily depends on mathematical formulae. Without maths, we wouldn't have decent compression programs (and probably no computers), so we wouldn't even be having this conversation. You may hate maths (it is a kind of love/hate subject), but it is useful (at least a whole lot more useful to me than things like art, which I neither care for nor am good at (the two are probably related), though I'm not saying that art isn't useful, as many people enjoy it). Less people enjoy maths (I still don't see why some people think it's respectable not to be able to do basic maths when not being able to read or write is considered so less socially acceptable - eg when do you ever hear anyone say, "I can't write" or "I can't read"? You hear, "I always hated maths and could never do it." I just don't quite get that (except when Billy Connolly starts talking about it).

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 1, 2003

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.