Sweden student visa requirements

As an EU student you don't need a Visa to study in Sweden, however, you do need to register for a residence permit with the Migration Board no later than 3 months after you've entered the country. To register you'll need:

  • Proof of enrollment of your course
  • Assurance you have sufficient funds to support yourself financially
  • Proof of comprehensive medical insurance which is valid in Sweden

In order to qualify for free tuition fees in Sweden you need proof of EU citizenship; this can be through presenting a valid passport, no more than 3 months out of date, a valid ID card or any other official document stating your citizenship which is attested by someone who must counter-sign the copy and print their name and telephone. 

Find out more...

Students with an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) will be entitles to access the Swedish Healthcare system in the same way nationals do. This means that there is a small fee to access most services. Usually to see a GP or doctor you'll have to pay the equivalent of £15 - £20. However, treatment is free for those under 20 and for those that do pay, there's a yearly cap so you'll never pay more than a certain amount.