Personal Statement - Microbiology with Immunology 1

Microbiology with Immunology Personal Statement 1

My excitement for microbiology grew tremendously after a trip to the California Science Center for my homeschooling studies. They had an exhibit on infectious diseases and how the immune system defends against the daily siege of pathogens, which made a lasting impression.

My interests in immunology led to correspondence with Dr Orange, Professor of Immunology at University of Pennsylvania, in order to answer a question about in vivo antibody synthesis. He explained VDJ recombination, and recommended to read "Immunobiology" by Charles Janeway so I could further my knowledge of immunology. I also decided to attend a local American Society for Microbiology conference to network with local researchers and observe scientific talks.

I later posted on an immunology web forum about a HIV treatment I proposed after hearing about the subject at the ASM meeting. It was to use RNA interference to block translation of the "env" gene, which will render HIV unable to form its envelope, thus rendering it non-viable. I was contacted by email about the subject from Dr Bruner, a retired Cetus Corporation microbiologist, who offered his opinion as to my idea's feasibility, allowing me to make a number of refinements. Dr Bruner has since become one of my key mentors in pursuing a biotech career, and got me a student membership in the American Society for Microbiology.

Recently, I drafted a research proposal after reading Drs Andrew Taylor-Robinson and Glenn McConkey's research in malaria. The proposal involved cross-linking an antibody against liver-stage antigen 1 with diphtheria toxin subunit A to form an immunotoxin which will destroy the sporozoites in the liver. This will prevent or reduce progression to the merozoite stage, which will prevent symptoms from occuring, and also interrupt malaria's life cycle, thus preventing transmission. Dr Bruner suggested relevant literature to read to refine my ideas, and helped me integrate it closer with current anti-malarial research.

I eventually enrolled in Cerritos College to take a microbiology course. One major assignment was to create a group presentation on an infectious disease. Due to the professor having confidence in my understanding of microbiology and leadership abilities, I was appointed director of one of the six-student groups.

Organizing that presentation developed my team management and collaboration skills, which will be immensely useful to me as an industry scientist. I also learned how to present a complex scientific topic to an audience of laypeople in a clear, brief, and easily-understood format, a useful skill for when I have to give presentations to acquire research funding from investors or grant agencies.

During my free time away from my studies, I decided to teach myself the C++ programming language. A major project I worked on was coding a simulator of the Enigma cipher machine used by the Wehrmacht in WWII. This project taught me analytical, problem-solving, and resource utilization skills, which are imperative for a scientific career. I also enjoy playing the piano; I'm not very good at it, but it's still fun, and I've played in a few local recitals. It helps in developing my dexterity, my hand-eye coordination, and public performance skills.

I intend to earn a PhD, and start my research career in the drug discovery department of a biotechnology company, as I want to find real-world uses for my research. I also intend on returning to academia as a part-time instructor, in order to train young scientists.

• University of Leeds (Microbiology with Immunology) - Offer - Firm