The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well, having read the bible code book I have to say that it is a convincing argument, however the horizon programme which featured this (i think this is where you got most of your knowledge from) portrayed both sides of the argument equally. However it neglected to mention the fact the the two towers incident was fully encoded within the bible and that countless other examples of this have been found within the bible itself including the names of over 52 people involved in the making and production of one of the programmes on the God channel. I'm not saying I believe 100% in this as counter evidence was proved but one thing I would suggest is that if God really had written a code into the bible i doubt it would be used to fortell the furture or of Judgement day seeing as God stated in the bible that no one would know the day of judgement not even the son would know, only the father.

Something else perculiar that was not mentioned was the fact that a prediction of some great storm that happened (i dont know details) of rain and flood and hail was encoded across each other in the book of Job DIRECTLY in the lines in the text describing a reckoning with hail and rains and great whirlwinds. This kind of "Coincidence" has uinbelievably high odds of occuring and this si something whaich oposing evidence has not yet achieved to replicate- code being found interlocking with other codes WITHIN an identically thematic piece of text within a passage. Intruiging indeed...

I don't really know where I stand with it, but it is an interesting study that will doubtlessly go on to prove much speculation and heated discussion in the future (if there is one heh! :tongue: )
king of swords
reasonably appropriate i should think: http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=16215

The only thing is, if you're going to do a lot of those things you have to REALLY hope you're right about the world ending... Although I suppose if you commit suicide anyway that solves that one.
Reply 22
i dont know what this code is based on, but im assuming its something to do with letters and placement. Isn't the Bible that you read a translation, considering that the earliest dated bibles that we have are in Greek. Therefore there would be different meanings and arrangement of letters. There was a whol Reformation, mainly about the mistranslation of a few key passages in the Bible.
Reply 23
JSM
i dont know what this code is based on, but im assuming its something to do with letters and placement. Isn't the Bible that you read a translation, considering that the earliest dated bibles that we have are in Greek. Therefore there would be different meanings and arrangement of letters. There was a whol Reformation, mainly about the mistranslation of a few key passages in the Bible.

I think the Bible code was used with the 'original' Hebrew transcripts. I'm not sure really though.
Reply 24
Kalandraka
Well, having read the bible code book I have to say that it is a convincing argument, however the horizon programme which featured this (i think this is where you got most of your knowledge from) portrayed both sides of the argument equally. However it neglected to mention the fact the the two towers incident was fully encoded within the bible and that countless other examples of this have been found within the bible itself including the names of over 52 people involved in the making and production of one of the programmes on the God channel. I'm not saying I believe 100% in this as counter evidence was proved but one thing I would suggest is that if God really had written a code into the bible i doubt it would be used to fortell the furture or of Judgement day seeing as God stated in the bible that no one would know the day of judgement not even the son would know, only the father.

Something else perculiar that was not mentioned was the fact that a prediction of some great storm that happened (i dont know details) of rain and flood and hail was encoded across each other in the book of Job DIRECTLY in the lines in the text describing a reckoning with hail and rains and great whirlwinds. This kind of "Coincidence" has uinbelievably high odds of occuring and this si something whaich oposing evidence has not yet achieved to replicate- code being found interlocking with other codes WITHIN an identically thematic piece of text within a passage. Intruiging indeed...

I don't really know where I stand with it, but it is an interesting study that will doubtlessly go on to prove much speculation and heated discussion in the future (if there is one heh! :tongue: )

Interesting yes I saw some of the Horizon programme about it thats where I saw it. I haven't actually read the bible code books but I am going to. I know that there were other statisticians etc that put they bibe code to the test and caimed to have disproved it, but like the programme said they can't agree on a suitable protocol (or whatever its called i'm not a mathematician) to thoroughly test it, so the way I saw it (maybe i'm wrong) was that it was inconclusive. Maybe there is something in it, it is too easy to write things off as pseudo-scientific nonsense so who knows? A good scientist keeps a partly open mind.
Reply 25
Stephen King
the 'original' Hebrew transcripts. I'm not sure really though.
exactly and even if it was, the originals are probably not original as u highlighted
Reply 26
I went to london for a lecture with that mathematical bloke Simon Singh? the one that wrote the book thermats last theorem or whatever... anyway, I never belived "bible code", but he demonstrated that the rules of the bible code practically guarantee messages in ANY writing. To back that up he showed the trade towers incident predicted in moby dick, and on the next page, found the words "queen of hearts" "princess" "crash" (twice) and other things including a dubious reference to the date... ooh and some of them intesected, which is apparently very significant according to bible code. So yea, i belive it, like i belive Tony Blair or Bush.
Reply 27
Stephen King
I can't remember his name, but what you're saying is that one of the greatest mathematicians in the world is wrong then or lying? Surely he wouldn't risk his reputation by making a wacky claim.

