Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks, Im a swedish guy studdying IB in Norway. I have applied for Physics in England, so I wondered how the A levels compare to the IB diploma. Will I be behind and have to expect a lot of catching up? (Im taking Maths, Physics and Chemistry at High Level ).

My dad did A levels (Three courses in mathematics and one in physics) some 20 years ago so hes pretty convinced I am way behind the english syllabus, though Ive heard the A levels aint as though today as they used to be.

ReputationRep:
    In general, IB is meant to be of a slightly higher standard than the A-levels (i'm going to get so much critisism now )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icy)
    In general, IB is meant to be of a slightly higher standard than the A-levels (i'm going to get so much critisism now )
    na that's what i've heard too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icy)
    I was of the impression that A-levels are more in depth than IB. And that it is harder to get a 7 in IB than and A in A-levels (from comparison of standard IB and A-level offers).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    I was of the impression that A-levels are more in depth than IB. And that it is harder to get a 7 in IB than and A in A-levels (from comparison of standard IB and A-level offers).
    Well, I think they give lower offers for IB cus they know its more difficult to get all top grades when you have several subjects...

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm well I was looking at the IBO survey of British uni's on friday and the results were as follows. 57% feel that IB students are better prepared for university than their A-Level counterparts, 40% feel that IB doesn't offer any marked advantages or disadvantages and 3% feel that IB students are actually worse prepared. They only area where you would be in any way behind would be in relation to those students who took Further Maths at A-Level. It should only take you a couple of weeks to "catch up" in the relevant areas however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Hmmm well I was looking at the IBO survey of British uni's on friday and the results were as follows. 57% feel that IB students are better prepared for university than their A-Level counterparts, 40% feel that IB doesn't offer any marked advantages or disadvantages and 3% feel that IB students are actually worse prepared. They only area where you would be in any way behind would be in relation to those students who took Further Maths at A-Level. It should only take you a couple of weeks to "catch up" in the relevant areas however.
    But you can do math HL and further math SL in IB...

ReputationRep:
    There are about 60 candidates worldwide for IB Further maths...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    But you can do math HL and further math SL in IB...
    Well, Math HL correspond to just pure math A level I think... May be that Further Maths is even more advanced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    I was of the impression that A-levels are more in depth than IB.
    are u refering to Economics or A-level subjects in general?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Well, Math HL correspond to just pure math A level I think... May be that Further Maths is even more advanced.
    Maths HL is harder than A Level math supposedly (due to a great variety of possible questions I’m told). People who have done Further Maths would just have done more mathematical topics than you, they wouldn’t necessarily any “better” at Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icy)
    are u refering to Economics or A-level subjects in general?
    In general, but economics would be a good example. The A-level book I have (David Beggs's economics) is much more in depth than the IB Alan Glanville one (SL+HL).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    In general, but economics would be a good example. The A-level book I have (David Beggs's economics) is much more in depth than the IB Alan Glanville one (SL+HL).
    personally, i find the IB math HL course quite difficult. i remember our history teacher once said that IB History HL is harder than the A-level one. I'm not sure about the other subjects.

As for Economics, i couldn't agree more. But u must also remember that we are doing the SL course. I've read through the HL sections and it covers most of the things in the A-level text book, just in less detail. One difference between the IB and A-Level might be that the A-level text books are much better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    That just gives you an indication about the relevant depths of the books, not of the two courses. From what I do know though, the IB course is definitly more "essay based" while the A-Level one is perhaps more mathematical in its approach.

ReputationRep:
    That just gives you an indication about the relevant depths of the books, not of the two courses. From what I do know though, the IB course is definitly more "essay based" while the A-Level one is perhaps more mathematical in its approach.
    Bah, I wish it was the opposite way around...

ReputationRep:
    IB is more criteria based as well..... but doesn't that mean that it's easier to get higher grades for IB? u just have to follow the criterias and u'll get have the grades already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icy)
    IB is more criteria based as well..... but doesn't that mean that it's easier to get higher grades for IB? u just have to follow the criterias and u'll get have the grades already.
    Depends, I hate following criteria... I prefer to write stuff so that it seems good to me. I would have gotn a full score on my TOK if it had notr been for that blasted fixed criteria system...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icy)
    Not really, you can have all the criteria in the world but the fact remains that most examiners are going to mark holistically and then just assign you a grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icy)
    That's wrong. A Levels are much more in depth than the IB. (there are fewer subjects after all).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    That's wrong. A Levels are much more in depth than the IB. (there are fewer subjects after all).
    Errrr, is that an assumption or just wild speculation?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.