Turn on thread page Beta

whats your opinion on GM food? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    isnt it more worrying that even though theyv eradicate smallpox, they have to keep vials of the antibody safe(from which they can backengineer it) in case someone else uses it on them.
    Those are not the reasons for keeping it alive. If you destroy it, you will never be able to tell what made it so deadly. The idea is that with better technology, and more understanding, one might perhaps be able to figure out why smallpox was such a deadly virus, and that could be a breakthrough in the design of antiviral drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Those are not the reasons for keeping it alive. If you destroy it, you will never be able to tell what made it so deadly. The idea is that with better technology, and more understanding, one might perhaps be able to figure out why smallpox was such a deadly virus, and that could be a breakthrough in the design of antiviral drugs.
    sorry - but actually the reasons is still a hangover from the COld War, the US and Russia are the only two countries with small samples of it, no research is done on it. Another worrying thing is that 'civilised countries' have stopped making biological weapons but continued having anti biological weapons research which looks at creating ideal biological weapons anyway.

ReputationRep:
    What's worrying is that Bush became president. And that russia (and loads of other countries i'd assume) have hundreds of destroyed/decomissioned whatever they call it, nukes, which just need to be dug up, have some rust scraped off and be reassembled... shouldn't take too much time. And that way we can be sure that once everyone's used up their "registered" nukes, there's still going to be plenty more to kill the survivors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    'civilised countries' have stopped making biological weapons but continued having anti biological weapons research which looks at creating ideal biological weapons anyway.
    I have been at the Norwegian defense research department for biotoxiological studdy several times now, and I can tell you that the main focus on the research there deals with antiboddies against VX and Sarin. Also part of the research deals with the side effects of psychoactive substances, such as Extasy or Cannabis. Im sorry to say so, but I think you are a little bit paranoid when it comes to this. Most major military powers already have nuclear weapons, they simply have no reason to develop chemical or biological weapons in addition.

The main part of the military offensive research today deals more with how to incorporate high tech devices into the military.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spc_K)
    What's worrying is that Bush became president. And that russia (and loads of other countries i'd assume) have hundreds of destroyed/decomissioned whatever they call it, nukes, which just need to be dug up, have some rust scraped off and be reassembled... shouldn't take too much time. And that way we can be sure that once everyone's used up their "registered" nukes, there's still going to be plenty more to kill the survivors.
    Its not that easy to reassemble a nuke after its plutonium has been extracted and melted into a new form... Also, the initiator consisting of Americum and Polonium is not just something you buy at a wallmart... Id be more worried when it comes to countries like North Korea / Iran developing these weapons. They might just be crasy / desperate enough to use them. When it comes to the US and Russia I think the risk is quite slim for them to use a nuclear weapon as their military powers are strong enough to handle almost any significant big scale threat in the conventional way. After all, theres no point in targeting individual suecide bombers with a 10 megaton thermonuclear warhead...

ReputationRep:
    i don't know about now, but i heard (and am inclined to believe), russia just kind of removed the rocket part and burried a load of warheads a while back... hopefully they dug them up again and destroyed them properly... but they certainly still have the scientists and i assume the materials to build them up again... would take some time, but i'm sure they'd do it before radiation crazymutoweirdness killed them.

ReputationRep:
    But if you read other posts, most people believe nuclear weapons will not be used, biological and chemical weapons are cheaper to produce and it is harder to work out who deployed them. Btw, im playing devil's advocate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spc_K)
    i don't know about now, but i heard (and am inclined to believe), russia just kind of removed the rocket part and burried a load of warheads a while back... hopefully they dug them up again and destroyed them properly... but they certainly still have the scientists and i assume the materials to build them up again... would take some time, but i'm sure they'd do it before radiation crazymutoweirdness killed them.
    Well if its russia you are afraid of, they havnt really dismanteled ALL their warheads. They just decreased the numbers with a few thousands... Besides, if the superpowers decided to use their nukes, we are screwed even if they do not rebuild those they have dismanteled. Russia could set them all of at their own soil and still hurt the americans pretty bad...

I would be more worried about the tiny fundamentalistic states with some just straight out insane leadership. Those might just come up with the idea to use it...

ReputationRep:
    so Jonaton r u worried about countries like Pakistan and India having nuclear weapons as a conventional war there looks likely and no leader will leave their greatest weapon undeployed when they start to lose

ReputationRep:
    I think caution is definitely advisable - I can't imagine there can be many dangers to human health (although antibiotic-containing tomatoes sound dodgy to me and yes, they have been suggested and even tried I think) but the environmental implications could be huge. Having said that I don't think it should be dismissed out of hand - there are people working on GM crops that could benefit people in thrid world countries enormously (eg drought-resistant crops, rice with extra vitamins etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I think caution is definitely advisable - I can't imagine there can be many dangers to human health (although antibiotic-containing tomatoes sound dodgy to me and yes, they have been suggested and even tried I think) but the environmental implications could be huge. Having said that I don't think it should be dismissed out of hand - there are people working on GM crops that could benefit people in thrid world countries enormously (eg drought-resistant crops, rice with extra vitamins etc).
    Yay! I've gone up a rank!

ReputationRep:
    think of the dangers like "tomacco"... the simpsons know all i tell you! (yes ok, i am just jealous and want to be a post closer to being "Junior")

ReputationRep:
    um - there is enough food or enough potential already (ie Butter mountains), especially with the useless policy that is CAP. So the EU wants to keep prices high and GM might lower prices but give certain companies monopolies. Which is the better alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    I've heard people say 'are you wanting' before. I think it's allowed.
    No it's not. People say it, but it is incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    No it's not. People say it, but it is incorrect.
    Well I understood him.

ReputationRep:
    I know this sounds odd, but I'm vegetarian so I worry when I hear stuff like their putting fish genes in tomatoes. Ok, so they won't be harming a fish by reproducing a fish gene, but it still bugs me because I choose to have no part in eating animals and somehow it just feels wrong to eat a tomato thats been affected in that way.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.