Vegetarians: Do you eat gelatine? Watch

mystiquelol
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've been a vegetarian now for 7 years and I don't eat fish or meat. It's a personal choice and I'm the only one in my family who dosen't. However, I do like sweets ^^ :rolleyes: and occasionally eat ones with gelatine in them such as haribo etc. because there's not much choice. If you're vegetarian, do you avoid gelatine at all costs such as in yoghurts and cake or do you not check? I'm just curious ...
Meg_Lili
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't eat anything containing gelatine or things like rennet as far as is possible, though not having eaten red meat for 8 years and been completely veggie for 3 years, the one thing I miss are M&S Percy Pigs =( I wish they could make Percy Pigs without real pig!

C-
forsaken_earth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
im a pescatarian but i avoid gelatine
Daffff
Report 10 years ago
I don't eat gelatine (and avoid it all costs :P). I find it really really annoying when things like muller light use it because I think it's unnecessary!
Surely in a lot of cases, they could subsitute it for something else?
nikdc5
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I never eat anything I know has gelatine in it, and try and mind and check ingredients of things before I eat them, but inevitably things slip through
pinstripesbaby
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I try not to, and seek substitutes, but sometimes the call of the jelly babies is just too strong :tongue:
Bella_trixxx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Eurgh. I avoid the stuff like hell. It's made from the boiled bones, skins and tendons of animals, for goodness' sake!
D3M!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bella_trixxx)
Eurgh. I avoid the stuff like hell. It's made from the boiled bones, skins and tendons of animals, for goodness' sake!
That just makes me feel like eating gelatine filled goods more.

*goes to the fridge and grabs some BBQ ribs and sweets*
*MJ*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No.

I always read the labels.

Let me give you fellow heros some warnings, some of your favourite snacks may contain gelatine:

* Milkyway yoguhrt

* Squares Cereal bar

* Strawberry Bon Bons

* Haribo (should be obvious)

* Chewitts

There are plenty more for you to watch out. Just make sure you read all the labels.
x_twinkle_x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im not a vegetarian myself but I know my friends who are definitely don't eat gelatine. Surely the whole point of being a vegetarian is not eating meat so gelatine shouldn't be an exception :dontknow:
dances_with_lamposts
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah, i dont mind. im not a veggie because of the animals tho - i just dont like the texture of meat in my mouth, therefore jelly babies are fine!
Lucy798
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i didn't when i was but hey, i'm not anymore and i eat fish.
it is vile stuff but i want to enjoy life ya know
Sianeh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I stopped eating gelatine before I even became vegetrarian..when that whole mad cow disease thing was around then just never started eating foods with it in again.
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you eat gelatine, then you're not really a vegetarian, as you're eating parts of dead animal.

I don't eat anything containing gelatine - in addition to things you know have it in, such as chewy sweets and liquorice allsorts, it's also in lots of things you wouldn't think of - for example, some biscuits, and it's almost always in mousses. I stopped buying mousses years ago after realising they were all made with pork or beef.

I don't understand why there aren't more vegetarian sweets - nobody makes veggie liquorice allsorts and I've never seen veggie chewy sweets or dolly mixtures or anything anywhere
abc101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *MJ*)
No.

I always read the labels.

Let me give you fellow heros some warnings, some of your favourite snacks may contain gelatine:

* Milkyway yoguhrt

* Squares Cereal bar

* Strawberry Bon Bons

* Haribo (should be obvious)

* Chewitts

There are plenty more for you to watch out. Just make sure you read all the labels.
Also Party Rings! Why?!
Ronar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sometimes, I just can't avoid the call of the sour smiley faces or a sour strawberry

But yes, I will give up gelatine soon..I need to lol
Ronar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Damn just spotted party rings have gelatine in ****
DarkWhite
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My girlfriend's a vegetarian and she doesn't eat food containing gelatine. If there are no ingredients, such as the case with some Pick 'n' Mix, then she'll eat jelly sweets, as it's the manufacturer's fault really.

For yogurts, try low-fat ones; they don't usually contain any, except Strawberry ones.

You can get vegetarian jelly powder from places like Asda - just go for their Smart Price stuff.

You can actually get vegetarian-friendly sweets and jellys from online shops: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vegetarian+sweets
lella_m
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No.
midnightmushrooms
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I try not to.
But its very difficult to avoid it because some of the most random foods contain gelatine
I ate a lovely healthy yoghurt the other day and didn't think to check the label. Low and behold, gelatine!! But nowhere on the packet did it say not suitable for vegetarians. I was sooo upset
Then again, I'm only vegetarian for the health benefits really, so I don't get overly stressed about it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (420)
58.91%
Yes- I don't like it (37)
5.19%
No- I want it (208)
29.17%
No- I don't want it (48)
6.73%

Watched Threads