Why Choose the University of Plymouth?
The University of Plymouth is a modern, campus university ideally placed right in the centre of Plymouth - Britain’s Ocean City. Situated in the South West, close to the beaches of Devon and Cornwall and Dartmoor National Park, this is an exciting place to live and study with a wide range of outstanding courses and a welcoming and supportive environment. There are lots of great reasons to study with us:
• Plymouth is a top ten UK modern university¹ with a Silver Award in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)²
• Rated in the top 25 universities for Job Prospects in 2019.**
• Plymouth benefits from vibrant city life, set within dramatic countryside with some of Britain’s most beautiful beaches close by
• Ranked 8th in the world – and 1st in the UK – for Marine and Ocean Engineering***
• We’re proud to be a top green university in the UK
• Top 50 Research Fortnight Power List
• 1st – Plymouth was the first university in the world to be awarded the Social Enterprise Mark
• Over 4,500 University of Plymouth students benefit from placements and work-based learning opportunities every year
• University of Plymouth Students’ Union (UPSU) – 121 societies and 4,300 members
• Our students’ union has NUS Green Impact ‘Excellence Outstanding’ status
• In 2017 the University of Plymouth was rated in the Top 20 Best Universities for Career Services (Student Crowd University Career Service Winners 2017)
¹ Times Higher Education ‘Young Universities’ 2019.
² TEF 2018. ** What Uni Student Choice Awards 2019.
*** The ShanghaiRanking Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2019
I moved to Plymouth in a sad state, missing my family and home in Ireland and initial look of the city wasn’t great because it is quite small. However throughout the years in biomedical and dentistry I have grown to love it and as soon as I go home no I do miss it. I love the outdoorsy lifestyle when it’s sunny and the people , especially students are so friendly and welcoming
Find your perfect uni course at the University of Plymouth.
Stats about University of Plymouth
254 members connected
Last post 12 hours ago by University of Plymouth Postgraduate Student Rep
Last post 1 day ago by University of Plymouth Postgraduate Student Rep
Last post 2 days ago by asap99
Last post 2 days ago by sara0772
Last post 6 days ago by University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep
Last post 1 week ago by University of Plymouth Postgraduate Student Rep
Last post 1 week ago by MRGeek180
Last post 2 weeks ago by Anonymous
Last post 2 weeks ago by University of Plymouth
Last post 3 weeks ago by spritemango
Teaching Excellence Framework Award (TEF)
Here at the University of Plymouth, we have been awarded the Silver certification for delivering teaching, learning and outcomes for our students that meet rigorous national quality requirements for UK higher education.
Explore the range of courses on offer at the University of Plymouth:
Plymouth Business School. An enterprising environment driving sustainable prosperity, enabling our students and partners to achieve their full potential.
Plymouth Institute of Education works with a range of partners to offer high quality research, undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
The University of Plymouth School of Art, Design and Architecture offers high quality, student-centred degrees, postgraduate programmes and research opportunities relevant to today's cultural, creative, architectural and design related industries.
The School of Humanities and Performing Arts combines world-leading research with undergraduate and postgraduate degrees within the disciplines of Art History, Dance, Theatre and Performance, English and Creative Writing, History and Music.
Interested in studying law, criminology, international relations or sociology? Find out more about the School of Law, Criminology and Government at Plymouth.
The Peninsula Dental School is committed to three core aims: outstanding clinical education; strong social engagement; and world class research which will all feature strongly in your learning experience.
The Peninsula Medical School is committed to three core aims: outstanding clinical education; strong social engagement; and world class research which will all feature strongly in your learning experience.
The School of Biomedical Sciences is committed to three core aims: outstanding clinical education; strong social engagement; and world class research which will all feature strongly in your learning experience.
The School of Health Professions has something for everyone interested in health and care–related professions.
Our courses in the fields of adult, child and mental health nursing and in midwifery have been designed with your career and the future needs of the workforce in mind.
The University of Plymouth School of Psychology is in the top 20 in the UK, with 50 staff and over 800 students.
Welcome to the University of Plymouth School of Biological and Marine Sciences. The school is a great place to study biology and ecology - fantastic location, great facilities and a choice of undergraduate and postgraduate courses to suit your interests.
