Plymouth Marjon University was founded in 1838 and originated in London as the UK’s first teacher training college. We moved to an attractive single campus in Plymouth in 1973, near the stunning South West coast of Devon and Cornwall, and achieved University status in 2013.
When you study with us, you’re never just a number. We make sure that financial, emotional and practical support systems are firmly in place at every turn. Thanks to small class sizes and high contact hours, you’ll get to know your course tutors personally, as well as spending lots of time with your course mates. Marjon Student Union (MSU) also put a great deal of effort into encouraging all students to mix together and have great times.
You can get involved with many sport clubs and use our fully equipped Sport Centre with world-class facilities including a floodlit 3G pitch, climbing wall, 25m indoor swimming pool and gym.
All this adds up to a great student experience. Plymouth Marjon University ranked joint 35th out of 160 universities in the country for student satisfaction. We showed the highest percentage point increase of any university for student satisfaction this year, scoring 89% for overall student satisfaction and 100% student satisfaction for some courses (NSS, 2016).
Plymouth Marjon University works with a range of partners from the sectors of education, sport, health and the creative industries to provide innovative programmes of teaching and applied research which result in very high levels of employability.
The University was named best in the South West for Education degree programmes by The Complete University Guide in 2016. We were also ranked 4th best University in the UK for sports facilities by Times Higher Education in 2016 and are the only University in South West England to hold laboratory accreditation by the British Association of Sport & Exercise Sciences (BASES).
Plymouth Marjon is a trading name of the University of St Mark & St John.
Our undergraduate programmes include:
- BA (Hons) Acting
- BSc (Hons) Biosciences
- BA (Hons) Business Management
- BA (Hons) Criminology
- BA (Hons) Childhood Practice
- BSc (Hons) Clinical Exercise Physiology
- BSc (Hons) Cyber Security
- FdA Early Years
- BA (Hons) Education Studies
- BA (Hons) English
- BA (Hons) English Language & Linguistics
- BA (Hons) Football Development and Coaching
- BSc (Hons) Forensic Criminology
- BSc (Hons) Global Education
- BA (Hons) Journalism
- BA (Hons) Law
- FdA Learning & Teaching
- M.Ost Osteopathic Medicine
- BA (Hons) Musical Theatre
- BSc (Hons) Nutrition
- BA (Hons) Outdoor Adventure Education
- BA (Hons) Performing Arts Education
- BA (Hons) Popular Music
- BSc (Hons) Psychology
- BEd Primary Education (with QTS)
- BEd Primary Education - Early Years (with QTS)
- BA (Hons) Primary Education
- BEd (Hons) Physical Education - Secondary Ed (with QTS)
- BEd Primary Education - Physical Education (with QTS)
- BA (Hons) Physical Education (non QTS)
- BSc (Hons) Psychotherapy & Counselling
- BSc (Hons) Rehabilitation in Sport and Exercise
- BA (Hons) Sociology
- BSc (Hons) Sports Therapy
- BSc (Hons) Sport, Physical Activity and Health
- BA (Hons) Social Sciences
- BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Sciences
- BA (Hons) Special Educational Needs & Disability Studies
- BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science
- BSc (Hons) Strength and Conditioning
- BA (Hons) Sport Development (Coaching and School Sport)
- BA (Hons) Sport Development (Sport Management)
- BA (Hons) Sport Coaching
- BA (Hons) Sport Development
- FdA Sport Development
- BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy
- BA (Hons) Theology
- BA (Hons) Youth and Community Work
Our postgraduate programmes include:
- MA Journalism
- MA Literature for Children and Young Adults
- MBA (Master of Business Administration)
- MA Education
- PG Cert in Coaching and Mentoring
- PG diploma in Early Years with Initial Teacher Training
- MPH Public Health
- MSc Sport & Exercise Psychology
- MSc Sport Rehabilitation
- MA Social Policy
- School Direct
- PG Dip/MA Youth and Community Work
- MRes Communication Disorders
- MRes Sport & Health
- MRes Social Science
This University is the best that I looked at, especially because it specialises in 3 main areas; Education, Linguistics, and Sport. I would totally recommend this uni to anyone who is at all interested in the courses on offer. It is a smaller university located on a single campus, which only makes moving between lecture easier! I've only been here for just over a week, and I already feel like I'm apart of the Marjon family already, and you do really get patriotic about the uni!
Find your perfect uni course at Plymouth Marjon University
Stats about Plymouth Marjon University
18 members connected
Last post 3 months ago by Samuel Howell
Last post 4 months ago by Ellie717
Last post 8 months ago by James9797
Last post 8 months ago by robyndaisie
Last post 9 months ago by Porridgeuk
Last post 9 months ago by PugDevil
Last post 9 months ago by AmberParslow
Last post 9 months ago by AmberParslow
Last post 9 months ago by TamzynP
Last post 9 months ago by Emilyy_xx
We're here to help with any queries you may have about studying with us so please get in touch with your questions.
There’s nothing like an Open Day to get to grips with what university life looks like. Not only will you be able to explore our campus, see the accommodation, teaching and sports facilities, you can chat to academic staff and our current students too.
Throughout the day there are subject talks where you can find out more about the courses you are interested in and their entry requirements. Our friendly and experienced academics will also be on hand throughout the day to help guide you through what to expect when studying with us.
You can also find out about fees and student finance, meet our Student Union team or get advice about your application direct from our Admissions team.
If you are interested in attending one of our Open Days then you will need to book a place. Don’t worry if you are unable to make the dates you can always contact us and book a campus tour at a time that suits you.
Student Life in Plymouth
Few places in the UK can rival Plymouth. Lively, buzzing, historically fascinating: Plymouth has it all, plus the sparkling sea and the lush green moors. The single campus of the university is nestled in between the two, giving students fantastic options to explore and have fun during their downtime. Plymouth is the cultural capital of Devon and Cornwall, so there’s always something special lined up. From the gastronomic adventure of the annual Flavour Fest to the spectacular displays at the annual British Firework Championship, thousands flock to Plymouth to experience the city that you could soon call home.
Plymouth Marjon University guarantees on site accommodation to all first year applicants, top up students and postgraduate students (some conditions apply).
We have 7 halls of residence and 38 houses in our ‘student village’. Students will be allocated a single study bedroom with either an en-suite or a standard room with a wash basin and access to shared shower facilities. All students have access to shared kitchen and communal areas.
With a variety of 456 rooms ranging from £85 to £110 per week, there’s well-appointed, university-approved accommodation for everyone.
Unlike many other universities where campuses and halls of residence sprawl all over a city, our University exists on one self-contained site. That means no rushing from place to place, relying on shaky public transport and missing lectures. No having to travel across town to catch up with your social group. It’s all here, right on your doorstep. The University encourages people to use public transport wherever possible. Staff and students can buy heavily discounted bus vouchers, and can use the George Park & Ride for free. All tickets and public transport information is available at the University's reception.
- Open Day - 10 June 2017
- Residential Summer School - 31 July - 3 August 2017 This week is open to Year 12s and 13s who are interested in experiencing university life. The students live in our halls, attend lectures and participate in evening activities on and off site.
12 places are available on each of the following pathways:
- * Culture & Language Sciences
- * Sport & Health Sciences
- * Education & Teaching
To register your interest please email: [email protected]
Other Contact Details
University of St Mark & St John
General: +44(0)1752 636700