Student finance for migrant workers


If you’re an EEA or Swiss national who is living and working in England, you could get the same student finance as a UK national.

You might also be eligible if a member of your family, such as your parent, husband or wife, is an EEA or Swiss national and is living and working in England.

Any loans you borrow have to be paid back but not until you’ve finished or left your course, and your income is over the repayment threshold.

What’s available

You can get a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9,250 to cover the fees charged by your university or college and a Maintenance Loan to help with living costs, such as rent and books.

There’s also extra help if you have a disability, including a long-term health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty, or you have children or an adult who depends on you financially.


To apply, you must:

  • be an EEA or Swiss national and have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for at least 3 years before the start of your course,
  • be living in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course,
  • be planning to study a full-time course that qualifies for student finance, and
  • be working or self-employed (you need to be working enough to support yourself for the whole academic year).

How to apply

You should fill out a paper PN1 form (if you’re a new student) or a PR1 form (if you’re a continuing student). These are available to download from

You should send this form, along with any evidence, to:

EEA Migrant Worker Team






Along with your application, you’ll need to send us your passport or National Identity Card.

You’ll also need to send evidence to show that you’re employed or self employed.

If you’re employed, send us a photocopy of one of the following:

  • your employment contract,
  • your last 3 months’ payslips, or
  • your most recent P60.

If you’re self employed, send us a photocopy of one of the following:

  • your invoices or accounts for the last 3 months,
  • your bank statements for the last 3 months, or
  • your latest tax return.

You may also need to send us evidence 3 times during the academic year (usually September, December and March) to show that you’re still employed or self-employed. We’ll contact you if we need this.