The School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics is a friendly, creative and inspiring place to study. Including many internationally recognised experts, our staff are passionate about providing an innovative and inspiring learning experience.
The School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences is comprised of four distinct areas, each delivering exceptional teaching, support and research.
There is a vibrant, buzzing student community here at the University of Plymouth helped by the fact that our University-managed accommodation is on, or within short walking distance of the campus, so, everything you need to have a happy, healthy and productive time as a student is within close proximity:
- On campus, you will find a 24-hour library, the lively Students’ Union and a large selection of cafes serving everything from delicious fresh salads to deep pan pizzas
- Drakes Circus shopping mall and the main city centre is opposite the campus, with plenty of great cafes, bars and restaurants to choose from
- The city’s main attractions including the Barbican harbour and the Hoe seafront are a short walk away
- For fitness and wellbeing, there is a campus gym, a wellbeing centre and a host of support services from employability to counselling
- Entertainment options are plentiful with many clubs, bars and restaurants in the city. The nationally acclaimed Theatre Royal showcases some of the UK’s biggest and best productions throughout the year. In October 2019 The Barcode is set to open in Plymouth with indoor Crazy Golf, a new Cineworld Cinema and an array of new restaurants. In Spring 2020 'The Box' is also set to open providing a gallery and museum complex on North Hill which will house Plymouth's most important heritage collections in one site. A programme of high profile exhibitions, artist commissions and events will run alongside the permanent gallery displays, making The Box a key cultural attraction for the city and region.
- The National Marine Aquarium is the largest aquarium in the UK.
Here at the University of Plymouth, we want to make your transition to university life as easy and enjoyable as possible:
- We guarantee accommodation in halls for new full-time undergraduate students during their first year of study, subject to certain conditions. For more information, visit our website
- Over 700 university-approved shared houses and flats are also available to students. These properties are regularly visited by staff and meet the university's standards for safety and suitability. Contact us to find out more
- Weekly rents in halls of residence and approved student housing vary please refer to the most updated prices on our website
- All student accommodation is within a 20-minute walk from the campus and city centre.
The University of Plymouth has been rated in the top 15 best universities for their career services in 2017 by The Student Crowd.
We actively encourage students to engage on a lifelong employability journey that will see you:
- Explore your options
- Plan your career journey
- Expand your employability skills
- Challenge yourself to succeed
- Develop into a confident professional
The Careers & Employability Service offers free and impartial one-to-one careers information, advice and guidance throughout the year. All of our advisers are professionally qualified and experienced.
The best way to find out what’s on offer at the University of Plymouth is to visit us. Come along to one of our University open days and bring your friends and family to look around with you. We’ll show you around the campus and give you an insight into student life here.
Book your place and view our online open day videos by visiting our website.
Having a campus situated in the heart of the city allows fast and convenient access to all transport links both local and national:
- The rail station is just a five-minute walk from the campus, with services to London, south Wales, the Midlands, the north of England and Scotland
- There are regular coach services from most major cities to Plymouth, which is easily reached from the M5 motorway and the A38 Expressway via Exeter. It is about a three-and-a-half-hour journey from London to Plymouth
- For bus service information in the city visit the Traveline website or view the Council’s public transport webpages
- Drive time from London is around three and a half hours
- The closest airports are at Exeter and Newquay
- There are Park and Ride sites at Coypool, near Marsh Mills roundabout, the George Junction, near Derriford and Milehouse.
Other Contact Details
University of Plymouth
Telephone: +44 (0)1752 585858
Email: [email protected]
UCAS CODE – P60
Content was accurate at the time of compilation.
Discover a thriving waterfront city at the heart of the stunning South West
The University of Plymouth sits on the idyllic South Devon coastline at the very centre of the city. One of the largest universities in the region, our growing international reputation is matched by some exciting campus developments.
With excellent national transport links, great shopping and culture, top sporting opportunities, pristine seas and south-coast sunshine, at the University of Plymouth you can live the lifestyle that only the South West peninsula can offer.
The best way to find out more is to come and visit on an open day. Discover more about what the area’s got to offer, what’s on campus and all the details you need to find us.