Computer science, computing and IT personal statement examples

student working on computer

Here you'll find a collection of computer science personal statements, all written by real students. Among them are some that have helped students make successful applications to universities such as Oxford, Imperial and Manchester.

Some also feature review comments from The Student Room personal statement review team.

Take a look through a few of these samples to get some inspiration for your own computer science personal statement. 

Computer science personal statement examples - top rated by students

We have lots of computer science personal statement examples that you can read through. To help you find the best ones, we asked students to vote for which they found the most useful.

The following personal statements are those that were the most highly rated.

Computer science degree personal statement example (1f) Oxford offer
Submitted by: Anonymous
"Computer Science interests me because it incorporates both logic and systematic working with a form of speed and automation that could..."

Computer science degree personal statement example (1g) Cambridge offer
Submitted by: Anonymous
"To study computer science or mathematics at university has been my dream from a young age. The aspect that fascinates me the most is..."

Computer science degree personal statement example (2d) Imperial offer
Submitted by: Anonymous
"The difference in the level of technology today compared to a decade ago excites me. This, coupled with the logic and..."

Computer science degree personal statement example (1z) with philosophy
Submitted by: Anonymous
"I am fascinated by the efficiency and power of computers: we route ourselves through traffic using mapping programs in our pockets..."

Computer science degree personal statement example (2i) Imperial offer
Submitted by: Anonymous
"My motivation for pursuing a degree in Computer Science comes from the challenge of solving difficult problems and the..."

Computer science and cyber security degree personal statement example (1a)
Submitted by: Anonymous
"As an entrepreneur with a passion for computers, cyber security, and cybercrime investigations, pursuing further education in the field of..."

Computer science and mathematics degree personal statement example (1c) 
Submitted by: Anonymous
"Computers let us harness the power of mathematics and have given us the best problem solving tool ever known. The study and..."

Computer science degree personal statement example (1b) with review and advice
Submitted by: Anonymous
"I have chosen to study Computer Science because I am fascinated by how computers work and I spend most of my spare time..."

Computer science degree personal statement example (2b) Manchester offer
Submitted by: Anonymous
"Since first being introduced to QBasic in secondary school I have been intrigued by how computers can be manipulated to work for us..."

Advanced computer science degree personal statement example (1a)
Submitted by: Anonymous
"I’ve always been fascinated with computer systems and networking. I taught myself the C programming language at age 16..."

Full list of computer science personal statement examples

B
D
E
F
G
H
J
K
L
M
N
O
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
C

Studying computer science at university

Choose to study a computer science degree and you will learn the skills that wlll enable you to create computer programs and systems. 

Computer science students can speclalise in areas such as artificial intelligence, cyber security, data management and virtual reality.

As a computer science graduate, you'll have a wide range of career paths available to you, from small business roles to positions at the heart of global corporations.

Explore computer science courses at UK universities on The Uni Guide.

Advice on writing your computer science personal statement

On The Uni Guide, we've got advice from universities on what they want to see in a computer science personal statement.

Among the tips shared by these admissions experts:

• Don't worry if you don't have experience, but be clear about your motivation for studying the subject
  • Highlight the skills you have developed outside the classroom
  • Reflect on the key elements of the degree you've chosen; show that you understand what it's about
  • Keep the focus on yourself and explain why you deserve a place on the course

More help with your personal statement

Personal statement examples

You can find personal statement examples for other courses by using this subject list, or by returning to our personal statements by subject page.

Other useful links