Biology degree personal statement example (1q)

Biology has been my passion for many years; it intrigues me, captures my imagination, and always leaves me with many questions that I love to answer. Indeed, travelling to Borneo for a month this summer provided a fantastic opportunity for me to experience a different environment first hand. As a naturally very curious, questioning person, science, and specifically biology, is the logical discipline for me to follow.

Studying biology at A-level has pulled together many strands of knowledge, from the atomic level up to ecosystems and the environment. I also enjoy studying psychology, as it compliments biology perfectly. My interest here was inspired when I attended a conference for ‘gifted and talented students’, in which lectures were held on a variety of topics, from Freudian psychology to dualist and monist philosophy. Studying French I developed new skills; confidence to talk to groups of people and an understanding of another culture. Music technology encompassed my love of music and its production, and being a highly computer based course I have become very comfortable doing complex tasks on a computer.

I am currently part of C.R.E.W (a Caring Response for Everyday Worries), in which I work closely with the tutor and students of a year 7 form, providing a friend, someone to talk to, or simply to help them if they get lost. I use my skills here; patience, excellent communication and my willingness to put in extra time and effort. I have represented the school psychology department at an open day, which involved discussing the course with prospective students, requiring confidence and interpersonal skills.

I recently took part in a World Challenge expedition to Borneo, I feel I have matured and become a more confident, motivated person as a result. I wanted to take part to challenge myself physically, but also mentally. Something that motivated me to join the expedition was having a goal to aim for; I am very goal orientated and push myself as hard as I can to achieve my goals. That applies to school – working towards exams, and home life – maintaining my fitness. Trekking in the rainforest was incredible; it increased my desire to study biology even more. Seeing the deforestation of the rainforest, and the extensive palm oil plantations in person really had resonance for me in terms of the political, economic and moral implications. Developing skills for later life is an integral part of the world challenge ethos, one which I can vouch for entirely. Leadership, teamwork, motivation, communication, money and time management – skills that apply both to an expedition and everyday life and work.

As a lifeguard at my local leisure centre, I am responsible for ensuring the wellbeing of the public when on poolside and also to maintain up to date first-aid training. Vigilance and attention are always required. Teamwork and communication are essential skills I have learned from my time working there.

Staying at the forefront of biological knowledge is paramount to me, as biology is such a diverse and quickly evolving area. As I am particularly interested in doing research I subscribe to New Scientist, I further my knowledge of biology by reading current articles; an example would be stem cell research, which is in the public eye of present due to its ethical implications.

I will be a valuable asset to an institution as an undergraduate, my drive, determination and goal orientated ambitions, along with my thirst for knowledge provide a solid foundation to build upon in university, and during my future career.