The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
booger
So why do they make that assumption in one case but no another? Because My Dad is allowed to give my brother beer in our home. Well I could buy a beer for my brother and He would be well with in his rights to consume it in our family home as well. What difference does it make? Same bottle of beer, exact same law. Completely different assumptions on part of the company policy.

You missed the bit about it being legal for your brother to consume alcohol within the family home with the parents permission. The same reason they are the legal guardians over your brother.

Also the cashier doesn't know if I might give it to my friend or not but at the end of they day they are not selling alcohol to a minor. I am supplying a minor with alcohol if I give it to them.

If you are with someone else, the chances of the alcohol being shared with the other person, from the cashier/companies point of view, are greatly increased. If their is no way the cashier would have known the alcohol could go to a minor, then they will not get into trouble. If the minor is right in front of them when serving, then they are to be held responsible.

I'm not having a go at the cashier, more the store policy. At the end of the day the cashier is going to play by the book. I would if I needed the job. I'm sure a lot do need their job, many being students and such.

If the stores didn't have these policies, the government would be coming up with more ridiculous laws to prevent underage drinking. I think the system works well. Everyone knows how it works, if you want to buy alcohol, take ID. If you are with someone else, make sure they have ID too, regardless of whether they are buying. If you want to take your younger sibling, don't buy alcohol. Simple as.
eulerwaswrong
okay but id make a rough guess that 95% of 17/18 year olds apply for their provisional license. I know people who got one even though they didnt bother starting to learn to drive. And of that 95%, 95% of those carry their card part with them in their wallet/purse.

^^^^these numbers completely plucked from absolutely nowhere btw, just experiences with friends etc.

And to be honest the pub can ID whoever they want, its their pub/club. And customers should realise this and realise if they want to go to that pub/club they should carry ID - if they cant be bothered to carry ID thats their problem tbh.

And i know you are going to reply saying but i look 25-30 or whatever, but ive worked in a supermarket and ive just started work in a bar - and the fines for selling alcohol to under 18s are astronomical - not just for the company but for me the worker. Its like £5000. So ID pretty much everyone who looks under 21. It just saves me the hassle

I rarely if ever get ID'd though even at 15 used to get pestered by other kids to buy alcohol for them and used to go to a bar at 16(didnt drink much) and get girls in their 20's chat me up then as soon as the realised I was 16 freak out, even when I was 21 got girls in their late twenties even mid thirties chatting me up and then soon as they found out I was "so young" said I was too young for them.

And now I have gained weight I look even older, saying that though often younger people around 19 say I look about 21 or 22 but I have never been i'd for a under 25's bar, never been id'd in supermarkets for buying alcohol etc to the point that its annoying because I actually want to look younger.

I dont know about that percentage of people applying for licenses as about 95% of people I see getting ID'd in bars use passports for id, and in my experiences its guys who use driving licenses and woman that use passports more.
Reue
Better avoid Tesco like the plague then. They wont serve anyone alcohol if they think anyone nearby is 'with' them who might be underaged.

Tesco need to actually read the law instead of interpreting it in their own way.

A friend of mine got ID'd and didn't have any ID and he's 27 and I was with him and offered he pay me the money and I'll buy it but she said that it would still be for him. I mean FFS. By the sounds of it she'd have served me and I'm younger than him. If my friend gives me his money to pay for something and he is underaged then I'm in the wrong, not the cashier.
Reply 143
NDGAARONDI
A friend of mine got ID'd and didn't have any ID and he's 27 and I was with him and offered he pay me the money and I'll buy it but she said that it would still be for him. I mean FFS. By the sounds of it she'd have served me and I'm younger than him. If my friend gives me his money to pay for something and he is underaged then I'm in the wrong, not the cashier.

Have you read the rest of the thread? It is illegal to serve alcohol that will be knowingly supplied, or suspected to be supplied, to a minor. Therefore, yes it is the cashier breaking the law, as well as yourself. If they weren't in the wrong, then why would pubs/bars/clubs be so strict on it? :rolleyes:
Since the cashier suspected your friend to be underage, he could not produce ID to prove otherwise, and you made it pretty obvious you were going to buy it for him, they are not allowed to serve you. As for him being 27, well obviously I can't explain the judgment of the cashier, I can only explain the reasoning behind the refusal.
hobo06
As for him being 27, well obviously I can't explain the judgment of the cashier

Old age I image. The greater age distance you are from young adults, the less able you are to distinguish age brackets into smaller categories? Either that or going senile.
I'm under 18 currently working in a supermarket, so Ihave to get a supervisor to authorise any customer I get who buysalcohol/cigarettes/knives etc...I can't ask for ID, I have to let my supervisordecide. Normally we get adults coming in on their own to shop so that's fine,or parents with little kids who obviously won't be drinking 30 year oldwhiskey, and we get 20+ year old couples who don't mind being asked for ID. Ieven had a woman the other day who my supervisor asked for her ID, she lookedtotally shocked and uttered "...I'm 30!" Before handing over her ID.I've never experienced people getting rejected harshly but I suppose each storediffers to how strictly they enforce that rule, depends how many underagepeople try and buy stuff from them. I will always take my ID out with me when Iturn 18 soon! :smile:
Sooo mad, just been to a weatherspoons with my boyfriend. He is 20 and I am 18. We had both ordered our meals and ordered coke with them. Once we had finished our meals and drinks, he went back to the bar and wanted to order two more glasses of coke and a dessert. He got to the bar and this woman said "can I have some ID please" and my boyfriend replied "but it's just coke". So he came to get my ID and she then said "no I need to have her here as proof". So he came back down to me and we just left. It is stupidly pathetic and very time wasting. My boyfriend was humiliated at the bar. Plus many times we have been asked for ID buy the same woman so now we joke and call her "the cockblocker". Never going to weatherspoons again.
Reply 147
Original post by sugar_and_spice
I got ID'd for a coke in Spoons :-/
I'm 21
And I didn't have any ID on me
But then he let me buy the drink, as he realised what an idiot he was.

they should only ask for id alcohol or energy drink coke is not an energy drink

Latest