Turn on thread page Beta

I'm planning to buy a Notebook, but have no idea which would suit my needs? AMD mobile or Intel Mobile? I need the laptop for heavy graphics applications: 3d graphics soft, Games..etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nrok)
    I'm planning to buy a Notebook, but have no idea which would suit my needs? AMD mobile or Intel Mobile? I need the laptop for heavy graphics applications: 3d graphics soft, Games..etc.
    Well i'd always reccomend AMD. Its more stable, more reliable etc. But Intels have a faster clock speed.
    And whether its AMD or Intel doesn't really directly effect the graphics on there. You'd have to check the type of graphics with the unit.
    On AMD compatable motherboards though, the in-built graphics do tend to be better.

ReputationRep:
    ive got a athlon 2800+xp and it goes like this

zzzzoooooooommmm (very fast and stable)

my pentium 4, 2.53Mhz goes like this

zzzoooooommm (very fast and stable but not quite as good)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    my pentium 4, 2.53Mhz goes like this
    I wonder if there's a typing error... I don't think you can do anything on a 2.53Mhz processer nowadays...

AMD produces more heat than Intel, which can result system failure. I would say Intel. Anothing, I don't think running heavy graphics on Notebooks is a good idea. If you use something like Photoshop, you are better off with a desktop.

ReputationRep:
    You wont necessarily notice that much difference in performance *now* for most tasks, but you say you'll use it for graphics, so you might see some difference.

As to which processor to go for, its a question of price. If you have lots of £££ to spend, then a fast, top-end pentium 4 will be better. But, Athlons arent that much slower, and are cheaper. If you spend the same amount on an athlon pc and a p4 pc, the athlon will be quickest.

hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    I wonder if there's a typing error... I don't think you can do anything on a 2.53Mhz processer nowadays...
    yes a typo.

You wont necessarily notice that much difference in performance *now* for most tasks, but you say you'll use it for graphics, so you might see some difference.

As to which processor to go for, its a question of price. If you have lots of £££ to spend, then a fast, top-end pentium 4 will be better. But, Athlons arent that much slower, and are cheaper. If you spend the same amount on an athlon pc and a p4 pc, the athlon will be quickest.

hope this helps!
    the money i saved on the amd i used to double my graphics card and my ram at least

ReputationRep:
    AMD's have slower clock speeds on paper, but to compare them to Intels in such terms is unfair, as the architecture is completely different. My personal experience is that AMD's at the very least match an equally rated Intel P4 chip, and in multimedia applications - often surpass them. I put in an order for an AthlonXP "Barton" 3000+ last week (should be here tomorow...yippee!!!!!) and even though the core speed on that is only 2.17Ghz, roughly 9/10 benchmark tests show it equals and betters Intel's 3.06Ghz P4! And it's quite literally half the price! Super. I think the P4's have higher FSB though so in the immediate future I can see Intel leapfrogging once more and rising to the top of the heap, but I'm sure AMD's 64-bit Hammer will match anything Intel have up their sleeve

I can't be so certain with their mobile processors, but I'd imagine they follow the same trend. I say go with AMD and save yourself a tidy bit of cash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    the money i saved on the amd i used to double my graphics card and my ram at least
    that is exactly what i meant.
    (Original post by chimp_spanner)
    AMD's have slower clock speeds on paper
    Actually, the newest athlon64 processors have beat p4s hands down. And they will run 64 bit software, when its out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nrok)
    Avoid anything that says:

Celleron
    Barton

To be honest the AMD chips are good. But when they rate the speeds on an AMD chipset, e.g. 1800mhz, its not actually that speed, but benchmarked against a Pentium chip.

Laptops/notepads aren't really built to play games with, as in the future, you wont be able to update them to play the games of tomorrow. If you insist on obtaining one, then I can only recommned that you avoid a graphics card that has MX on it, as these are budget graphics cards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Avoid anything that says:

Celleron
    Barton
    Why avoid barton?!

ReputationRep:
    If you compare a standard P4 and a standard AMD XP you'll find that the truth is that the P4 puts out more heat - what people seem to confuse is the heat protection offered by AMD XP's and Intel P4's. The P4 has a much much better heat protection system that means it won't fry its self should the fan fail (This problem is surposed to have been resolved in the AMD 64's)

As for AMD v Intel in a notebook, I'd prolly say go for the AMD option and upgrade the ram/video card with the money saved over intel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soulfish)
    If you compare a standard P4 and a standard AMD XP you'll find that the truth is that the P4 puts out more heat - what people seem to confuse is the heat protection offered by AMD XP's and Intel P4's. The P4 has a much much better heat protection system that means it won't fry its self should the fan fail (This problem is surposed to have been resolved in the AMD 64's)

As for AMD v Intel in a notebook, I'd prolly say go for the AMD option and upgrade the ram/video card with the money saved over intel.
    you cant upgrade the video card in a notebook, and ram can be difficult to upgrade.

ReputationRep:
    No, but you can usually opt for a model which has a higher ammount of ram or better onboard video card as standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soulfish)
    No, but you can usually opt for a model which has a higher ammount of ram or better onboard video card as standard.
    shush

ReputationRep:
    Yea AMD is the way forward... but if you're about graphics and games ask your self do i really need a laptop? There's expensive "mobile 3D modeling/animation solutions" (i love the way they phrase it) out there if you must... but a system based on a dual processor Tyan motherboard and a couple of fast AMD's with a 2Gb of ram and a £700 graphics card (hardware accelerated/onboard just about everything) would cost you less than those "solutions"... it's hard enough finding a laptop for heavy audio production (Mac is best so far but i don't have 3000 pounds), let alone 3D graphics... and does anyone know a laptop where you can get blue LEDs for the fans? or neons for the case? lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spc_K)
    and does anyone know a laptop where you can get blue LEDs for the fans? or neons for the case? lol.
    that has to be the best argument against laptops *ever*!

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.