Frequently Asked Questions

You can study abroad pretty much anywhere that has a university or college that you want to go to. Popular destinations for UK students include the USA, Australia, China, Canada and France.

If you want to study for a year abroad as part of your current university course, then your choice may be limited depending on your university or choice. However, if you want to study your entire degree abroad then you have thousands of options to choose from - you can literally apply anywhere you want to.

How long can I study abroad for?

It’s completely up to you and depends on what type of course you want to study.

If you want to study for an entire undergraduate degree you could be there for around 3 or 4 years. Alternatively, you could choose to study abroad for a year as part of your UK degree. You can even go abroad for just a term or as part of a summer school programme.

How much will studying abroad cost me?

The cost of studying abroad is going to differ from country to country, but there are some things to be aware of - for example the fact that China is one of the cheapest countries to live in whilst the USA has some of the highest tuition fees.

It’s worth looking around to see what best suits your budget, whilst considering the financial support available to you.

The price is also going to differ depending on what you study; you’ll pay different amounts for an entire degree in one country than you would for a summer school program.

If I study abroad full-time, can I still get Student Finance?

If you’re studying your entire degree in another country you are not entitled to receive Student Finance in the UK.

Some countries may offer their own version of funding in the form of loans, grants, scholarships or bursaries to international students, however you will not receive anything from Student Finance UK.

I’m just studying abroad for a year, can I still get Student Finance?

If you’re enrolled in a course in the UK and eligible for Student Finance here but your course involves studying abroad for a year, you are able to receive Student Finance for this year.

If you’re studying abroad as part of an Erasmus+ program you can find out more about the funding available to you by reading our article on Erasmus+ funded study abroad placements. 

Will I need a Visa?

Whether you need a Visa or not depends on where you’re studying.

If you’re a member of the EU and study in another EU or EEA country then you will not need a Visa, however you will need a valid passport and possibly a residency permit.

If you are studying in any other country - for example, China, USA, or Australia - then you will need to apply for a student Visa. Details can be found on each country’s student Visa page.

I only speak English, does this mean I can't study abroad?

No! There are two options for you; you can study in an English speaking country, such as Ireland, the USACanadaAustralia or New Zealand, or you can study in another country where courses are taught in English. While a lot of courses and universities in non-English speaking countries may ask you to demonstrate a knowledge of the native language, not all will require this - especially if you choose a course taught in English. This is possible inDenmarkSpainThe NetherlandsSwedenItaly and China

However, just because you're studying a course in English doesn't mean you won't need another language. You can always learn one whilst studying, as knowledge of another tongue is a great skill to have! 

Will studying abroad guarantee me a job?

While no degree or type of study can necessarily guarantee you a job after you graduate, study abroad may give you a better chance as it teaches you skills that employers are interested in - these skills include linguistic aptitude, cultural awareness, independence, confidence, the ability to get on well with many types of people and increased sensitivity, tolerance and understanding.

What do I need to take?

The specifics will depend on the country you are studying in, but the main thing to remember is to pack everything you need - it'll be much more difficult and expensive to just pop home and pick up something you've forgotten. However, try not to pack too much! You'll need to drag your luggage with you whatever your means of transport, so make sure you can carry what you have and don't go over any baggage allowances if you're flying. 

  • Before you leave make sure you have all your flight tickets and information - both outward and return journeys
  • Passport and possibly a Visa
  • Any other forms or documents you need that are specific to the country
  • Multiple photocopies of your passport and other important documents
  • Enrollment forms and university documents
  • Laptop / Tablet - this'll be a lot easier than taking a computer!
  • Optional: Webcam - if you want to Skype with your friends and family back at home
  • Plug adapters
  • Suitable clothing - dependent on weather, location and length of stay
  • Cards / Cash
  • Optional: A camera - in order to cement those beautiful memories! 

    If you still have any unanswered questions, pop over to our international study forum and see if you can find the information you need!

More from TSR...

Head over to the forums to ask all your questions about studying abroad