Students studying outside of europe on an international exchange

Unlike with Erasmus placements, there is not a central body that allocates money to UK students who spend a period of their degree studying at a university outside of the EU.

All students will still be eligible for all of the student financial support that they normally receive in the UK. In general, if you decide to study outside of the EU you should expect to have to pay tuition fees as normal for the year to your university in the UK.

Funding arrangements vary greatly between UK universities and also between the international institutions that have exchange agreements with the UK. Some universities will have agreements whereby students will receive free accommodation for the duration or part of their exchange. Others may have agreements involving reduced fees or help with flights.

The best place to find out information on the support available at different universities or locations is to ask the study abroad coordinator in your department or speak to your university’s international office.