The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I should seed more often.
Xtrm2Matt
You're right, which is why I don't use "private" trackers like Demonoid which simply require a quick invite.

Private trackers are ranked 1-5 or 1-10 (5 or 10 being the highest respectively). The tracker I'm on is rated 4.5 and 9 on which ever scale you go for so we're not talking about every man and his dog has an account and available invites (i.e. Demonoid). Invites are only given on request and the admins consider the request before they dish one out for you.

Yes, the chances that a Fed is there to catch you out will always be there, but with such trackers like mine, it's very unlikely.

What scale is this? I'd like to see where all the trackers are judged to be on it. I'm guessing you're on ScT or FTN then. Current member of the former and former member of the latter (account pruned).
Reply 62
Xtrm2Matt
You're right, which is why I don't use "private" trackers like Demonoid which simply require a quick invite.

Private trackers are ranked 1-5 or 1-10 (5 or 10 being the highest respectively). The tracker I'm on is rated 4.5 and 9 on which ever scale you go for so we're not talking about every man and his dog has an account and available invites (i.e. Demonoid). Invites are only given on request and the admins consider the request before they dish one out for you.

Yes, the chances that a Fed is there to catch you out will always be there, but with such trackers like mine, it's very unlikely.

I too have not heard of this scale. But what exactly do the admins take into consideration before giving out an invite? They can hardly do a background check on you, as that is against the nature of torrenting. You are just as anonymous as the feds. And what's to stop someone adding TPB's or Demonoid's tracker to a torrent before uploading it? Unless it is just common practice within these higher ranked communities to check every torrents trackers, though I can't imagine that being the case. Even if you warn people of something in comments, on any website, regarding anything, there is always someone incapable of reading the comments, or even the description/article.
Reply 63
hobo06
I too have not heard of this scale. But what exactly do the admins take into consideration before giving out an invite? They can hardly do a background check on you, as that is against the nature of torrenting. You are just as anonymous as the feds. And what's to stop someone adding TPB's or Demonoid's tracker to a torrent before uploading it? Unless it is just common practice within these higher ranked communities to check every torrents trackers, though I can't imagine that being the case. Even if you warn people of something in comments, on any website, regarding anything, there is always someone incapable of reading the comments, or even the description/article.

They basically do-do some kind of 'background check' on the person you're inviting. You have to link them to the user on other torrent sites and they'll determine whether or not the user 'deserves' an invite. Then you have to go and describe how you know this person, how long you've known this person, and so on. It isn't just a 'enter email address to invite', private trackers do their best to stay underground!

I would hazard a guess that if you tried to include other trackers along with the private one in a torrent, it would be rejected when you upload it. I'm not sure, I've never been foolish enough to add in public trackers, and I doubt anyone else who cherishes their account has either!

If you do a quick Google search, the rankings were posted on various sites. Also, neither ScT or FTN :smile:
Reply 64
Xtrm2Matt
They basically do-do some kind of 'background check' on the person you're inviting. You have to link them to the user on other torrent sites and they'll determine whether or not the user 'deserves' an invite. Then you have to go and describe how you know this person, how long you've known this person, and so on. It isn't just a 'enter email address to invite', private trackers do their best to stay underground!

I would hazard a guess that if you tried to include other trackers along with the private one in a torrent, it would be rejected when you upload it. I'm not sure, I've never been foolish enough to add in public trackers, and I doubt anyone else who cherishes their account has either!

If you do a quick Google search, the rankings were posted on various sites. Also, neither ScT or FTN :smile:

After looking into those 2 sites, I see now just how difficult it is to get into, and the websites themselves aren't the easiest to find. Certainly not as accessible as those such as Demonoid. I can't imagine many feds wanting to waste their time on these small private trackers. After all, in reality it is just money they are after, and they can get it much quicker by going after the many more people using public trackers.

Latest

Trending

Trending