Support at university: students describe where to find help

Student support

Worried about getting enough support at university? Find out what other students found the most helpful

When you go to uni, there’s a lot of acclimatising that needs to take place pretty quickly.

Whether it’s mental health, a disability, money worries, or something else, many students will need access to student support services at some point during their time at uni.

So, before you make your firm choice, it can really pay to do your research and look at the services on offer.

To help you think about the types of services you might need to access as a student, we’ve pulled together some top tips from other students to show you what they found most helpful.

Some general questions…

First and foremost, think about your life right now. Do you have any current challenges that you’ll expect to continue to be an issue while you’re at uni?

If so, it’s worth researching what support services your shortlisted unis can offer you to make your student life easier, no matter if you’re an undergraduate or a postgraduate student.

“As well as joining societies or finding people you share things in common with, one of my biggest pieces of advice would be to not be afraid to access the support that is available to you at university.

"Although all universities have different systems of support (some of which are perhaps more effective than others) they’re useless if not used!”

Mark, student ambassador, Keele University
friends gathering round laptop

Looking after your mental health

Most unis have their own mental health support services. This will often take the form of counselling or therapy, or access to trained specialists who deal with mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety, eating disorders and stress.

If you think you might need support, accessing mental health services at an early stage can stop a minor issue becoming something bigger.

Try not to ignore an issue you're experiencing; dealing with it as soon as possible could benefit you in the long run.

“Many universities have a counselling service, which is provided free and has much shorter waiting times than NHS services.”

Origami Bullets, The Student Room member

Help with your career

During your degree you're likely to have questions about finding jobs and pursuing your chosen career path. If you want expert advice, your uni’s careers service should be your first port of call.

They can share specialist resources or provide guidance to help narrow down your job search. They could also put you in touch with graduates of the uni who are already working in your chosen field for advice and pointers.

“Your uni should also offer career help such as looking over your CV and helping to prep you for interviews.”

BurstingBubbles, The Student Room member

Getting financial support

For most students, uni is the first time you’ve ever had to manage your own budget.

Money worries are not uncommon. If you’re concerned about your financial situation, it’s best to contact your uni’s financial support team sooner rather than later to help you with any issues.

They can also help you to identify potential extra sources of funding, such as hardship funds.

“Unis have funds to help you and are usually able to advance a sum of money to get you out of your immediate problems, which usually isn’t repayable.”

Reality Check, The Student Room member

Support with housing and accommodation

Some students find it difficult to find accommodation, especially after first year when many people will move out of halls and into private housing.

If you’re struggling to find somewhere to live or are having issues with your current accommodation, your uni’s accommodation support service can help.

“There is a lot of support out there, so I would definitely recommend doing some research and finding the right support service that can help.

"Your uni should have the most useful links on their student support webpage - best to google ‘[university name] student support’ and you should get to the right link.”

Student Minds spokesperson, posting on The Student Room

Want to ask someone that’s already used the service? Gain advice from UEA students and benefit from their experiences via UEA's AskAStudent hub.

Help for international students

Many unis will help international students fund the cost of studying in the UK. Most will also offer services to help international students settle into life in the UK, find accommodation and meet other people to help welcome them to the uni and their new city.

If you’re an international student, it’s a good idea to find out in advance what services your uni provides so that you can feel more at home once you start. 

Support for students with disabilities

All universities are responsible for providing appropriate support for disabled students, whether that’s in terms of accessibility, accommodation, exam support, different resources or anything else needed to help you.

You may be eligible for extra funding or equipment as a disabled student, so contact your disability services team to book an assessment and to find out what support the uni can offer you.

"The DSA assessment is good, as the assessor sits down with you and sees what your difficulties are with studying and how best to help you. Mine was super useful and suggested a lot of different things.”

Pathway, The Student Room member
personal tutors

Getting to know your personal tutor

Personal tutors are there to help support you with the switch to uni life, especially in your first year. You can go to them for pastoral support, whether this is worries about your workload, personal issues that may affect your academic performance or anything else that is concerning you.

It’s best to meet your personal tutor sooner rather than later so that you feel more comfortable approaching them with any issues you may encounter.

“As much as tutors can feel like extra sources of academic pressure, they are actually there to help you!”

Jdawsonrules, The Student Room member

General health and sexual health services

Most unis have their own health centres; you can register as soon as you arrive. You will then have access to appointments like you would at home, along with sexual health services offering things like STI tests, pregnancy tests, contraception and free condoms.

Many students leave it until they need an appointment before they register, but it pays to be organised and get into the system ahead of time.

“I know our student union and university nurse give condoms away for free. You can even get a C-card so you don't have to say out loud what you want.”

~Kirsty~, The Student Room member

So, if you’re worried about the support available to you at uni, don’t be! Your uni support team is there to help you, and you should never be afraid to reach out if you have any problems - they will happily work with you to help you find a solution.

Our partnership with the University of East Anglia

The Student Room is proud to work with UEA, a UK top-25 university (Complete University Guide 2024) and UK top-30 university (The Times/Sunday Times 2024), as the official partner of our student life section.

Located on the edge of Norwich, a lively city full of secret gems just waiting to be discovered.

Visit their profile page to learn more or join the conversation on The Student Room's UEA forum.

Read more from the student life section 
Find out more about UEA on The Student Room 
Ask a UEA student a question about university
Study with UEA