Need help with your Personal statement?
Personal statement reviews on The Student Room is a free service that aims to give advice and tips for improving applicants' personal statements for university applications. The PS reviewers are all current university students, graduates and professionals who donate their time to help others.
Who runs the service?
The Personal statement helper team is made up of community members and TSR Volunteers who use their expertise in their subject areas to review personal statements.
What does the personal statement review service offer to students?
- This is a peer-run service managed by volunteers and supported by TSR community staff who have both considerable experiencing of reviewing personal statements and have been through the university application process themselves.
- Previously the volunteers ran The Student Room's PS Help service between 2005 and 2012 completing over 10,000 personal statement reviews.
- TSR members submit their final UCAS personal statement draft confidentially into a private forum where only PS reviewers can view the content.
- Members are provided with advice and feedback on the content and structure of their personal statement, this may include recommendations for improvements to spelling, grammar and wording.
- Your personal statement will not be rewritten for you and you are expected to have checked the spelling and grammar before submitting.
- Where possible a reviewer with expert knowledge on the subject will provide a review.
Check out our article on How to write an excellent personal statement in 10 steps, with expert advice from admissions tutors on how to write a good personal statement that will get you noticed!
Is there anything I need to do before submitted my personal statement?
Yes, to ensure the draft you submit is to a good standard please format it using our personal statement builder. Once you have added all of your content you'll be able to work through a checklist as well as being provided with feedback on your character and line count usage and a review of any clichéd words or phrases. It's worth changing these at this stage as the PS reviewer will tell you to the same. Make sure that the final draft of your personal statement is between 3,000 and 4,500 characters. Statements that are much too long or short will not be reviewed.
Where do I submit my review?
In our private and confidential Submitted PS reviews forum here!
How long will the review take?
We aim to complete reviews within 5 working days. Please don't submit your personal statement for review if you have a deadline within two weeks as you are unlikely to have time for a review and a redraft before your deadline.
*Please do NOT post your personal statement in the Personal Statement Advice forum - this is just a place to ask questions! Submit your PS for review here*