The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It depends the level of maths that you're talking about. Everyone "should" be ableto add,subtract, multiply and divide. But doing trigonometry and pythagoras is not very useful to everyday life so it would be socially accepted to not be able to do it, as it is almost useless in most professions.
Reply 21
G4ry
It depends the level of maths that you're talking about. Everyone "should" be ableto add,subtract, multiply and divide. But doing trigonometry and pythagoras is not very useful to everyday life so it would be socially accepted to not be able to do it, as it is almost useless in most professions.

Well, you could use the same argument about any subject then. Everybody needs basic English, but they do not need to be able to analyse Shakespeare in "everyday life". Neither do you use many things from science in everyday life (well, you might use products created with the knowledge from the subject which is usually derived mathematically). The only subjects I can think of which have real uses in an "everyday life" kind of concept (eg. outside of a job) are modern foreign languages.
Reply 22
meepmeep
I'm going to stand up for that which cannot stand up for itself then. A hell of a lot of science heavily depends on mathematical formulae. Without maths, we wouldn't have decent compression programs (and probably no computers), so we wouldn't even be having this conversation. You may hate maths (it is a kind of love/hate subject), but it is useful (at least a whole lot more useful to me than things like art, which I neither care for nor am good at (the two are probably related), though I'm not saying that art isn't useful, as many people enjoy it). Less people enjoy maths (I still don't see why some people think it's respectable not to be able to do basic maths when not being able to read or write is considered so less socially acceptable - eg when do you ever hear anyone say, "I can't write" or "I can't read"? You hear, "I always hated maths and could never do it." I just don't quite get that (except when Billy Connolly starts talking about it).

And your backing up my point, if we didn't have maths, some fool wouldn't have invented R (stupid stats package that keeps crashing on me!) And my life wouldn't be hell at this second in time!
Reply 23
ditzy blonde
I'm really beginning to think thats true!

I couldn't agree more. Maths never lets go of you and just when you think it has given up on you, it comes back to hunt you down. There is no escape.
It seems that a lot of people hate it at degree level, but I am finding AS maths really enjoyable (especially the mechanics). Probably my favourite subject at the moment*.

EDIT: *over completely doss subjects such as RE, IT and DT.
Reply 25
I hate Discrete (or Decision) Maths and Statistics. Pure is great.

Latest