A Guide for those Students not enjoying University
Are you not enjoying university? We understand that university can be a challenging experience. Hey, we've all been through it before. Are you considering dropping out? Don't worry if you are, it's not the end of the world and it does not make you a failure. If you are if you are seriously considering it, you need to make the decision knowing that it is right for you. On this page we've attempted to bring together some useful advice from people who have been in the same position, to help you make your decision.
Considering dropping out?
There are all sorts of reasons why you might be considering dropping out, but whatever your reason, remember that there is always someone willing to listen and offer their advice - from friends and family, to student union staff and tutors. Everyone will of course offer different advice, and while it is your decision, it's better not to make it alone.
Of course, TSR can help too, so why not get our members' advice on how to:
- Enhance your university experience
- Balance your studies with other commitments
- Make more friends and beat loneliness
- Engage more with your studies
- Budget your finances
- How to cope studying with an illness/disability
- Deal with work load and motivational problems
- Beat away those university blues
- Cope with living away from home
Want more advice? Then why not visit our University Discussion forum, to talk over your options with other students?
Alternatives to dropping out
There are a number of alternative routes to choose between that would enable you the time to do some of the following without dropping out:
- Do some work experience and earn money
- Resolve any personal issues
For a run down of these options, see our "What Alternatives do I Have?" article.
- Or go straight into the Changing Course article, to see if this is an option for you.
Considered All Your Options?
If you're sure that you cannot be reconciled with the idea of staying at university, then make sure you have considered the following before you go through with your decision:
An alternative to studying full time is to do a course with The Open University whilst you work. The Open University have put together a resource on The Student Room for students struggling with their current FT course. Visit the Open University Study Choices page
- Want to read the experiences of students who have considered dropping out but didn’t? See how they are dealing with the issues they are having.
- Want to read experiences of students who did drop out? See how this affected them and what they did next.