Biomedical sciences degree personal statement example (1u)

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

The importance and need for the research and development into medical technology can never be overstated. Having been born and partly raised in Africa, a continent that has been devastated by diseases such as AIDS and malaria (to mention a few) my interest in Biomedical Sciences peaked at an early age. Africa is without doubt the region most affected by AIDS and the resulting unnecessary loss of lives has highlighted to me the importance and the need for the research and development of new medicines and medical technology. The losses that I endured personally from these diseases have driven me into an unwavering interest in this field.

It is always fascinating for me to understand today’s biological world. This is the reason why Nadya Suleman’s well publicised case (the Octo-mom) captured my interest. By following her story, my understanding of the influence of new medical technology has allowed me to question the ethics of some of these medical developments and the impact on society. The “Octo-mom” case surely boggles the mind as one is left asking where is the balance between helping society and creating even more problems for it. Is it then ethical to give IVF to a person who already has 6 children? The morality behind reproductive manipulation and the general acceptance of interfering with human reproduction only because the technology exists is also of particular interest of mine.

Studying Biology and Chemistry at As level has broadened my knowledge and enabled me to develop a more investigative mind as well as enhancing my observation and laboratory skills. Maths has along with Economics increased my analytical, decision-making and problem solving skills. I do believe that this combination of subjects has given me skills with are key in partaking in a Biomedical sciences degree.

Outside of school, my interaction with residents at High Brooms, a local residential nursing home where I worked in the kitchen as well as serving drinks this summer gave me an opportunity to observe individuals plagued by degenerative diseases such as Cancer and Huntington's. This amplified my perceptions of the harrowing experiences that people living with such diseases go through and the level of care that is needed to care for them.

I also enjoy a range of activities such as reading and researching on current affairs such as the key issue of stem cells. Reading “Stem Cell Now” gave me an insight into the various medical advances involving stem cells and the ethical debate surrounding the use of stem cells. Another activity I enjoy is cooking as this gives me time to relax as well as enhancing my practical skills which are vital for laboratory experiments. Having a part-time job delivering newspapers from the age of 13-17 allowed me to learn about responsibility, commitment and punctuality. These are skills that I think are crucial and beneficial in studying a degree at university.

This degree will enable me to go onto study post graduate medicine and will help me to make an enlightened decision of which field to specialise in.

• St George's, University of London (Biomedical Sciences)
  • Queen Mary, University of London (Biomedical Sciences)
  • University College, London (Biomedical Sciences)
  • University of Sussex (Biomedical Sciences)
  • University of Brighton (Biomedical Sciences)