The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
A Levels are more in - depth than the IB. It's a fact.
Reply 21
Tek

No it is not. What are you basing your "facts" on.
Reply 22
kildare
No it is not. What are you basing your "facts" on.

Nothing, I just don't like IB students coming on to a UK Learning forum and insulting our education system. Why do you all want to come to Uni over here anyway, if we're so bad at educating our children?
Reply 23
Tek
Nothing, I just don't like IB students coming on to a UK Learning forum and insulting our education system. Why do you all want to come to Uni over here anyway, if we're so bad at educating our children?

Who has insulted “your” education system or claimed that “you” are bad at educating your children? People have lots of different reasons for wanting to attend a British university, I personally want the opportunity to study in a country where I can do a respected, challenging single arts degree- something which it is not possible for me to do in my home country. I would also like to continue to study in an international environment, something which I think is easier to do in Britain. I hope you are satsified with my answer to your question.
Reply 24
Tek
Nothing, I just don't like IB students coming on to a UK Learning forum and insulting our education system.

nobody is insulting your education system. at least, i'm sure it was not our intention. maybe u've misunderstood

Tek
Why do you all want to come to Uni over here anyway?

take it as a compliment
Reply 25
Tek

Ok, lets get things straight right away. Norwegian unis SUCK BIG TIME compared to English ones. However, the IB is not a Norwegian system , it is international (It was started in Britain as a matter of fact ). I want to studdy in Britain for two reasons.

1) The universities are way better than over here
2) I dont like norwegian politics, education nor policy regarding science.

When it comes to the IB and the A levels however, I dunno. To me it seems like its either one or the other.
since ur'll takin bout IB an stuff I was wondering could any1 could advise me on whether i should take IB or not. I really like the thought of doing TOK and CAS but im not sure whether it'll be difficult or not, cause u do all the exams at the end of year 13 dont u?
Reply 27
alias25
since ur'll takin bout IB an stuff I was wondering could any1 could advise me on whether i should take IB or not. I really like the thought of doing TOK and CAS but im not sure whether it'll be difficult or not, cause u do all the exams at the end of year 13 dont u?

Yes, you have two years of practising for the exams, which I consider a positive thing. IB is hard, but I like it.
Reply 28
I had a look at an IB maths paper, 2 hours to do 20 questions, for a level maths, you get 1.5 hours for 8 questions :smile:
Reply 29
imasillynarb
I had a look at an IB maths paper, 2 hours to do 20 questions, for a level maths, you get 1.5 hours for 8 questions :smile:

math HL?
Reply 30
icy
IB is more criteria based as well..... but doesn't that mean that it's easier to get higher grades for IB? u just have to follow the criterias and u'll get have the grades already.

that is true but it is easier said than done though, there are a lot of rules and regulations.
in the begining i found it hard because it was so different from what i was use to to, but now i like them.
Tek

Unless you take about 6 A levels I dont think so...but thats just my opinion! But, I think IB teaches you a lot more. In fact, even Britain prefers IB over A levels now, dont they?
_EMMA_
that is true but it is easier said than done though, there are a lot of rules and regulations.
in the begining i found it hard because it was so different from what i was use to to, but now i like them.

Yeah, just 'following' the criteria isn't exactly easy!
Tek

Not higher level IB subjects. It's a fact.

Jeez...what do i know?!
Reply 34
" Nothing, I just don't like IB students coming on to a UK Learning forum and insulting our education system. Why do you all want to come to Uni over here anyway, if we're so bad at educating our children?"

I did A levels for 6 months then decided to switch to IB. But I guess A levels are perfect for people like you...who belive in the ultimate superiority of everything british. "our education" "our children"

lets not forget that UK Unis get lots of foreign investment, and are bettered because of the calibre of international students that they recieve. I'm sorry if I sound harsh...but what you said was kinda mean. :confused:
Reply 35
LadyNamibia
" Nothing, I just don't like IB students coming on to a UK Learning forum and insulting our education system. Why do you all want to come to Uni over here anyway, if we're so bad at educating our children?"

I did A levels for 6 months then decided to switch to IB. But I guess A levels are perfect for people like you...who belive in the ultimate superiority of everything british. "our education" "our children"

lets not forget that UK Unis get lots of foreign investment, and are bettered because of the calibre of international students that they recieve. I'm sorry if I sound harsh...but what you said was kinda mean. :confused:

What the hell? IB was started in Britain for christ sake. I quite dont see why preferring IB to A levels is "anti-British". Are you anti british if you prefer Cambridge to Oxford ?
Reply 36
What the hell? IB was started in Britain for christ sake. I quite dont see why preferring IB to A levels is "anti-British". Are you anti british if you prefer Cambridge to Oxford ?

No! It was a response to Tek whos tone was somewhat condescending toward IB and international students alike...by suggesting that IB students
shouldn't come on these forums and criticize a-levels. I defintely don't think preferring IB or A levels makes anyone anti-british.... didn't say anything about being "anti-british"

Just that the a-level curriculum is based on the uk...which is preferrable if one thinks that the world revolves around london.

and by the way wasn't IB created in geneva switzerland?
Reply 37
LadyNamibia
No! It was a response to Tek whos tone was somewhat condescending toward IB and international students alike...by suggesting that IB students
shouldn't come on these forums and criticize a-levels. I defintely don't think preferring IB or A levels makes anyone anti-british.... didn't say anything about being "anti-british"

Just that the a-level curriculum is based on the uk...which is preferrable if one thinks that the world revolves around london.

and by the way wasn't IB created in geneva switzerland?

No. It is currently run from Geneva. But I Im quite certain it originated from Britain and thats also why it is based upon the English educational system. It was intended to be a pre-university program for international students.
Reply 38
No. It is currently run from Geneva. But I Im quite certain it originated from Britain and thats also why it is based upon the English educational system. It was intended to be a pre-university program for international students.

http://www.ibo.org/ibo/index.cfm?page=/ibo/about/ibo_history&language=EN
Reply 39
Aye, I believe it was created by a former History teacher at my school and we are indeed the very first international school (wohoo). I think the IBO might be based in Cardiff now though.

Latest