Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, a new guy here, so be gentle!
    I heard that there is a snobbish streak in Oxford that can make things unpleasant for anyone, let alone a lonely Maltese boy! Anyone think this is all just a load of out dated rubbish, or is there some truth to the rumours?

dark^wall

ReputationRep:
    so?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dark^wall)
    Anyone think this is all just a load of out dated rubbish, or is there some truth to the rumours?
    it is all rubbish

ReputationRep:
    so..... is it true? Just to get a better idea of the uni. It wouldn't affect my going there, if I get accepted. Just like to know SOMETHING about the identity of the place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dark^wall)
    Hey guys, a new guy here, so be gentle!

I'm from Malta (that tiny little island in the Mediterranean Sea?) and plan on doing my second degree at Oxford. While not really intimidated by the apparent 'imposing' nature of the school, I am a little apprehensive- is everyone really as snobbish as all that???
    Here in Malta I attended San Anton (a private school renown for our English speaking snobs, of which, I'm afraid, I was one. English speaking... not a snob... really...) followed by a two year stint at St. Edward's College (another private school, Malta's answer to the British 'Public school system'. Bleaugh...). So I've had my share of dirty looks from state school students (we call government schools 'public schools' here heh) and, unfortunatly, had to form cliques with other private school pupils. I
    don't know the way things are in England, but here where you went to school is still, unfortunately, rather important.
    People look at you and judge you by your accent (I remember that San Anton had an obsession with Received Pronunciation) and social status (things ARE changing, but hey, it's not like the rest of the world doesn't have these hang ups).
    My mother and father both came from an 'upper-class' background, became professionals (lawyer and notary) and passed their lifestyle on to myself and my brother. My mother lectured briefly at Oxford (Child Law, at Trinity, I think. Might be wrong) and decided that it would be a wonderful experience for me. Now. After all that crap, the problem.
    My mother is english, my dad is maltese. I speak well (it's a requierment around here, if you want to get noticed, though the accent isn't forced; my mother/school's fault), do well at school, attended some of the best schools here in Malta (very good accademically) and think I have a rather good grasp on who I am and where I'm going.
    I heard that there is a snobbish streak in Oxford that can make things unpleasant for anyone, let alone a lonely Maltese boy! Anyone think this is all just a load of out dated rubbish, or is there some truth to the rumours?

Heh, if you've read all that, then thanks. If you havn't, well, you wouldn't be reading this right now, wouldya?

dark^wall
    Nice to know your life story.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2003
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.