A wacky person would never make a wacky claim!

First of all, the world can be destroyed by us. Species die out all the time; shit happens. Just because a writing 2,000 years ago foretold the possibility of the end of the species doesn't make it an accurate claim because the species did come to an end.

Besides, the Mayans have more accurate prophecies than the Bible. In fact, Jesus may have plagiarized the Mayans. Somebody should look into that. They Mayans may have a pretty good case if we could only prove the unicorns didn't have anything to do with this madman robbery.

p.s. God told me you will die within 76 years!
Reply 28
caz

p.s. God told me you will die within 76 years!

just cos you don't agree with God, don't take the mick , even if you are tryin to make a point. Im sure there are some v. religious ppl on this forum.
Reply 29
JSM
just cos you don't agree with God, don't take the mick , even if you are tryin to make a point. Im sure there are some v. religious ppl on this forum.

I believe in God, but I don't believe in God as the character in the Bible. I should be able to make jokes about historical stories...not my fault if people worship them. I can't help them. But it is a part of history!
Reply 30
Nostradamus said the same sort of thing, there would be a WWIII in around 2006 (begun by actions, rather scarily, in 2004), and the only nation to survive unscathed would be poland (woo-hoo!)
elpaw
Copernicus said the same sort of thing, there would be a WWIII in around 2006 (begun by actions, rather scarily, in 2004), and the only nation to survive unscathed would be poland (woo-hoo!)

Copernicus said that?!?!? I doubt it somehow. Why Poland?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 32
hildabeast
Copernicus said that?!?!? I doubt it somehow. Why Poland?

how should i know, and yeas, sorry, nostradamus (im a bit drunk - the queue for bridge is reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally long....)
elpaw
how should i know, and yeas, sorry, nostradamus (im a bit drunk - the queue for bridge is reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally long....)

Don;t go to bridge its crap.

Reply 34
Stephen King
According to the Bible Code, the end of the world will occur in 2006 due to nuclear holocaust! What do you think? We haven't got long left! It will start with Israel launching a nuclear attack on the Palestinians I think. Then have a knock on effect with the rest of the world unleasing their nuclear capabilities. According to one of the greatest mathematicians in the world there is mathematical evidence to suggest that the Bible Code is true! If thats the case we're all going to die!

I'll be in uni by then. :biggrin:
Reply 35
hildabeast
Don;t go to bridge its crap.

ive never been, was wondering what it was like. where do you go?
elpaw
ive never been, was wondering what it was like. where do you go?

Zodiac on Cowley Road, Filth (Westgate Centre) or Purple Turtle usually.

Reply 37
hildabeast
Zodiac on Cowley Road, Filth (Westgate Centre) or Purple Turtle usually.

i go to filth on tuesdays, zodiac on thursdays, cellar on wednesdays, and elsewhere on fridays (im not a union member, so cant go to the PT). my mondays were usually free, but today there was a physics social, and we all decided to go to bridge afterwards, and i was so drunk that i got a headache and now im back here.
elpaw
i go to filth on tuesdays, zodiac on thursdays, cellar on wednesdays, and elsewhere on fridays (im not a union member, so cant go to the PT). my mondays were usually free, but today there was a physics social, and we all decided to go to bridge afterwards, and i was so drunk that i got a headache and now im back here.

Oooh, 'physics' and 'social' in the same sentence???? Haha joking!!!! I've been to Hilda's JCR Christmas adult panto and then aftershow party in the bar!!!

Reply 39
hildabeast
Oooh, 'physics' and 'social' in the same sentence???? Haha joking!!!! I've been to Hilda's JCR Christmas adult panto and then aftershow party in the bar!!!

shut up us physicists are quite social, ask anyone here. the lawyers on the other hand.....

Latest

Trending

Trending