Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I speaking specifically about HIV. Should nations more well off offer retroviral suppression tablets or whatever - just like what Magic Johnston takes - to third world nations affect by these diseases (HIV).

I know most people would say yes. And really and truly HIV/AIDS is currenty causing a serious epidemic and are currently causing economic depression. Would anyone object to this, I know there's the thing that a third world nation should learn responsibility 'specially if they want to become first world.

- Dexnell (Just on a whim)

ReputationRep:
    No Replies or views.

How embarrasing to have a flop thread.

- Dexnell

ReputationRep:
    Yes, ARVs should be freely available to anyone who needs them.
    As should condoms (the cheaper alternative).

(Original post by skevvybritt)
    Yes, ARVs should be freely available to anyone who needs them.
    As should condoms (the cheaper alternative).
    Should be available - yes but ONLY through medical programmes and in the form of HAART.
    We cannot allow access to just one or two types of drugs unsupervised (as has happened in some areas of africa)

However, here is a debate...
    Drug companies are forced to make drugs cheaper in the 3rd world than 1st.
    Should 1st world countries get a rebate of sorts for the cost of treating immigrants..?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why not. It's seems very beneficial.

The thing is too, that 1st world countries also have diseases to fight and it's only tax payers monies being spent to pass out these tablets or whatever.
    Another thing why these Suppression Medicine or ARVs need to be distributed freely is because these seems disease infected people may move to 1st world nations and cause a problem there too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexnell)
    I don't see why not. It's seems very beneficial.

The thing is too, that 1st world countries also have diseases to fight and it's only tax payers monies being spent to pass out these tablets or whatever.
    Another thing why these Suppression Medicine or ARVs need to be distributed freely is because these seems disease infected people may move to 1st world nations and cause a problem there too.
    Immigration policies do not exactly favor people with such diseases.

I speaking specifically about HIV. Should nations more well off offer retroviral suppression tablets or whatever - just like what Magic Johnston takes - to third world nations affect by these diseases (HIV).

I know most people would say yes. And really and truly HIV/AIDS is currenty causing a serious epidemic and are currently causing economic depression. Would anyone object to this, I know there's the thing that a third world nation should learn responsibility 'specially if they want to become first world.

- Dexnell (Just on a whim)
    The U.S. donates (spends) money for AIDS in Africa....not sure how much, or if it's in the form of medicine or money.

I agree, all nations should do as much as they can to help the 3rd world nations combat AIDS

ReputationRep:
    They should just make sure that the country is relatively well-governed and is not destroying its economic potential by pursuing statist policies.

(Original post by Douglas)
    The U.S. donates (spends) money for AIDS in Africa....not sure how much, or if it's in the form of medicine or money.

I agree, all nations should do as much as they can to help the 3rd world nations combat AIDS
    Did anyone else used to get peeved that the one half developed country in africa (S.Africa) also was the one denying the ARV worked/ the link between HIV and AIDs.
    Like someone said earlier, its like denying the holocaust or denying global warming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Immigration policies do not exactly favor people with such diseases.
    The specific problem here is that people with diseases with very long incubation periods can immigrate long before they show signs of having the disease

ReputationRep:
    I would like to see more money going to drug and education programs for AIDS abroad. I suppose its something we regualarly tae for granted here in the UK but if your sick you can go to the doctors and you will be treated. If you have cancer you will recieve treatment and you dont ahve to pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    Bismarck, this was my kep point, they need to make sure their governments run probably and that thier economics are in decent of places to earn money and not be in debt.

- Dexnell

ReputationRep:
    Bismarck, this was my kep point, they need to make sure their governments run probably and that thier economics are in decent of places to earn money and not be in debt.

- Dexnell
    The problem is that most third-world governments don't have decent governments and their economies are unproductive to the extreme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    The specific problem here is that people with diseases with very long incubation periods can immigrate long before they show signs of having the disease
    Still, most immigration policies in first world countries, as far as I'm aware, require a physical, blood work, and innoculations. Labs would show that the potential immigrant is HIV positive.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.