The Student Room Group

Home study A-level Maths

I'm currently studying A-level maths abroad while living in France (Also plan to start studying for a French A-level) I was wondering how other people who home-study:

A) Stay motivated
B) Tell how well they are progressing?

The main trouble I have is that I can't actually tell if I'm doing well or not, I want to obviously get my A-level done as quickly as possible, but it feels like I'm taking forever and getting nothing done.

If anyone else has any experiences, or tips and advice, it would be welcome,

Thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 1
yes, i home studied my maths A2 this year.
with maths it's not so hard,get the book look at the examples,(u might even check online there are alot of materials available that will help you) .then solve the exercises.
MAke a timetable for yourself and make sure you finish everything on time.
when you start solving pastpapers check the answers from marking schemes/ i think that is how you will know if you are doing well.
*you need to practice as much as you can for maths A2.So yah!go crazy and solve every question you can get you hands on :woo:

So its not easy at all, but it isnt impossible, its hard to stay motivated all the time, even harder to wake up in the morning when you dont have to!(caz ur not going to skool.)

umm. anything else you wanna ask?
Reply 2
Yes please :smile: How often did you study? As in, hours a day, days a week?
Reply 3
oh,!
i did my AS' in JAN and A2 in june
AS is quite easy tbh.:smile:
A2 isnt hard, but it needs alot more practice.
i'm not sure if that will work for you, but i used to study 4 days each week,about 3 hours every day,
it depends on the person i guess.

but your only doing A2 maths so don;t worry you should be okay!!:yes:
Reply 4
Even though i think you will need a bit of guidance in your french,because you cannot judge your outcome,
but good luck with it Anyways.
Reply 5
I plan to do AS and A2 actually :frown: Plus French... I need to get 180 UCAS (2 Ds apparently? I might have that wrong) so it shouldn't be that hard I assume. :s-smilie:

The only problem is I have already tried to study through Core1, and just feel like I'm getting nowhere and its just taking too long for me to study through it, The problem is I have no one to compare to, and so I always feel like I'm just doing it too slowly, which seriously harms my motivation, which obviously makes me slower.
Reply 6
I've started AS maths self study this summer. Doing the Edexcel board and got their endorsed text book. It's all about practice practice practice. I got loads of questions and made sure I first knew my GCSE basics inside out esp the algerbra.
AS seems quite easy, whereas A2 will need more work from me. I have been studying approx 3-4 hours a day for 5 days, mostly early mornings, but you need to find a method which works best for you.
Reply 7
don;t worry u'll always feel your going nowhere until u start solving pastpapers then you will feel,that you got a grip of it.(i guess)
which board are you doing??
i think the maximum should spend on one chapter is 2 weeks.

listen, as long as you understand it then your fine,and if you don't understand it search online until you understand it then ull be fine .
i know its hard that you don;t have anyone to compare with,but they are prolly going through what you are going through so don't think about it

get the syllabus and fix a timetable, make sure u finish about 3 weeks before exams,so u wdnt feel like your going slow or anything.

it will be challenging enough to follow the timetable and that will hopefully keep you motivated.
I'm home-studying Further maths A2 this year :biggrin: Basically, I set myself the target of 1 modules done by the end of summer, plus another one started, and that's looking like it's going to happen. I think set long-term deadlines (a modules finished in a certain number of months/weeks), as if you set shorts term ones (i.e. I WILL do 3 hours a day 4 days a week) you'll probably find it hard ot stick to them, and you'll feel really rubbish if you don't stick to it.
I stay motivated because I have had so much criticism of doing artsy essay subjects that I suppose it makes me feel like I'm not stupid and I can achieve just as well in a traditional subject than in a new one.... I got AAAB at A level but that's apparently worth nothing because its all in sociology and psychology and non traditional subjects.

I started teaching in February this year. I hadn't touched maths since GCSE (got a B) and had to go over algebra again because I had forgotten most of that, and at the moment I've done C1, S1, S2 and nearly finished S3. I was considering taking the exams in January but I'm off to uni soon, so instead I will study casually and take them in June when I'm feeling more confident.
Eiden
I'm currently studying A-level maths abroad while living in France (Also plan to start studying for a French A-level) I was wondering how other people who home-study:

A) Stay motivated

The main trouble I have is that I can't actually tell if I'm doing well or not, I want to obviously get my A-level done as quickly as possible, but it feels like I'm taking forever and getting nothing done.

I basically home studied maths A-level. Did nothing all year till 3 months before exam when I realised I knew nothing at all. Nevertheless I powered through a lot of the exercise questions in the books and then mock papers. All worked out in the end. So in conclusion
A) My reputation was at stake, I had to pass!
B) Don't copy me, have a regular look at past papers to gauge how much you know.
Ala'a

i think the maximum should spend on one chapter is 2 weeks.

Two weeks? :lolwut: Well I guess it depends on the chapter, and the module, but I'm doing a chapter of D1 a day, or over two days if it's a biggie. It means I get lots of maths-free days in between :cool:

I would say limit yourself to a week for one chapter, maximum, and then go back to any chapters you feel slightly weaker on when you've finished the module.
Eiden

A) Stay motivated

Obviously your going to have learn quite a bit, but past papers are always challenging and fun. Seeing if you can increase your scores :rolleyes:

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll do fine so long as you work :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Sockpirate
Two weeks? :lolwut: Well I guess it depends on the chapter, and the module, but I'm doing a chapter of D1 a day, or over two days if it's a biggie. It means I get lots of maths-free days in between :cool:

I would say limit yourself to a week for one chapter, maximum, and then go back to any chapters you feel slightly weaker on when you've finished the module.

yes u think you could integration in a week ? :P
Ala'a
yes u think you could integration in a week ? :P

C1 C2 or C4? But irrespective of the module, yes, if I wanted to.
Reply 15
Just finished my A2 by self study (edexcel) and awaiting the final result.
For AS I did a part time class which was basically 2 hours in class and 2 hours home work for each chapter 9using Heinemann books). So yeah you should be able to cover a chapter each week. A2 I did self study - and it was really hard to keep it up. In the end I decided to get a proper distance learning programme as I couldn't do it with text book alone. A bit expensive but I'm on track for an A which wouldn't have happened without it. For A2 it was more like 6-8 hours work for each chapter.

The very best measure of your progress is doing past papers and marking them yourself. PM me if you need help finding papers.
Reply 16
Hello people. i'm british but i've lived in france my whole life. as i can see you've nearly all done home school for A levels. now thing is i want to study medicine in the UK and i've passed the OIB in june with a bit of a crap grade for medschool. so i was wondering can i pass my A levels? how can i do it? i live in france and i'd like to start like now so i can it over and done with and get my results asap before next year. i want to do AS and A2 level in say 9 months... is that possible? how do i do it? how do i revise? where do i get a test centre and how do i study? how much does it cost? i can't find websites which show me? the first person who posted this is from france so can you help me out? thank you... =) :confused: :confused: :confused:
Reply 17
i homeschooled both my AS and A level subjects including maths bio and chem edexcel. i got a C in igcse foundation maths and 2 B in bio and chem now after i have done my A levels i got AAB yes a B in maths i was a guy who used to get 2% in igcses but hardwork in maths will surely payoff i used to do 2 hours of maths everyday tuition and selfstudy 1 and a half.i lacked all the basics of maths and at the start it was really tough then you get the hang of it and btw it was the first time i was homeschooling ever.
Reply 18
Original post by Eiden

A) Stay motivated

Hi,

Where did you write your exams?

Quick Reply

Latest