Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    k, so my computer crashed and now ALL, and i mean ALL my coursework has gone. it all needs to b done by crimbo so the pc needs sortin out fast.

Does anyone no if the Systemworks Norton Utility thing is any good and worth buyin 2night?

ReputationRep:
    First you should get the reason why it actually crashed, before you start buying stuff.

ReputationRep:
    If it is Windows Me or XP there should be a system restore facility. If you use this you can restore the computer to the state it was in at a point in time before the crash. I hope this works.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but you don't know what point of time it restores your computer to. If it's saved on the hard disk, it shouldn't make a difference whether or not you do a system restore either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    First you should get the reason why it actually crashed, before you start buying stuff.
    i spoke 2 the computer technican and he said that from what i told him, it sound like windows is playin up and he recomemends a utility software
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    i spoke 2 the computer technican and he said that from what i told him, it sound like windows is playin up and he recomemends a utility software
    Will windows start at all and you just can't see your coursework files or is it that the computer wont start?

And is the technician on commission?

ReputationRep:
    Were you online at all when it happened? Couldn't be something you downloaded. Are the files not on your hard drive when you look for them on Windows Explorer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbphd)
    If it is Windows Me or XP there should be a system restore facility. If you use this you can restore the computer to the state it was in at a point in time before the crash. I hope this works.
    i dont get wot u mean. how would i do that?

ReputationRep:
    Next time, use Linux!!!

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is the problem we need a bit more information.

Can you start up your computer?
    Why did it crash?
    Does it still crash?
    Have you downloaded anything off the internet, or were you on the internet when it crashed?
    Can you see the files in windows explorer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Were you online at all when it happened? Couldn't be something you downloaded. Are the files not on your hard drive when you look for them on Windows Explorer?
    well i dnt have the internet, but i had saved a dowload to a disk at my friends hosue from the internet and transferred it on to mine, just before the crash. the thing i think it is (CEI movie viewer) cannot be uninstalled.

Really i juts want to know if this SW norton thing could fix it... eeeek!

ReputationRep:
    Anything can uninstalled or removed, that's not much of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    well i dnt have the internet, but i had saved a dowload to a disk at my friends hosue from the internet and transferred it on to mine, just before the crash. the thing i think it is (CEI movie viewer) cannot be uninstalled.

Really i juts want to know if this SW norton thing could fix it... eeeek!
    Try putting it as a primary slave in someone elses machine, so you can see the data on there, and what exactly has happened to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    What exactly is the problem we need a bit more information.

Can you start up your computer?
    Why did it crash?
    Does it still crash?
    Have you downloaded anything off the internet, or were you on the internet when it crashed?
    Can you see the files in windows explorer?
    Can you start up your computer? only sometimes, 5 mins later it wil crash
    Why did it crash? dont no
    Does it still crash? yes
    Have you downloaded anything off the internet, or were you on the internet when it crashed? no but i downloaded something off a disk whihc was origionally on the intertent
    Can you see the files in windows explorer? yes but not my work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Anything can uninstalled or removed, that's not much of a problem.
    well i cant find it on the add/remove programs thing....

ReputationRep:
    When it crashes does it give you a warning, or go to a blue screen with some white writing on it, or does it just go blank and restart itself.

When the computer first crashed were you working on your coursework, and had you saved it to hard disk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    When it crashes does it give you a warning, or go to a blue screen with some white writing on it, or does it just go blank and restart itself.

When the computer first crashed were you working on your coursework, and had you saved it to hard disk?
    blank screen and restarts itself. then after about 4 tries it comes on properly and then crashes again

ReputationRep:
    Did you download CEI from their official site, and has your friend suffered any problems?

ReputationRep:
    blank screen and restarts itself. then after about 4 tries it comes on properly and then crashes again
    Have you tried booting up in safe mode?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Try putting it as a primary slave in someone elses machine, so you can see the data on there, and what exactly has happened to it.
    that would be my solution. then copy your work onto your friends harddrive

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.