Part-time EU students – eligibility

EU students starting courses on or after 1 August 2021 must have settled or pre-settled status in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme to get student finance. This does not apply to students who are Irish citizens.

To apply for the EU Settlement Scheme you must have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020. The application deadline for the EU Settlement Scheme is 30 June 2021.

It’s important that you’re aware of this requirement before applying for student finance, otherwise you will not be eligible for funding from us.

If you’re an EU national and you want more information on whether you’ll be eligible for student finance in 2021 to 2022, visit

You must:

  • be an EU national or the family member of an EU national,
  • have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for at least 3 years before the first day of the first academic year of your course, and
  • be studying a course that qualifies for student finance at an eligible university or college in the UK.

Your course must lead to a recognised higher-education qualification. The most common examples include:

  • first degree (such as a BSc, BA or BEd)
  • Foundation Degree
  • Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Training (ITT)
  • Certificate of Higher Education
  • Integrated Master’s

If you’re not sure whether your course qualifies, you should check with your university or college.

If you’ve studied before

You can usually only get student finance for your first higher-education course. If you’ve already studied a higher-education course, you might not get help for a second.

You can have a maximum of 16 years of part-time funding if you started your course on or after 1 September 2012, or a maximum of eight years if you started your course before 1 September 2012.

If you haven’t got enough years of funding left to cover your course, you’ll usually have to cover some of the cost yourself.