We asked TSR members to share what the people who study their course are like... does this sound like you?
- Introverts overall
- Either hopelessly incompetent or frighteningly brilliant at mental arithmetic
- Pretend they’re doing the degree for career prospects, but really just like solving maths problems
- Use of the word trivial is commonplace
- Will eavesdrop on anyone speaking a foreign language
- Will maintain that watching movies and listening to music is proper work
- Will completely forget everything once the magic phrase “Say something in x language” is uttered
- Their friends are all tired of hearing about the chemicals written on the back of bottles
- Feel really clever when they know a chemical from its formula
- Good memories for learning lots of equations
- Quiz each other on chemical formulas and feel proud when they get it right
- Spend all their free time sitting around in coffee shops reading books
- Lots of glasses, beards and bicycles
- Hopeless romantics
- Only date people who enjoy reading
- Spend nearly all their time in the library reading
- Hate essays with a passion
- Good at arguing
- Dead on the inside
- Love discussion
- Thoughtful and analytical
- Perpetual existential crisis
- Sick of people asking about career prospects
- Hate their own work, but love everyone elses'
- Great at blagging ("you would be too if you had to explain why a chair is ‘emotional’")
- Will make the mistake of wearing white once, and only once
- Never get lost
- Can’t walk down a high street anymore without identifying potential victims to corner to answer a questionnaire
- Almost all have jeans, fleeces and boots as wardrobe staples.
- Stupendously extravagant personalities
- Very creative and good at making things
- Mostly in debt from borrowing to spend all their money on a new Alexander Wang coat because it "matches sooo well with the thrift store shoes I originally bought for Grandma".
What are the people who study your subject like? Get involved in the thread here, or share your thoughts in the comments below.