The Student Room Group

I can see my ribs but my stomach sticks out

Does anyone else have this? I have been eating under 1800 cals last 2 weeks and seen a slight decrease in my stomach. All my life it bulges out slightly, so annoying.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Neo Con
Does anyone else have this? I have been eating under 1800 cals last 2 weeks and seen a slight decrease in my stomach. All my life it bulges out slightly, so annoying.

Same with me, just guess it's to do with the physical structure of the body.
Reply 2
Z_Ahmed
Same with me, just guess it's to do with the physical structure of the body.

That's what I mean. My fat always gets stored here mainly. Such a piss take :p:

However I am determined to lose it this time once and for all.

Some guy goes you cannot do anything as it's the shape of your oblique muscle. Lol. But as Arnie said, if it jiggles it's fat, so there is hope I can get rid of it through diet and cardio :yes:
Reply 3
Neo Con
That's what I mean. My fat always gets stored here mainly. Such a piss take :p:

However I am determined to lose it this time once and for all.

Some guy goes you cannot do anything as it's the shape of your oblique muscle. Lol. But as Arnie said, if it jiggles it's fat, so there is hope I can get rid of it through diet and cardio :yes:

Lol, well i find it annoying too because I want some fat around my ribcage too. It's an easy frail target of a punch at the moment, lol. I don't really have that much fat but enough for a slight enough bulge to observe the frailty of the ribs.
(*Nearly... ¬.¬) Every kid in africa looks fat, but its because of their poor diet. Its like carbohydrate only or lack of protien or something like that. perhaps yours is a similar problem.
Reply 5
Z_Ahmed
Lol, well i find it annoying too because I want some fat around my ribcage too. It's an easy frail target of a punch at the moment, lol. I don't really have that much fat but enough for a slight enough bulge to observe the frailty of the ribs.

Exactly, it's a tiny bulge which you can't see unless you wear like a really tight top.

When you eat does it bulge out more or stay the same?
Reply 6
Yeah i'm exactly the same, am only a size 6/8 but have a big ribcage and pot tummy :frown:
Reply 7
Krisjustreadin
Every kid in africa looks fat, but its because of their poor diet. Its like carbohydrate only or lack of protien or something like that. perhaps yours is a similar problem.

That is kwashiorkor syndrome :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Sounds like a lack of muscle to be honest, build some through your whole body then see if its still like it
I have this mildly :nothing:
Reply 10
saffie123
Yeah i'm exactly the same, am only a size 6/8 but have a big ribcage and pot tummy :frown:

I know it sucks. My brother got lucky, even when he puts on fat on his stomach it all looks flat but wobbly. Which is fine as it's still flat.

My basic shape is that nasty pot belly, yuck. lol.

Hopefully if we stay persistent with our dieting, it will eventually go.
Fat tends to build up on your stomach, not on your ribs. Eventually it will appear everywhere, but initially it "prefers" the abdomen, hips, bum.
Yup same, my ribcage is huge and always pertrudes no matter how podgy I get. Most girls have a tiny ribcage and big hips but im the opposite. From the side my ribs stick out further than my hips so when I am thin everyone gets worried cos I look awful. Oh well, maybe I just have a bigger heart.
I have that too, it kinda sucks. :\
Neo Con

Do you do stomach crunches or sit-ups? This may help.

I suggest this as a fat man incapable of dieting properly, of course!
Reply 15
mipegg
Sounds like a lack of muscle to be honest, build some through your whole body then see if its still like it

I am doing weight training 3 times a week and once a week cardio. All my time permits right now.

Tempted to just do the marine corps workout, loads of pull ups and push ups, that might sort it out more easily.
Reply 16
Richard_A_Garner
Do you do stomach crunches or sit-ups? This may help.

I suggest this as a fat man incapable of dieting properly, of course!

That won't help one bit. Need to get rid of the fat first before fine tuning the muscle.
saffie123

yeah im the same but so are 99% of women :smile:
Reply 18
i have the same symptoms too. i've noticed that my tummy sticks out more when my carb intake is higher than my protein intake and when i haven't had a lot of dietary fiber.
You could be constipated...

Quick Reply

Latest