Archaeology degree personal statement example (1g) Access course, voluntary work, Bristol offer

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

My interest in archaeology and history stem from the Horrible History books that I collected, and my main time period of interest was from the Saxons & the 1066 invasion of Normandy, to the Tudors. Since then my interests have deepened and have grown more academic in focus. The book that has inspired me the most at the moment is "The year 1000: what life was like at the turn of the first millennium; an Englishman's world" (by Robert Lacey and Danny Danziger), as it not only explains what an Anglo-Saxon's year was like, but it also contrasts their lives with the life of the more privileged at the time. I want to deepen my knowledge of these time periods and others as well by studying archaeology alongside history, as I want to know exactly what and why certain events happened with hands on participation unearthing facts as well as text book learning.

I am currently on a Science based Access Course. This course includes a variety of subjects that teaches me skills I will need for my chosen course at university, such as dating artefacts and laboratory skills .I have chosen to do this course as I have not been in education for a few years and I thought that this would give me the best opportunity to get back into it. It has taught me time management and organisation skills, as well as how to manage my priorities, which has helped me not only at college, but in my personal and work life as well.

I participate in a number of Saxon/ Medieval re-enactments around the country, which helps me have an insight to what life is like (as much as possible) in those time periods. I also volunteer at the local museum cataloguing various artefacts that have been donated. As my town was one of the five controlling boroughs of Danelaw in the 9th and 10th centuries as well as the river Welland and various roads within being a thorough access to the North Sea, I have witnessed and participated in various archaeological sites in my area with The Young Archaeologists' group in which I was an active member from 2002 to 2006.

I also volunteer for the British Red Cross and the volunteer fundraising committee that is organised by my workplace helping fundraise in my area. I have helped organise a sponsored abseil down the Maritime Museum with my place of work. I also work part time to take care of my family. My involvement within my previous schools and the local community has been rewarding. I was a peer councillor at my school and now in the volunteering community at my work. I have represented both my previous secondary schools in various regional championships involving playing classical and contemporary music. My biggest reward to date is achieving grade 6 in clarinet. Doing these activities has strengthened my independence in working alone as well as improving my skills with working with other people, which is needed in university.

I am enthusiastic about studying both of these subjects to extend my knowledge and understanding of the subject to degree level. I believe I have the skills and determination to become a successful archaeologist and I am really looking forward to the challenges and opportunities which university will provide.

• University of Bristol (BA Archaeology) - Offer (45 Distinctions) Firm
  • University of Nottingham (Bsc Archaeology) - Offer (30 Merits)
  • Cardiff University (BA Archaeology) - Offer (20 Merits) Insurance
  • University of Exeter (Bsc Archaeology) - Offer (23 Merits)
  • Canterbury Christ Church University (BA Archaeology & Medieval History) - Offer (13 Merits)