Student finance for family members of migrant workers

What’s available

You can get a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9,250 to cover the fees charged by your university or college and a Maintenance Loan to help with living costs, such as rent and books.

There’s also extra help if you have a disability including a long-term health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty, or you have children or an adult who depends on you financially.



To apply you must:

  • have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for at least 3 years before the start of your course,
  • be living in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course, and
  • be planning to study a full-time course that qualifies for student finance.

Your EEA or Swiss national family member must:

  • have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for at least 3 years before the start of your course, and
  • be living and working in England (they must be working enough to support you for the whole academic year).

How to apply

You should fill out a paper PN1 form (if you’re a new student) or a PR1 form (if you’re a continuing student). These will be available to download from once the application service opens

You should send this form, along with any evidence, to:

EEA Migrant Worker Team






Along with your application, you’ll need to send us your passport or National Identity Card, and:

  • your family member’s passport or National Identity card
  • evidence of your family member’s employment or self employment
  • a photocopy of your birth certificate (if your family member is your parent)
  • evidence of your marital status (if your family member is your husband, wife or civil partner)
  • evidence that you’re financially or physically dependant on your parent (if you’re over 21 on the first day of your academic year)

If you’re the child or stepchild of a migrant worker and you were in state education in the UK when you were under 18 you’ll also need to send:

  • photocopies of certificates or a letter from your school or college
  • evidence that you came to the UK at the same time as your parent
  • evidence that your parent was working or was self employed on the first day of the first year of your state education

If you’re applying as a stepchild of a migrant worker, you’ll also need to send your parents’ marriage certificate.

We might contact you three times during the academic year (usually September, December and March) for further evidence to show that your family member is still employed or self employed.