Biomedical sciences degree personal statement example (1w) Kings College offer

"When he saw him, he was moved with compassion, came to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. (Luke 10:30-37, Bible)". It is admirable to hear that many centuries ago the Samaritans had knowledge in the treatment of people no matter how simple it was. From the use of wine to drug discovery, a Biomedical Science course will give me the potential to help protect and ease people's lives. I owe it to my mother, who works as a private nurse for igniting my interest to pursue a health science career. She at times works alongside biomedical scientists and I look up to them to be the Samaritans of today; creating advancements in treatments to help the ill and vulnerable.

Moreover my dedication for this course is reflected by my A Level choices. Biology is fundamentally about the structures and functions of humans. At AS in particular we covered how our human body can defend against diseases, such as the antibodies produced in our cells that can inhibit the growth and invasion of pathogens. Biomedical Science will allow me to study immunology in greater depth. Whereas chemistry has given me understanding in the structures of molecules for biological systems. I frequently attend chemistry lectures by the Royal Society of Chemistry and this demonstrates my eagerness to look at new content outside my syllabus. Also as part of my wider reading, I am doing the EPQ and the topic I have chosen is chocolate: friend or foe? My project involves investigating the physical and psychological effects of chocolate in the human mind and body. I feel that the EPQ can equip me with the skills I need for research projects at university, such as organisation and time management. My science subjects and EPQ overall has enhanced my ability to research, collate and analyse data.

Furthermore, to expand my understanding I did work experience at the Clinical Research facility in UCLH. I shadowed nurses administering new drugs to volunteer patients for chemotherapy. A biomedical scientist introduced me to the laboratory that kept the blood samples of the volunteers for analysis. Furthermore I went to RNOH pharmacy to view ward pharmacists checking patient's drugs. Significantly, I learnt the importance of drug administration, this will usually depend on the type of disease and person. These experiences have provided me with an understanding of the role of a biomedical scientist. For a year I volunteered for a charity called Cancer Research. Doing volunteering has made me more committed to helping people, whether it is through research in biomedical science or volunteering actively.

Additionally, I enjoy participating in extracurricular activities. I am very proud of achieving the Bronze Duke of Edinburgh. I learnt that problem solving and teamwork were important as we had to navigate through the countryside and build our own campsite as a team. This course will require myself and other biomedical scientists to work cooperatively. The NCS challenge has positively impacted my confidence due to meeting new people and visiting far places like the Lake District. I wish to become involved in societies and clubs during my time at university to develop my confidence. Another skill I possess is that I speak English and Filipino fluently, which has enabled me to respect diversity in any community. Having grown up in Saudi Arabia and moving to UK has also helped me with this. One of my aspirations is to work around the world, and I know a biomedical science career can enable me to achieve this.

In conclusion, I will utilise my past experiences and skills to become a successful biomedical science student. I consider myself to be a well-rounded individual, who will one day help the ill and vulnerable just like the Samaritans of today; the biomedical scientists.

Conditional Offers: Kings College London (AAB), Queen Mary (AAB), St George's (ABB), Brunel (BBB), Middlesex (BBC).