Pill and flights

Watch
fredscarecrow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've had a look on the airline's website for an answer but i'm still not clear.

Basically, I'm flying to Portugal [via Monarch] a week on Saturday. I need to take my contraceptive pills with me, but I'm nervous about putting them in my hold baggage in case my suitcase gets lost or left behind.
Am I allowed to take in in my hand luggage - it would only be one months worth? I don't want to risk them turning it down at security, in which case I'd lose the pills totally.
I can't ask at the check-in desk as my parents don't know I'm on the pill, and I don't want to have to deal with that scene at the airport.

I'm tempted to think I should just put thrm in my hold luggage and keep my fingers crossed... the Monarch website says only medicine required for the flight is allowed in hand luggage, but it doesn't mention contraceptive pills anywhere...
Sara91
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
im sure it will be fine. If the worst comes to the worst they will search your bag with you there and will probably be a female.
Antimatter
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, of course you can take pills with you on a plane. If you're that worried, bring your prescription. But I'm a frequent flier, and take a colourful variety of prescription meds.
JCM89
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
Yes, hand luggage is fine. It's only liquids that there is an issue with in hand luggage.
emzily
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fredscarecrow)
I've had a look on the airline's website for an answer but i'm still not clear.

Basically, I'm flying to Portugal [via Monarch] a week on Saturday. I need to take my contraceptive pills with me, but I'm nervous about putting them in my hold baggage in case my suitcase gets lost or left behind.
Am I allowed to take in in my hand luggage - it would only be one months worth? I don't want to risk them turning it down at security, in which case I'd lose the pills totally.
I can't ask at the check-in desk as my parents don't know I'm on the pill, and I don't want to have to deal with that scene at the airport.

I'm tempted to think I should just put thrm in my hold luggage and keep my fingers crossed... the Monarch website says only medicine required for the flight is allowed in hand luggage, but it doesn't mention contraceptive pills anywhere...
they'll be fine in your hand luggage. put them in with your liquids in that see-through bag if you're worried - that's what i did when i flew back home yesterday.
fredscarecrow
Rep:
?
Thanks, good to know
I don't fly very often, so I have a tendency to panic about everything.
Becky_90
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You'll be fine.
Me and my friends put ours in our hand luggage when we flew last month.
ali_bath
Report 10 years ago
Yup I take a variety of drugs on planes. They've never once questioned my epi-pen which is an adrenaline-loaded needle. Pills are fine, best to take them in the box with your name on though. Just so you can prove they're yours if you need to.
f617b
Report 10 years ago
im in exactly the same situation, flying on wednesday with my mum and she has no idea im on the pill. just wondering if they did check them when you went? really don't want to make a scene in front of everyone
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Come on ladies, 'fess up to your Mumsies.
fredscarecrow
Rep:
?
(Original post by f617b)
im in exactly the same situation, flying on wednesday with my mum and she has no idea im on the pill. just wondering if they did check them when you went? really don't want to make a scene in front of everyone
Nah didn't check them at all.
sophiegreen_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
does your medication get checked each time you go through security or does it not get picked up on the scanner? sorry i’m in the same situation lol
sophiegreen_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Becky_90)
You'll be fine.
Me and my friends put ours in our hand luggage when we flew last month.
did yours get picked up and checked through security? sorry i’m in the same situation with my parents not knowing lol
kabbyb
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've taken around 10 flights since I started my pill and I put one month's worth in my hand luggage and one month in my suitcase (then if one of my bags gets lost I still have a pack!). I have never been questioned about it and have never put it in the clear bag with my liquids. I just don't think it's counted as medication!
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sophiegreen_)
did yours get picked up and checked through security? sorry i’m in the same situation with my parents not knowing lol
Mine never has done.
Theyoungguy33
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If I put the pills in my luggage should I leave them out in the open and wat kind of plastic bag should I use to put them in
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (32)
8.27%
Confident (53)
13.7%
Indifferent (55)
14.21%
Unsure (99)
25.58%
Worried (148)
38.24%

Watched Threads