The Student Room Group

Contact Lenses at a Festival?

I currently wear daily contact lenses and am soon going to Leeds Festival. I want to mostly wear my contacts and, I know it sounds immature, will probably be under the influence a lot of the time, so wil have to remember to change back into my glasses at night.

I know your only technically supposed to wear dailies for 9 hours...

My question is, should I:

A) Wear dailies longer than 9 hours. If so, what can I use to sooth my irratated eyes in order to prolong usage?

B) Get some other kind of contact; what types would be suitable at short notice? Are monthly's better and can they be worn longer? Is there a type that can be worn pretty much continuously over four days?

Thank you very much for any advice.
Reply 1
i wear monthlies normally, and my optician said 8hrs a day tops, but i wear then a lot more than that and don't have any problems apart from the occasional tiredness in the eye, i've never got anything for it, but i think eyedrops can help
when i went to a festival though i effectively used my monthlies as dailies because i was due to change packets anyway.. and just used an extra packet (so got through 3 months worth in 3 days) but wore them like 16++ hours a day.
it's easy enough just to chuck them out when u go to sleep, and if you're too drunk to remember then it's no real big deal if u sleep in them, you might jsut get a bit confused and think "I'm cured!" when u can see in the morning lol.
Reply 2
aren't there like weekly ones as well? :s-smilie: if so just buy one of those
i always wear my dailies for 12+ hours every day
i've never had a problem so i'm sure you wont.
i've also slept in, showered in and put another pair in over the top of mine :biggrin:
you'll be okay
Reply 4
Hi killerjane

A) Yes you can wear your dailies for over 9 hours - I wore them for 16 hours once but that was a bit stupid. My optician says 10 hours max. You really shouldn't wear them for long periods of time very often, but it can't really hurt for just a few days. I would think about what time you're going to be wanting to take them out at night and count the hours backwards. Then you can wear your glasses in the morning (when you're unlikely to actually need your contacts), and contacts in the evening and night time when most of the action happens.

B) I personally would say that dailies are the best kind to have a festival. There's less faff with cleaning them, and all the solutions etc. Plus you hands aren't likely to be that clean as such sanitary facilities don't really exist, so it's just best to get them out of your eyes and chuck them away. Also if you're coming back to your tent drunk then dailies are so much easier!
They do continuous wear ones, go to your optician and find out?
Reply 6
Thanks for all the advice guys :smile: I think for the situation I'm going to go for dailies and take some good eye solution to sooth my eyes. I usually manage to remember to take them out and since the arena doesnt open til 11am, I reckon I could just use my glasses up until then!

I suppose dailies literally will be better in the sense of chucking them etc, so I reckon I'll do that! Cheers again :smile:
Reply 7
im gonna be (trying to do) the same thing at reading. im taking daily disposables and taking them out once i get back to my tent after the headliner then just wearing glasses for the night.

im really paranoid about eye infections and stuff, so im taking a basin that i can fill with water and wash my hands in properly. with soap and everything.
Reply 8
I don't think it's a problem. Just remember to take them out at night. I forgot to take out one of my contact lenses 10 days ago ago and went to the hospital 2 days ago but it's too disintergrated to remove and it's really stingy and horrid.
Reply 9
Eleanor08
im gonna be (trying to do) the same thing at reading. im taking daily disposables and taking them out once i get back to my tent after the headliner then just wearing glasses for the night.

im really paranoid about eye infections and stuff, so im taking a basin that i can fill with water and wash my hands in properly. with soap and everything.

In terms of hygiene why not get some disinfectant hand wipes or some of the alcohol hand gel...as long as you let it dry before you put your hands near your eyes..surely that would be a more practical option?
Reply 10
I have two week ones. There have been time where I've had them on all day and all night. Obviously you really shouldn't, but I've been fine.

This year is my forth year at Leeds and I've never had any problems with my contacts. Even when I've been completely mashed, at Leeds or not, I always remember to take them out.
killerjane
Thanks for all the advice guys :smile: I think for the situation I'm going to go for dailies and take some good eye solution to sooth my eyes. I usually manage to remember to take them out and since the arena doesnt open til 11am, I reckon I could just use my glasses up until then!

I suppose dailies literally will be better in the sense of chucking them etc, so I reckon I'll do that! Cheers again :smile:

Don't know if it's too short notice for you to order/buy them from your opticians, but when i went to Reading i used ones that you can wear for one week straight. May be a tad safer if you're going to be under the influence and it's abit of a burden having to worry about contacts, with the 1week ones you just don't have to do anything, and seeing as they're meant to last for 7 days, having them in just for 4 days is no problem and the quality is really good! They are quite costly though but i would recommend them :smile:
Reply 12
Red_Sky
In terms of hygiene why not get some disinfectant hand wipes or some of the alcohol hand gel...as long as you let it dry before you put your hands near your eyes..surely that would be a more practical option?

I heard that doing that really stings your eyes. seriously, the bowl/basin idea is a winner for me because once ive washed my hands i can wash my hair in it.

then wash it out and make an industrial sized cocktail. :awesome:

i'll be taking hand gel too though.
Use these tips which if you are traveling with contacts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfORtD_gtFw&t

Quick Reply

Latest