USA student visa requirements

Once you’ve received an offer from an American university, there’s a lot you need to do in preparation for your departure. This includes everything from sorting out passports and visas, finding accommodation and filling in lots of forms.

When you’ve accepted your offer from a university and you’re a registered student you can apply for the F-1 Visa which you’ll need. To get this you’ll need to get the I-20 form from the DSO (Designated School Ofiice) and pay the SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Information System) I-901 fee to the SEVP (Student Exchange Visitor Program). When you pay this, you’ll be given a receipt and added to the SEVIS database where you’ll be given an ID number.

   Find out more...

The next stage is to have a Visa application interview for which you’ll need a few things:

  • Competed an signed DS-160 form (Non-immigrant Visa Application)
  • Valid and signed passport
  • 37mmx37mm photograph of your full face
  • Description of program of study
  • Transcripts from your most recent school
  • Test scores from any standardised tests / entrance exams
  • Accommodation information
  • Money to pay the application fee

Following this, if all goes well, you should be granted your Visa.

Then, once you arrive in the USA you’ll have to arrange for your own health insurance and, also, complete the I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record) form