Leaving halls early

Leaving halls before the end of the university year? Here's what you need to know

You'll generally only be allowed to terminate halls tenancy within the first couple of weeks of term OR if you stop being a student at the university. 

Of course, things are a bit different this year, with lockdowns and remote learning meaning that students may want to stay at university but move back home. If this is the case, then you need to have a chat with your accommodation department. If you leave midway through halls, then you may be asked to still pay the rent until specified on your tenancy agreement.

You're responsible for contacting the accommodation department to inform them that you're going to be leaving halls. They'll usually have a form to fill out to explain why you're leaving.

Once you've agreed a move-out date with accommodation then you should proceed to move out. You'll receive your deposit back after they've had chance to inspect your room to check that it’s in good condition.

Follow our moving out guide when you're ready to leave. 

More on TSR
Get help and advice in the accommodation forum
All of our accommodation articles
Is it a bad idea to live at home for uni?