Biological sciences degree personal statement example (1a) Manchester offer

When I think about it, my interest in Biology all started when my mother told me that she was expecting identical twins. At the time I only had a very basic understanding of reproduction and I remember being utterly baffled, thinking 'How can there possibly be two?' Being inquisitive, I began reading lots of multiple pregnancy books and gained a greater understanding of how the zygote must split in two in the very early stages of pregnancy. I am still very interested in this area, as what causes the split is still a mystery amongst scientists. Nowadays my interest in Biology is much wider, for example the GM crop debate, stem cell research and of course evolution of life on Earth. An area that particularly interests me is research into methods of preventing the spread of malaria. I have read several articles about the issue. One intriguing method involves genetically engineering mosquitoes to be malaria resistant. Entomologist Michael Riehle has altered a 'signalling protein' that stops the gut from developing normally, preventing the malaria parasite developing in the mosquitoes. Although there are still initial problems with the scientific research, in this case giving the GM mosquitoes a competitive advantage, it is cutting edge, experimental science like this that makes me excited to study Biology.

A particularly inspiring book that I have read is 'The Selfish Gene' by Richard Dawkins. This book, for me, brought alive the theory of evolution by natural selection. By using modern understanding of genetics it explains social behaviour observed by biologists. I found how selfish greed can impact child behaviour particularly fascinating. It is this passion for Biology that is the fundamental reason for pursuing it further.

Through my studies at A-Level Biology I have furthered my knowledge, but facts are not everything. Using this knowledge and applying it to unheard of situations is exciting and challenging. This is one of the reasons that I am so interested in a Biology degree. Mathematics A-Level has encouraged logical thinking that is crucial in order to be a successful scientist; in addition I have gained mathematical understanding that will be essential during my degree. In History I have gained important problem solving and critical reasoning skills, something that I believe means that I am well suited to this degree as it is the essence of scientific reasoning and experimentation.

I was recently selected as 'Biology Prefect' within school. The role requires me to put into use team work and communication skills, things that will be vital for laboratory based assignments, whilst helping younger students who are struggling to build their confidence with Biology. I also believe this illustrates my passion and commitment to the subject as I am willing to take an active role. I have participated in several debating competitions whilst representing my school. Debating is a particular extra-curricular interest of mine that I fully intend to pursue further at university. From debating I have learnt new skills, such as being able to formulate arguments on a wide range of topics, to communicating these views in a pressured situation. One of the things that I look forward to most at university is being in an environment where intellectual debate is encouraged, another motive for applying.

A Biology degree for me would be a pathway to being part of the wider scientific community who search for the truth about the world around us. I wish to dedicate myself to furthering our understanding of living organisms. This has been an ambition of mine for many years and shows that I would be absolutely committed to getting the most out of my studies.

• University of Manchester (Biological Sciences with Year in Industry) - Offer (AAA) Firm
  • University of Leicester (Biological Sciences) - Offer (AAB) Insurance
  • Cardiff University (Biological Sciences with Year in Industry) - Offer (AAB)
  • Leeds University (Biology) - Offer (AAB)
  • University of Gloucestershire (Biology) - Offer (BBC)