Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got a B+ in my english original writing and I really was aiming for an A.

Do you think I should redraft it or is a B+ good enough?

ReputationRep:
    If you think you can do better, are allowed to by your school, and have the motivation then why not try to get the best you can?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    If you think you can do better, are allowed to by your school, and have the motivation then why not try to get the best you can?
    Yes we are allowed. I don't really have the time and don't fancy writing 10 sides again, it has to be in hand writing too!!!

Do you think B+ is a good mark though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    Yes we are allowed. I don't really have the time and don't fancy writing 10 sides again, it has to be in hand writing too!!!

Do you think B+ is a good mark though?
    What proportion of your GCSE does it make up? Overall, do you think you will be at a grade borderline? Are you sure that you could do significantly better if you redid it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    What proportion of your GCSE does it make up? Overall, do you think you will be at a grade borderline? Are you sure that you could do significantly better if you redid it?
    It would take too much time. I'm not sure. I think the 5 pieces make up 30%.
    In my last one I got a B++ and this B+ and it goes by the average mark altogether.

ReputationRep:
    I got a B+ in my english original writing and I really was aiming for an A.

Do you think I should redraft it or is a B+ good enough?
    I always seem to remember original writing being the hardest coursework we had to do for english (out of 5). I think a B+ puts you in a good position for the exam- it certainley doesn't stop you achieving top grades (A/A*) but if its really bugging you then there would be no harm in doing it again. Remember for coursework it's the mark that counts not the grade- if you achieve an A by say 1 mark its not going to make very much difference in the end. I don't think 10 sides is really neccessary to achieve an A either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    I always seem to remember original writing being the hardest coursework we had to do for english (out of 5). I think a B+ puts you in a good position for the exam- it certainley doesn't stop you achieving top grades (A/A*) but if its really bugging you then there would be no harm in doing it again. Remember for coursework it's the mark that counts not the grade- if you achieve an A by say 1 mark its not going to make very much difference in the end. I don't think 10 sides is really neccessary to achieve an A either!
    Yeah, but that's how long it took me to do, my story was quite long.
    Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    instead of riting it again, why dont u pick out several sentences and improve grammar etc. trying using more complex sentences and complicated words. its a waste of time doin it again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    instead of riting it again, why dont u pick out several sentences and improve grammar etc. trying using more complex sentences and complicated words. its a waste of time doin it again!
    Yeah I would but there was nothing wrong with the grammar! I need a completely new piece - needs to be more original.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    I don't think you're allowed to improve on coursework after it has been marked.

ReputationRep:
    You are. She asked us if we wanted to redraft it.

ReputationRep:
    i think u r, cos got a C in one of my c/wk, and my teacher wants me 2 push it up to an A, so i'm improving on that right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    i think u r, cos got a C in one of my c/wk, and my teacher wants me 2 push it up to an A, so i'm improving on that right now
    Yeah, so would you be happy if you got a B+ ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    I can't remember exactly but I think there are some set rules like you're only allowed to re-draft once (after marking). Also I don't think you're allowed to do the same coursework title twice. I recall our school being quite strict about it.

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember exactly but I think there are some set rules like you're only allowed to re-draft once (after marking). Also I don't think you're allowed to do the same coursework title twice. I recall our school being quite strict about it.
    Oh no, she said we can redraft as many times as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, so would you be happy if you got a B+ ?
    no, theres a story in life for that as well
    it goes like this:

we did a macbeth c/wk and i woz JUST ONE TINY WEENIE mark away from an A, so i wanna do that again, i think it matters cos the marks u get in total depend on u'r overall grade.... so i ended up with a B for english in my GCSEs just cos i needed 1 more mark, i'd b REALLY disappointed!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    no, theres a story in life for that as well
    it goes like this:

we did a macbeth c/wk and i woz JUST ONE TINY WEENIE mark away from an A, so i wanna do that again, i think it matters cos the marks u get in total depend on u'r overall grade.... so i ended up with a B for english in my GCSEs just cos i needed 1 more mark, i'd b REALLY disappointed!!
    Oh, I better have a word with the teacher! She marked it out of the whole class, I think, so not really the mark! She compared and gave the amazing ones an A only.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I better have a word with the teacher! She marked it out of the whole class, I think, so not really the mark! She compared and gave the amazing ones an A only.
    didn't u get u'r mark then? ( the number one)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    didn't u get u'r mark then? ( the number one)
    She just said B+. She said " it doesn't reflect your ability. only the exceptional ones got As, it had to be really original etc etc "

ReputationRep:
    Well I have to go now, I'll speak to my teacher tomorrow.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Bye bye

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.