The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm from a rural area so I'm bound to pipe about going to a sixth form college in the middle of a city. Hows it different, its more like uni or a cross between uni and high school? I'll be more mature as well I expect. Do you know what the teachers are like. Or maybe you don't know cz you're not ther yet!
soulsussed
I'm from a rural area so I'm bound to pipe about going to a sixth form college in the middle of a city. Hows it different, its more like uni or a cross between uni and high school? I'll be more mature as well I expect. Do you know what the teachers are like. Or maybe you don't know cz you're not ther yet!

well my mum has teached at one for 10 years and my brothers went there so i have a fair idea. You are not nagged and prodded about work as much and are just expected to do it. After all u signed up for this and they can kick u out if ur not pulling ur wieght. I am lookin forward to my free periods and the ability to go out during lunch as well as no uniform!!
Oh yeah no uniform! I have to wear a tartan kilt at my high school, and that doesn't change in the sixth form either so non uniform at sixth form college will be bliss after 5 years in a tartan kilt!!

I'm looking forward to meeting new people (because its just me from my high school going) And my A level subjects which'll be fun.
what alevels are u doin
Reply 44
im going to winstanley college and il be studying (sig :wink: )
Spanish, French, English Lang/Lit and Law oh and General Studies is compulsary
does anyone know what exactly IS general studies? :confused:
A levels :smile: (hopefully i get back into school to get them need 6 or more GCSE's!!!) looking to do Sociology, English literature, history and chemistry or classical civilisation

and if i dont get to do a levels (need 4 or more GCSE's) I'll do AVCE business xoxo
Reply 46
Hiya, this is my first ever post! Next year im taking maths, further maths, physics geography and biology (will probably drop bio for A level). All my friends have said im mad to do this combo, but anything has got to be better than GCSE's 10 subjects!!!

ps. sorry to join this thread so late on
Reply 47
tammy_girl
A levels :smile: (hopefully i get back into school to get them need 6 or more GCSE's!!!) looking to do Sociology, English literature, history and chemistry or classical civilisation

and if i dont get to do a levels (need 4 or more GCSE's) I'll do AVCE business xoxo

I hope you get what you want. I was going to do Sociology, English Lit, History and Chemistry but I couldn't because of timetable clashes! So now I am doing Music instead of Chemistry

Ali P - I don't mind doing 10 GCSE subjects, but just because I am doing fewer emails it won't necessarily be easier, the workload is going to be massive for starters. :smile:
Reply 48
ali p
Hiya, this is my first ever post! Next year im taking maths, further maths, physics geography and biology (will probably drop bio for A level). All my friends have said im mad to do this combo, but anything has got to be better than GCSE's 10 subjects!!!

ps. sorry to join this thread so late on

Welcome ali p! If you enjoy those subjects then you should be fine :smile:

I didn't start this thread, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter that you posted now. People can post when they want :smile:
Reply 49
Yes, I often start posting in threads way after they have been started :smile:
AmyGrace
im going to winstanley college and il be studying (sig :wink: )
Spanish, French, English Lang/Lit and Law oh and General Studies is compulsary
does anyone know what exactly IS general studies? :confused:

There's a thread about General Studies in this GCSE forum that should answer your questions :smile:
llanberismecca
what alevels are u doin

English lit, Chemistry, Art and Product design
Reply 52
NickiM
Wow, Lidia, that is some impressive things you're taking! I hope you don't find the workload too hard. I didn't add to mine that I'd be taking Key Skills and General Studies, as they're compulsory, but I didn't think they counted.

I expect I'll have to juggle a bit, but I'm pretty confident about next year. My teachers have told me they don't expect me to have any trouble with AS levels, and as I'm only taking 3 A2s I'm not going to worry. I've already done two GCSEs out of timetable, so I've had some practice at time-management.

I'm taking GS because it's compulsory too, despite complaints to my Curriculum Manager. :rolleyes: None of the Universities I intend to apply to will count it as an AS Level, but there's not much I can do about it. It's supposed to be easy as pie anyway. :biggrin:
Lidia
I expect I'll have to juggle a bit, but I'm pretty confident about next year. My teachers have told me they don't expect me to have any trouble with AS levels, and as I'm only taking 3 A2s I'm not going to worry. I've already done two GCSEs out of timetable, so I've had some practice at time-management.

I'm taking GS because it's compulsory too, despite complaints to my Curriculum Manager. :rolleyes: None of the Universities I intend to apply to will count it as an AS Level, but there's not much I can do about it. It's supposed to be easy as pie anyway. :biggrin:

Why Critical Thinking as well as General Studies?
Reply 54
I think what people are saying is that staying on at school, where you know everyone and are familiar with the place, is an easy option compared to moving to a new school or college where you'll have to meet new friends and settle in to a new environment.

Do you agree with that though? I think that's a bit of a silly notion, of course I'm rather biased, seeing as I'm staying on and all. But they're completely different situations aren't they? Of course it's an extra effort making new friends and stuff if you move, but I've stayed on because I know my school's sixth form has a good record, it offers the subjects I want to take, the A-Level teachers are good, and yes, my friends stay here. I think it's a difficult decision, in itself, deciding to go/stay.

Anyway, forgot to mention before, as well as English Lit, History, Biology and Chemistry, it's compulsory at my school to sit the dreaded (and useless) General Studies...
Reply 55
i'm doing english, french, history, latin, greek....should be interesting...
Two Tone
I'm going to Hills Road Sixth Form College nest year, to do Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History. I hope to go to uni and do engineering, but I haven't decided what branch yet.

No way! I'm going to Hills Road too. :biggrin:
NickiM
I hope you get what you want. I was going to do Sociology, English Lit, History and Chemistry but I couldn't because of timetable clashes! So now I am doing Music instead of Chemistry

Ali P - I don't mind doing 10 GCSE subjects, but just because I am doing fewer emails it won't necessarily be easier, the workload is going to be massive for starters. :smile:

ya see Nicki we dont get our timetables to august so i dunno if ill get those subjects or not :frown: xoxo
Hey! First post! :wink:

I'm doing biology, chemistry, French and geography/physics. (Oh, and general studies). Would bio+chem be enough for science at uni (biological sciences area) or should I take physics as well (I'm not a big maths fan!)?
Final_F
Hey! First post! :wink:

I'm doing biology, chemistry, French and geography/physics. (Oh, and general studies). Would bio+chem be enough for science at uni (biological sciences area) or should I take physics as well (I'm not a big maths fan!)?

I would have thought biology and chemistry would be enough, except maybe for the top unis like Oxbridge who'd prefer 3 sciences. Ypu might want to check out some university prospectuses though (you can read the online ones) to see what their entrance requirements are. There's no point doing physics if you won't enjoy it, and having a couple of contrasting subjects would give you the option of changing your mind if you went off science.

Latest